Youth scarers - a new one on me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
At the risk of taking my own thread too seriously, I see Easingwold Town Council was told at a meeting last year of 15 complaints of disorder, mostly relating to youths by the look of it, given that Youth Dispersal Orders were mentioned as a solution.

The coppers were talking about bringing reinforcements from Thirsk.

It all has the ring of 'Heartbeat', but no doubt is serious for the affected residents.

Text at 16/84:

http://www.easingwold.gov.uk/Minutes/1608.pdf

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Though I feel a bit miffed I didn't think of developing it when I was twelve. That was back in the day of a single TV per household, and my brothers and I could always tell if one of us had snuck off to watch TV out of official viewing times, because of the high pitched whine from (presumably) the CRT. We could not convince my mum we could hear the TV coming on with the volume off from 3 rooms away.
It was the whistle from the line output (or flyback) transformer. 25 frames a second of 625 lines, so 15.625 kHz. That sound used to annoy me a lot when I was young but my hearing loss is so bad that I can barely hear 1/3 of that frequency now.

I nearly deafened my colleagues once ... I had a 100W/channel amp hooked up to some big monitor speakers and was working on a digital audio system. One of my workmates came running over to me with his fingers in his ears and screaming at me to turn that effing noise off. I was completely unaware that my audio system had crashed and was sending a very loud high-pitched whistle through the speakers! :wacko:

It was the whistle from the line output (or flyback) transformer. 25 frames a second of 625 lines, so 15.625 kHz. That sound used to annoy me a lot when I was young but my hearing loss is so bad that I can barely hear 1/3 of that frequency now.

I nearly deafened my colleagues once ... I had a 100W/channel amp hooked up to some big monitor speakers and was working on a digital audio system. One of my workmates came running over to me with his fingers in his ears and screaming at me to turn that effing noise off. I was completely unaware that my audio system had crashed and was sending a very loud high-pitched whistle through the speakers! :wacko:

That's the price one pays for geekery ^_^

Past your bedtime junior?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 5031382, member: 45"]Whenever I go into our Homebase with one or both of the boys, they complain about the painful high-pitched sound in there. I've spoken to the manager and he said that it's not a mosquito.[/QUOTE]
I had that experience in a music shop in Manchester in the mid-1980s when my 30-year-old ears could still hear high-pitched tones. I complained to the manager and he told me that the shop had an ultrasonic burglar alarm and he had forgotten to turn it off ...

I was watching some tech videos on YouTube while typing this and by an amazing coincidence one has just appeared in the 'Recommended' list which is about high frequency hearing loss in older adults! :eek:

classic33

Leg End Member

Brown Note?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had that experience in a music shop in Manchester in the mid-1980s when my 30-year-old ears could still hear high-pitched tones. I complained to the manager and he told me that the shop had an ultrasonic burglar alarm and he had forgotten to turn it off ...

I was watching some tech videos on YouTube while typing this and by an amazing coincidence one has just appeared in the 'Recommended' list which is about high frequency hearing loss in older adults! :eek:

There's an argument (isn't there always?) in hi-fi circles that an expensive system is wasted on an older person because that person cannot hear the frequency range the system reproduces.

Top Bottom