Youth scarers - a new one on me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 5031653, member: 9609"]we had a town centre commercial property where youths would gather outside drink themselves into oblivion and vandalise about everything, if I had know about these devices I would of had half a dozen extra loud ones.[/QUOTE]
So what passive approach could be used to prevent vandalism without attacking those with good (or unusual) hearing?

keithmac

Guru
I don't tend to notice my tinnitus until someone mentions tinni... ah fuggit!

I honestly can't remember the last time I heard (or didn't hear!) silence.

Seems to just be a part of life for me.

Mines not half as bad as what others have mentioned but it's always there.

How "loud" does it have to be to be classed as tinnitus?.

classic33

Leg End Member
I honestly can't remember the last time I heard (or didn't hear!) silence.

Seems to just be a part of life for me.

Mines not half as bad as what others have mentioned but it's always there.

How "loud" does it have to be to be classed as tinnitus?.
Usually it's an internal "noise" in the ear, not the volume that defines it.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 5031802, member: 9609"]Anyway, moving on

Where do you get to with this test. I can get up to just over 18k and the wife only 11k. However in some instances her hearing is much better than mine - I can now not make out what other people are saying in a busy pub / cafe type enviroment

here is the test (I guess you need reasonable speakers)?
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html[/QUOTE]
Somewhere between 9 and 10k, which surprises me more than it ought to given how much time I spent listening to my personal stereo when younger. That said, I don't know whether my laptop speakers go much higher anyway.

There does seem to be a second lower tone that kicks in when the indicated frequency reaches 9k, which I assume is some kind of processing artifact/aliasing/dunno what? Or maybe it's not there at all and my brain is making it up

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I can't imagine how difficult that must be. Despite slightly damaged hearing, when it's supposedly silent, I can still hear lightbulbs (all sorts, including incandescents, not just the fluorescent low-energy sort - it makes winter more difficult because more lights are on more), the high-pitched elements of road noise from a few miles away and yes, those anti-social youth-scarers despite not really being young any more. I hope any shop that's been missold them realises that they're hurting and deterring some adult customers too.

There are very few places remaining which feel completely silent to me - right out in the middle of the fens when there's no traffic, else it's places like combinations of dense woodlands, hard stone quarries, geographic cols and a few others.
Under water is good.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5032885, member: 9609"]don't think you can stop young men being young men - their brains are fried with testosterone from about 12 to 22, anything can happen at any time. Apart from tazzering there's not much stopping them.[/QUOTE]
It's not just young males that are vandals.

Top Bottom