Your very 1st time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I remember bumping into a gas street light.

Slick

Guru
Much the same for me. I bought a cheap bike from Halfords just to keep me occupied while I tried to kick the smokes. Maybe did a couple of miles before I got to a very slight downhill section that I was too frightened to go down in case I couldn't get back up. :shy:

It made me smile every day after as I passed the same spot on my commute. :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I was given a red trike for my birthday. Went to the end of the road and back. Brilliant bike. I loved it. It had different coloured streamers coming out of the end of the handle bars. There was a step between the 2 back wheels where someone could stand behind and put their hands on the riders shoulders. I was about 7 years old. ^_^

I was given a red trike for my birthday. Went to the end of the road and back. Brilliant bike. I loved it. It had different coloured streamers coming out of the end of the handle bars. There was a step between the 2 back wheels where someone could stand behind and put their hands on the riders shoulders. I was about 7 years old. ^_^

Sounds like my bike, too. White saddle, IIRC.

tom73

Guru
I can't really remember much about my 1st ride. But this thread has made be remember the 1st ride I did once both stabilisers came off (can even see my Dad doing it as I watched him.) My mum being at one end of the lawn willing me on and my dad following on from behind steading me a I went in the way only dad's can do :smile:

Come to think of it it's the same lawn I used to test out my new bike all these years later. Sadly no parents around to see it :sad:

snorri

Legendary Member
I can't remember how old I was, but was lucky to be able to learn on a step through frame bike, although I could not reach the seat, and the handlebars became quite scraped after bouncing off the wall at each side of the narrow lane I was using for my learning experience. Most of my friends learned by putting one foot through the triangle below the crossbar on adult bikes. Smaller framed bikes were a rare sight at that time.
After thinking I had mastered the balancing thing I went off on my first pedal around the block, whilst nearing the end of the third side of the block I felt sufficiently confident to steer with my right hand whilst signalling a left turn ...............big mistake. I lost control and crossed the road then crashed over a railway line to find myself lying between the tracks and feeling quite sore. I've never given a hand signal since:biggrin:.

Top Bottom