you're meant to wear a vest!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adunn01

just experienced my first driver road rage since starting commuting to work a couple of months ago in Glasgow.

A WVM passed me with about 9 inches to spare on the way down Union Street (a lot of traffic lights on the way down so it's very stop-start). At the next set of lights I stopped about 3 cars in front of him and turned round to look at the van. The second I turned round he leant out the window to shout abuse, most of which I didn't catch but which ended with "you're supposed to wear a vest". I didn't manage to stay 100% calm, and shouted back "so you couldn't see me in daylight because I'm not wearing a f*cking vest". We exchanged some more abuse before the lights changed and I headed off down the hill

adunn01 said:
just experienced my first driver road rage since starting commuting to work a couple of months ago in Glasgow.

A WVM passed me with about 9 inches to spare on the way down Union Street (a lot of traffic lights on the way down so it's very stop-start). At the next set of lights I stopped about 3 cars in front of him and turned round to look at the van. The second I turned round he leant out the window to shout abuse, most of which I didn't catch but which ended with "you're supposed to wear a vest". I didn't manage to stay 100% calm, and shouted back "so you couldn't see me in daylight because I'm not wearing a f*cking vest". We exchanged some more abuse before the lights changed and I headed off down the hill

It's very likely that I have came across this chap before. I seem to be having a few runs ins with white vans at the moment!

OP
OP
A

adunn01

This was my first run in with anyone, made the commute a bit more interesting tbh!

Got his number plate, but only because I knew checking it would wind him up more!

Keith Oates

Janner
Although it's not easy to do when someone has shouted abuse at you, but a smile and wave very often stops them in their abusive tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wafflycat

The basic lack of half-decent manners in how road users treat each other was brought home to me, yet again, yesterday. At the moment, I'm doing more motoring than normal, as Mr Wafflycat has a leg in plaster, so he can't drive. As a result, I'm on chauffeur duties getting him around various bits of East Anglia & the SE to see clients. Yesterday was a day on rural roads, much narrow stuff with passing places dotted about, for vehicles to pull in when required. Now I'm a polite sort of person, brought up to say please & thank you. So if a vehicle pulled in to a passing place to allow me to pass, I'd give a thank you wave. But, the number of folk, who when I was the driver pulling in to a passing place to allow them to proceed that blankly stared ahead with no acknowledgement at all was noticeably high. Similarly, I was on a narrow lane - there was an oncoming cyclist. So I pulled over on to the verge to allow him to continue on his way without having to go into that nasty gravel trap at the side of the road. Not so much as an acknowledgement. Ignorant twit: I *know* I'd have given a thank you wave if I was on my bike. There is too much selfishness/ignorance on the roads, and you get it from all sorts of road users.

PBancroft

wafflycat said:
There is too much selfishness/ignorance on the roads, and you get it from all sorts of road users.

Quoted for truth.

I am reminded of that Honda advert about everyone just trying to get somewhere.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
tdr1nka said:
I find that just holding up my mobile phone, as if to take a picture, swiftly
brings about a passive climbdown from most of the idiot motons I encounter.:eek:

I did that. The bus driver pointed to his camera so i blew him a kiss:laugh:
He had passed me close and cut in:angry:
I wish i had got my phone off from my bars and filmed the guy that eventually came after me. That would have been good to watch, and to see his reponse:laugh:
You should of asked Mr WVM where his was, and why he didnt have one on, what would of happened if he wasnt seen and was hit?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
beanzontoast said:
My mobile's so old it doesn't have camera.

Might be useful as an impromptu Tony Soprano-style cosh should it come to fisticuffs. Or you could use it to distract younger assailants to make your getaway while they mock it.

Bollo said:
Might be useful as an impromptu Tony Soprano-style cosh should it come to fisticuffs. Or you could use it to distract younger assailants to make your getaway while they mock it.

Worst of it is, we have 2. Mrs Beanz has one just like it. I'm trying to convince her that mine is on its last legs a shiny new camera phone would make a nice present for her birthday next week.

Top Bottom