Your top bodge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Some top notch bodges on here. Good work all round.

Time to dust this off again:

flow chart.JPG

:laugh:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
In a similar bodge the flush mech broke on my pan some moons ago, my bodge, drill a hole in the cistern lid poke a wire coathanger through and hook around the trigger, make a handle of it on the top....voila, several more years of successful flushing. Now if I wasn't single that would have been a few weeks at most.

I hasten to add that I have a completely new bathroom now...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_0568.jpg

When I used to drive this old Ford 'D' series, many moons ago, the windscreen wiper linkages fell apart quite regularly. The 'get me home' bodge was to tie some twine around each wiper arm, through the open windows and tie it together in the inside of the cab.
When it was raining, a few yanks to the left and right pulled the blades across the screen.
Damp shoulder though, as the windows had to be open for the bodge to work properly!

gbb

Legendary Member
Circa 2 years ago on a Saturday afternoon, a conveyor motor went all noisy, hot and vibrating a lot on me. No spare....
Strip motor from gearbox, test, now I know it's the motor.
Strip motor, bearing at the fan end is sloppy in the casting, casting is worn out.
Hmmmm...araldite, new bearing and some shim brass, centred it all up as best as possible and hope it's true or it will vibrate like the clappers when I start it up.
An hour later its rebuilt, turned it on....nice and quiet. Yessss.
'No guarantee offered or given, it might last a day, a week or all year' I warned them.

2 years later, it's still running. :laugh:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Circa 2 years ago on a Saturday afternoon, a conveyor motor went all noisy, hot and vibrating a lot on me. No spare....
Strip motor from gearbox, test, now I know it's the motor.
Strip motor, bearing at the fan end is sloppy in the casting, casting is worn out.
Hmmmm...araldite, new bearing and some shim brass, centred it all up as best as possible and hope it's true or it will vibrate like the clappers when I start it up.
An hour later its rebuilt, turned it on....nice and quiet. Yessss.
'No guarantee offered or given, it might last a day, a week or all year' I warned them.

2 years later, it's still running. :laugh:
That is a professional bodge.

gbb

Legendary Member
Circa 1979 I had a clapped out mini van. Brake lights suddenly failed....I'm not spending money on it, it's getting close to the scrap yard I suspect. The switch was on top of and part of the braking system, a valve IIRC. Disconnected the wires, spliced them so they were longer and reached the passenger seat and told my wife...brake...and she'd touch the two wires...brake lights come on.
Amazing what you're driven to doing when you are young, skint and need to do what you need to do. Couldn't envisage a bodge like that now..probably damage a modern car doing it.

Salty seadog

The day I moved into my previous house I hung some curtains in the hall window that were too long, so I cut the bottom off roughly and turned up a quick hem with staples. Those curtains stayed like that for almost ten years.

Ha ha, I did a similar repair but much more visible, net curtain took a 2 foot rip right down the middle, about 10 staples sorted that out for another few years.

midlife

Guru
Circa 1979 I had a clapped out mini van. Brake lights suddenly failed....I'm not spending money on it, it's getting close to the scrap yard I suspect. The switch was on top of and part of the braking system, a valve IIRC. Disconnected the wires, spliced them so they were longer and reached the passenger seat and told my wife...brake...and she'd touch the two wires...brake lights come on.
Amazing what you're driven to doing when you are young, skint and need to do what you need to do. Couldn't envisage a bodge like that now..probably damage a modern car doing it.

My mini van (reg numbers MBT 235F) had bits of dangling string to open the doors :smile:

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Wasn't that standard on those doors.

I think it originally came with a plastic covered wire that went from back to front of the door, by the time it arrived in my hands it had long since gone. Me and my dad improved it no end by hand painting it brown :smile:. It had been used by the BCF who had roundly trashed it !

Shaun

Salty seadog

oo oo, another one from some 25 years ago when i were a lad and had my first car, a beige metro with a red bonnet, class. an exhaust clip had gone awry, no worries just tie it up a bit. Jobs a good'un. Untill one goodly day doing about 80mph down the A20 I heard a bang and saw half my exhaust dancing down the road behind me, luckily it ended up on the edge of the carriageway and there was no one behind me. I got a replacement and that car did me proud for 6 months until the police stopped me one day decided it was a crock of sh*t for various undefendable reasons, gave me some paperwork to allow me to drive home at no more than 30mph and I got 4 points (the only one's I've ever had) and around a £400 fine.

I like this thread, i feel it could never end....:wacko:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I knew before opening the thread it would involve toilet cisterns. Modern flush mechanisms seem to be ill-thought-out, flimsy, pieces of parp that demand bodgery when they fail.

Our loo flushes only courtesy of two zip ties.

Ah zip ties; so many uses.
Two currently in one of the toilet cisterns to stop the handle from disconnecting the intenal mechanism ' cause I was heavy handed and stripped a thread.
One on one of my cycling overshoes after I broke the zip handle.
One on my seat post bag, after I broke the zip handle.
Two under one of my cars securing the fuel line after I kept breaking the proper clips. (Bit of a breaking theme here)
:sad:
Several securing the fuel line from the tank after I kept................

My Dad taught me how to fix blowing car exhausts with a baked bean can, wire and exhaust paste.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ta
I had one of those with the wires for door handles and an ignition button thingy on the floor.:smile:

Talking of minis, i had a few when i was younger. They had a fault with the windscreen washer motor, so i always carried a bottle of diluted washing up liquid on the small dashboard. If some muck got on the screen i'd wind down the window and squirt the stuff all over the screen. A bit dodgy when you're doing 90mph on the motorway!

Top Bottom