Youth scarers - a new one on me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My group ride at the weekend ended where it began - in the market town of Easingwold in Yorkshire.

As we were putting bikes back into cars, one of our number, @EasyPeez (Andy), asked me if I could hear the siren.

"No," I answered truthfully.

Andy could hear an irritating high pitched whine.

Turns out there's a youth dispersal device bolted to a wall in the centre of Easingwold.

It is the sort of place where yobbos would gather of a night time.

Andy, being a younger man, could hear it.

Me and my 59-year-old chum Steve could not.

I'd heard (ho-ho) of dog whistles, but a youth scarer was news to me.

Anyone any experience of them?

Drago

Legendary Member
Its called a mosquito. Been around for donkeys. All the rage in the early 00's to stop gangs of youths hanging round outside shops etc. They work at a frequency that we quickly lose the ability to hear as adults.

Government guidance to councils etc is not to use them, but nothing stopping private premises using them.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Its called a mosquito. Been around for donkeys.

Government guidance to councils etc is not to use them, but nothing stopping private premises using them.

Cheers.

This one is bolted to a building in the Market Square, which may be private.

Although as you might imagine the surrounding thoroughfares are open to the public.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As an alternative, some places play classical music.

There's the germ of a posh yobbo comedy sketch there.

"Well I'll be jiggered, Sophie."

"What's that, Tarquin?"

"They're playing Brahms."

Last edited:
A turbo version would be good, blasting the little miscreants to the back of beyond.

But then again, I'm a liberal ^_^
You know it works on all people below a certain age, not just the ones you don't like? If I was aware an institute I patronised used one, I would take my business elsewhere. Making young people feel they are not welcome just because they are young will not make our society better in the long run.

Though I feel a bit miffed I didn't think of developing it when I was twelve. That was back in the day of a single TV per household, and my brothers and I could always tell if one of us had snuck off to watch TV out of official viewing times, because of the high pitched whine from (presumably) the CRT. We could not convince my mum we could hear the TV coming on with the volume off from 3 rooms away.

Top Bottom