Your thoughts on green?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iacula

Is there anybody that cycles simply because it's greener? A lot of people like to feel virtuous because they know it is slightly 'greener', but I dont' think it's the sole reason anyone actually takes up cycling.

Unlike say eating, sleeping and other fundemental needs I suspect cycling is too frivolous an activity to have a single motivation. The most green thing we can do is probably live off the land and go to bed early. Cycling implies commuting to work or as a leisure activity which being complex "needs" are not strictly necessary for human survival.

I'll stop now.... I've reached the very edge of my philosophical thinking...

iacula said:
Cycling implies commuting to work or as a leisure activity which being complex "needs" are not strictly necessary for human survival.

You don't know what you are talking about, I cycle to the pub, how more necessary can a journey be?

iacula

From my perspective, "personal" Green activities are pretty much meaningless. I mean, why put out cardboard for recycling when every Tom, Dick and Harriet is oomphing about in a massive 4x4, China and India are forging ahead in a blur of Heavy Manufacturing Smoke and my local town centre is planning even more car-parks.

We can, just about, change our own habits and actions, changing other peoples is always the difficult bit. Just because we can't stop other people say fighting or stealing does not mean that we could or should take up these activities ourselves.

To quote Kant "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_imperative

Domestique

Über Member
To me there are at least three different types of cyclist.
The fitness rider
The rider who uses a bike for financial reasons
The green rider
I fit somewhere in between the first two. I have a car that does less than 5000 miles each year, but its getting expensive to drive and I have a feeling when its gone I will not be replacing it. Cycling will then, for me, be a financial reason. The fitness benifits will also help me long term as well, as will the green issues though :tongue:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm too lazy to budget properly, cycling cuts me a lotta financial slack.

Do it for sport as well as transport now (which means some of my transport gets re-branded as training).

Also cycling gives me that slightly dangerous outlaw edge thanks to the press etc.

I'd like to say it means I don't need to worry about parking but I'm running outta bike room fast. If I had a car I could just stick it outside the building (thankfully the flat's a rental- otherwise i'd be paying way over the odds for the off-road parking)

Top Bottom