Your very 1st time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Earliest memory, I must have been two'ish and was on a child seat on my dad's bike or it may have been their tandem. Anyway, my hat blew off and I must have cried. At least that's what they used to tell me for years after.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Yep, twas on a Raleigh budgie. First solo ride without stabilizers I jumped 5 cars, popped a 5 mile wheelie, and made the chicks laugh no end.

FTFY

It is amazing how fast a week flies by I suppose.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Can you remember it? :becool:
I thought you were getting a bit personal there but glad I carried on reading.
I remember my first child bike, it was blue and the year was probably 1956. I never used stabilisers and learned to ride in less than half an hour. My father was so surprised that I still remember what he said to my mother when we got back inside. " That's it, he can ride a bike."

Levo-Lon

Guru
My lovely older sister gave me a push ,i peddled like mad for about 15 yds straight into a tree.
This was my first independent ride with no stabilizers.
Got back on and never looked back..

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Somewhere around 1964 my mum and dad turned up to meet me from school with a second hand bike they had got from a local bike shop. it was dark blue with rod operated front and rear brakes and 20 inch wheels. They took me to the local park and learned to ride there on that afternoon. How far I went I can't remember, but on day 2 I was away on my own and never looked back.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Very early eighties, 8 to 10 years old. A borrowed bike on a slightly downhill gravel drive with a bend at the bottom.
The combination of gravel and bend ensured you learnt not to fall off pretty quick!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My lovely older sister gave me a push ,i peddled like mad for about 15 yds straight into a tree.
This was my first independent ride with no stabilizers.
Got back on and never looked back..
Very similar with Henry, slightly older, whose theory was the faster you went the more the balance just sort of did itself, so he pushed hard and it worked quite well.....up to speed, balance fine, hey, this isn't so BANG. Who put that tree there?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I was about 5 and we had gone to the house of family friends. The daughter put me on a bike at the top of a hill that sloped down to a lake and pushed me. I think she was hoping I would plop in but I learned to balance and steered to one side. I remember it so clearly.

So if you are a woman aged about 64 and born Tewson, thanks but you failed to soak me and taught me to ride instead.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
6824676B-D580-4794-A2C1-D41EFE73AF42.jpeg

I guess this is cheating as I had stabilisers still.

I progressed a bit.
08D46602-40A8-4C3D-8089-488E2828CCEB.jpeg

Then a bit more

C8D5766F-C5E5-4782-A13F-1A7DE80C2FBA.jpeg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Can you remember it? How far did you ride? I think my 1st ride was about 100 metres ! Sitll cant do long distance, most i can manage is about 35 miles, still not bad for a little old lady :becool:
I was already an ...erm... older little lady when I got my first bike, on a whim at a car boot sale.
My first ride was around 12 miles round trip :becool:

tyred

Legendary Member
I can recall my first ride without stabilisers - across the yard where Dad kept his lorries, looking back at my Dad shouting "I told you I could do do!" with him running after me telling me to watch where I was going, seconds later I collided with the front bumper of a Leyland Octopus. Leyland - 1: Me - 0 :cursing:

In my defence the lorry was dark blue and not wearing hi-viz so how was I expected to see it?

BSOh

Über Member
My brother was 5 and had learned to ride without stabilisers. I was 2 and half and insisted that I too wanted to ride without stabilisers. I had such a tantrum over it, my dad gave in and hacksawed off the stabilisers on the Raleigh chippy trike I had just to shut me up. And I rode it . :laugh:

My dad told me this story but I don't remember it. I remember the chippy though, loved it :becool:

Top Bottom