Your Worst Music Concert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Mad Al & The Dandy Lions - Heolddu Leisure Centre - 1982

Even worse - I was in the band :laugh:

richardfm

Veteran
UB40 at the NEC in Birmingham years ago were disappointing. I enjoyed their first few albums but this was just flat.
Richie Blackmore at Wembley Empire Pool. He played a very short set, about half an hour and then f***ed off.
Numerous bands at festivals over the years

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Van Morrison on an off-day.

Also a Bournemouth Symphony orchestra performance of a piano concerto where the soloist got lost in the score (misunderstanding, I think, over the number of repeats of a phrase) and the orchestra clattered to a halt.

bobzmyunkle

Richie Blackmore's Rainbow c1976. Friends gave me a ticket on the condition I drove. I thought I'd get something out of it even if my tastes had moved on from Deep Purple. Very loud and extremely tedious.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
and I nearly forgot - Mai Tai at Dollars in Merthyr Tydfil

Only two of the trio turned up - and they mimed!

Of course, this is run of the mill for today's Cowell Chuck-ups, but back then, that was a stoning offence

richardfm

Veteran
Van Morrison on an off-day.

Also a Bournemouth Symphony orchestra performance of a piano concerto where the soloist got lost in the score (misunderstanding, I think, over the number of repeats of a phrase) and the orchestra clattered to a halt.

Oh yes, I forgot Van Morrison. The second time I saw him was in the hope that he couldn't be as bad as the first time. He was.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Levellers, 1992, Preston Guild Hall. I quite liked them up until that point, but every song sounded the same and I've never listened to them since.

The Unthanks, 2019, Morecambe. It was their back to basics acapella tour and whilst it was nice for 15 or 20 minutes, two whole sets were feckin' tedious. And the chairs weren't very comfy.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A lot of stadium gigs are a disappointment, because its hard to create and atmosphere in a huge arena where a good chunk of the audience is sat down. I say The Police (i think) at Twickenham years ago, it was OK but a bit Meh.

The issue is once a band make sit big, hey want to play big stadiums because it rakes in more money. but the atmos at small venue gig is always better.

I did take the OH to see Take That (yes I know :laugh: ) at MK footy ground, and whilst the music is not really to my taste, it was actually a great atmosphere (mainly shrieking 50 -60 old women in the audience) but have to say Take That have cracked the "getting a good atmosphere at a large stadium formula". It has to be more than a gig, its a whole performance and light, set and sound show. Maybe a heady atmosphere of HRT drugs helps:okay:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Gary Moore. Gloucester Leisure Centre. Tedious blues rock soloing and way too loud. That said, Meatloaf, Wishbone Ash, T'Pau, and X Ray Spex are all contenders, too!

I saw Gary Moore at the Hammersmith Odeon as it was then, in 1986 or there abouts, and I have to agree, way too loud.

Top Bottom