Your top bodge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Two friends at college each owned battered Renault 4s. Fortunately their MOT dates were few weeks out of sync. Bits were swapped from one car to the other so that each could each pass the test. Eventually an eagle-eyed MOT man spotted that the entire underside of one car was held together with pop rivets cunningly camouflaged by a skilfully-applied coating of mud.

I have a mate who years back used to spam his cars up for MOT, normally involved packing holes with carrier bags or newspaper then bodyfiller over the top with fake "weld" accents.

Ironically he now works for the DVSA (VOSA) as a vehicle inspector..

OP
OP
C

Crackle

In the early days of my relationship with Mr Summerdays he lived in a house with a dodgy loo thing. The seal had gone and the owner of the house was rather poor but discovered a certain brand of pate had the right dimensions! So every now and again they had to go out and buy the pate so a replacement seal could be created. I think this system carried on for about 10 years after Mr Summerdays moved out!
At first, I thought they made the seal out of pate. Now I was thinking, a nice smooth Brussels Pate would probably be best as coarse farmhouse pate would be too porous.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4534984, member: 259"]My phone is knackered so I'm going to have to bodge the power button in order to take a photo of my previous top bodge, which involved a mountain bike and a bottle of rioja.[/QUOTE]
You have reminded me of a bodge on an old phone I bought second hand. It was probably sold due to having a dodgy button. The photography shop wouldn't give a quote without us handing over £50 for them to give us a quote, not even a vague ball park figure so we could decide whether to go ahead. Mr Summerdays discovered that you could fashion a new button out of a match stick carefully cut down and whittled away. Then covered with a bit of micropore tape. Eventually it would need replacing every now and again. One time I remember taking a photo over the side of the ferry to Larne and feeling the match stick in my finger briefly before being whipped away over board. No more photos till we reached my aunts house!

Sharky

Guru
Another "bodge" I was quite proud of was when I was commuting some years ago. My freewheel was starting to play up on the journey to work in the morning. Sometimes engaging and sometimes "freewheeling" in both directions. But I got to work. However on the way back it went completely and I was stranded about 10 miles from home.

So my "bodge" was to use a leather toe strap and wind it round the spokes and round the large sprocket and effectively turn it into a fixed wheel. I made it home just, but the poor toe strap had to be ditched.

And one my Dad told me about. He was out and one of the group punctured and for whatever reason, they could not repair it. So they stuffed the tyre full of grass and made it home. Don't know if it was true, but it would have been a good bodge if it worked.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
One from today's BBC News......

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-37816776

A motorist "fixed" his car window with plastic sheeting and tape, leaving a small peephole to see his mirror.

He was pulled over by police in Northampton on Saturday while driving the white Toyota at about 12:00 BST on Wellingborough Road.

Officers, who seized 30 cars that day as part of a road policing operation, said it was an "interesting concept".

BEEEEEPP!!

..... Sorry mate, I didn't see you
(Quite literally)!!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Another top bodge. Replaced the washing m/c today but the hose was different to the old one and didn't fit the completely non standard Ikea trap waste outlet. I could have replaced the section with the waste outlet but they were all longer and I foresaw headaches in keeping the rest of the cunningly routed pipework in the right place. So instead I bought a standard waste pipe fitting (see tapered bit in pic) and sawed it down at the bit of taper which fitted my waste outlet, wrapped it in PTFE, screwed it on and shoved the waste hose on. Just tested, bodge is a good 'un.

Plumbing-a-dishwasher-or-washing-machine-5-300x225.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Another top bodge. Replaced the washing m/c today but the hose was different to the old one and didn't fit the completely non standard Ikea trap waste outlet. I could have replaced the section with the waste outlet but they were all longer and I foresaw headaches in keeping the rest of the cunningly routed pipework in the right place. So instead I bought a standard waste pipe fitting (see tapered bit in pic) and sawed it down at the bit of taper which fitted my waste outlet, wrapped it in PTFE, screwed it on and shoved the waste hose on. Just tested, bodge is a good 'un.

Plumbing-a-dishwasher-or-washing-machine-5-300x225.jpg

I removed a dishwasher and had the flip-side of that as my problem. Fixed it with a cork from a wine bottle which was a perfect fit for the left-over pipe. In truth I forget till I realised the cupboard was filling with water when emptying the sink.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I removed a dishwasher and had the flip-side of that as my problem. Fixed it with a cork from a wine bottle which was a perfect fit for the left-over pipe. In truth I forget till I realised the cupboard was filling with water when emptying the sink.
Not a top bodge!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Another plastic pipe one I was proud of. I hadn't realised that 2" pipe and fittings come in two sizes - one for gluing and another for pushfit. Anyhow I ended up with a 90 degree bend to fit the other kind of pipe. I managed to mount it in my lathe and carelfully bored the hole out by about 1mm and it fitted great. Top bodge eh reader!

Sadly I no longer have a lathe but one day will get another

Top Bottom