Youth scarers - a new one on me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I can hear very little above 5 kHz, but worse than that is the fact that I effectively have a comb filter eliminating certain lower frequency sounds altogether. I used to work with one person whose speaking voice happened to hit some of my dodgy frequencies. When I was in project meetings it became a bit of a farce because I could understand what all the other people were saying but had to keep asking him to raise or lower his pitch so I could hear him. He would remember for a few sentences but would drift back to his natural pitch and to me it was like he had then stopped speaking.
Weird! Kind of reminds me of that thing they always taught at school about how marching troops are always ordered to break step when crossing a bridge, lest their march should by chance correspond with the bridge's natural frequency.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Weird! Kind of reminds me of that thing they always taught at school about how marching troops are always ordered to break step when crossing a bridge, lest their march should by chance correspond with the bridge's natural frequency.
I watched a film with friends where a character suddenly stopped what they were doing and took out their phone. I asked friends if they heard it ring and they replied that it was quite loud but I couldn't hear it. I replayed the scene with the volume on my soundbar turned up really high and I could only just detect it. Everyone else was begging me to turn the volume down because it was painfully loud.

Anyway, what were we saying? Oh, yes ...

Hey, speaker, leave them kids alone!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The inability to pick out voices over background noise can be a sensory processing disorder rather than a hearing problem.

ie, a problem in the brain not the ear. I speak from experience, and my eldest child has recently been diagnosed with the same : it's a problem in noisy classrooms or if the room has bad acoustics.
It can also be the case if there's a problem in the ear, resulting in the maximum amplitude felt being lowered. Take an audio sample of a crowded room, then limit the maximum volume, renormalise it and listen, trying to distinguish any single speaker from the background noise.

[QUOTE 5031802, member: 9609"]Anyway, moving on

Where do you get to with this test. I can get up to just over 18k and the wife only 11k. However in some instances her hearing is much better than mine - I can now not make out what other people are saying in a busy pub / cafe type enviroment

here is the test (I guess you need reasonable speakers)?
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html[/QUOTE]

I do have difficulty hearing certain frequencies in a noisy room though, to the extent that I don't like to meet certain people in the pub because the frequency they speak at makes it very hard for me to hear them.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
17.5K even with my tinitus

Interesting. 12,500ish for me. At 56.

I do have difficulty hearing certain frequencies in a noisy room though, to the extent that I don't like to meet certain people in the pub because the frequency they speak at makes it very hard for me to hear them.

9600 then it merges in with the tinnitus.

Which of course won't go away now.

D

Deleted member 26715

I watched a film with friends where a character suddenly stopped what they were doing and took out their phone. I asked friends if they heard it ring and they replied that it was quite loud but I couldn't hear it. I replayed the scene with the volume on my soundbar turned up really high and I could only just detect it. Everyone else was begging me to turn the volume down because it was painfully loud.
I can hear my phone vibrating on silent ring in the other room whilst my/the wife/life partner/significant other/the one I love more than anything else in the world/whatever snowflakes allow me to call her, cannot, yet she (can I call her she?) can hear it ring when the volume is turned up, yet I cannot.

Jody

Stubborn git
9600 then it merges in with the tinnitus.

Which of course won't go away now.

I suffer with tinnitus, and wear hearing aids.

5000 without hearing aids.
8000 with hearing aids.

I wonder what frequency my/the Wife, er indoors, the missus, the wench, her ladyship, swmbo, (please delete any version which offends you), speaks at?
Could explain my so-called selective hearing.

I feel for you both. Although my tinitus is not obtrusive or debilitating, it is a pain in the arse hearing it at all times of the day. Even worse when you are somewhere you know will be virtually silent. The only escape I get is when listening to music. My friend is deaf and suffers bouts that are so loud he has to take time off work, usually coupled with an inner ear infection. Apparently his sounds like a ship fog horn and is low in frequency but mine it two or three high pitch frequencies.

Have you been offered or considered cochlea implants @Oldfentiger.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Have you been offered or considered cochlea implants @Oldfentiger.

Pardon? :tongue:

I've never heard of cochlea implants, but then I hate gardening.
Seems I have some googling to do.

Jody

Stubborn git
Pardon? :tongue:

I've never heard of cochlea implants, but then I hate gardening.
Seems I have some googling to do.

My friend was 100% deaf in one ear and had 10% (only low frequencies) left in the other. Great at lip reading but sometimes you couldn't have a conversation with him even when sat next to each other. Had a Cochlea implant in his good ear and can now hold a conversation in a different room or even when playing a computer game with the back ground noise, staring at the screen and concentrating. It was a big gamble severing the nerve and potentially losing what little hearing he had but its worked a treat.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Far too many people of all ages suffer from over-noisy rooms in public places like schools and restaurants. Quite simply the acoustics are too lively and sound reverberates around, especially high-frequency sound, making it difficult to hear speech. This is down to bad architecture, plain and simple. The installation of some sound-absorbing materials soaks up high frequencies and makes the environment much more bearable. The material can be anywhere in the room, it just prevents reverberation.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I feel for you both. Although my tinitus is not obtrusive or debilitating, it is a pain in the arse hearing it at all times of the day. Even worse when you are somewhere you know will be virtually silent. The only escape I get is when listening to music. My friend is deaf and suffers bouts that are so loud he has to take time off work, usually coupled with an inner ear infection. Apparently his sounds like a ship fog horn and is low in frequency but mine it two or three high pitch frequencies.
I can't imagine how difficult that must be. Despite slightly damaged hearing, when it's supposedly silent, I can still hear lightbulbs (all sorts, including incandescents, not just the fluorescent low-energy sort - it makes winter more difficult because more lights are on more), the high-pitched elements of road noise from a few miles away and yes, those anti-social youth-scarers despite not really being young any more. I hope any shop that's been missold them realises that they're hurting and deterring some adult customers too.

There are very few places remaining which feel completely silent to me - right out in the middle of the fens when there's no traffic, else it's places like combinations of dense woodlands, hard stone quarries, geographic cols and a few others.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod note:
If you think that will upset them I think you are insulting them & more misogynistic than I am (if I am at all), however this is now way way off topic
You have been told by females that they find the phrases offensive. That should be sufficient. This is not the place to explain to you why many females find such phrases offensive (although if you look back up this thread you will find some clues).

I can hear my phone vibrating on silent ring in the other room whilst my/the wife/life partner/significant other/the one I love more than anything else in the world/whatever snowflakes allow me to call her, cannot, yet she (can I call her she?) can hear it ring when the volume is turned up, yet I cannot.

I wonder what frequency my/the Wife, er indoors, the missus, the wench, her ladyship, swmbo, (please delete any version which offends you), speaks at?
The above posts are effectively trolling. Any further such posts will be removed.

D

Deleted member 26715

Mod note:The above posts are effectively trolling. Any further such posts will be removed.
Sorry I disagree, we have been told what we cannot say, but what they have not told us is what we can say, what do I call the person who shares my life, am I even allowed to call that person the person?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sorry I disagree, we have been told what we cannot say, but what they have not told us is what we can say, what do I call the person who shares my life, am I even allowed to call that person the person?
How about 'my wife' as suggested further up the thread?
@User13710 explained it quite clearly in this post.

If you cannot see why the moderation team regard your quoted post as trolling, PM the moderators account. We will explain there.

Top Bottom