Zero miles in January.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This must be the first full calendar month in about 20 years that I have done ZERO cycling miles.
A combination of factors, but having this lingering winter bug thing since just after new year; weather alternating between sub zero with ice, and wet/windy; and a general lack of cycling mojo have all contributed.
On the positive side, my niggling left hip pain has improved significantly. I have done some investigation into this and come to the conclusion that I have been riding with my saddle set too high. So going to follow the advice found on several "bike fit" videos and lower my saddle, to see how it goes.
It's February tomorrow, so hopefully going to kick start my cycling year at the weekend as the weather looks reasonable.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve not done any either…holiday, knee op, bad weather/not taking any risks ahead of op.
Not sure I’ll get out in February either due to knee, maybe I’ll manage exercise bike time at physio/gym :sad:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
4 rides in January, first and second January felt fine, woke up on the third and have had the worst lergy (shifting symptoms) for a long time,
mid month tried a couple of rides and with hindsight wish I hadn't as probably put my recovery back.
The very cold weather and ice I don't suspect has helped.
Possibly try short ride this weekend as still not full recovered...

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
You're probably not unusual or unique @Brandane.

One small jaunt for me logged in "Tiny Rides" right here. On a Sunday afternoon when it was mildly warm (**Ref: Not absolutely Freezing) and with dry roads to boot. I've done my fair share of running / walking. And alot of cycle prep, upgrades, maintenance etc. And planned a few rides with friends for 'Summer', one for Charity with all the work bunch etc. Its just the actual riding bit i've given a miss *for now :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Started on New Year's Day and carried on with some commuting and a few leisure rides to do a bit over 200 miles in Jan.
@Brandane you are a complete and utter failure..... If you are bothered?

I have almost religiously done around 4000miles/pa in recent history (apart from 2018 when I was recovering from a serious rta), but last year was only 3100 miles. No big reason for this drop but, meh! Who cares?

It's supposed to be fun. When the fun stops, stop!

vickster

Legendary Member
Started on New Year's Day and carried on with some commuting and a few leisure rides to do a bit over 200 miles in Jan.
@Brandane you are a complete and utter failure..... If you are bothered?

I have almost religiously done around 4000miles/pa in recent history (apart from 2018 when I was recovering from a serious rta), but last year was only 3100 miles. No big reason for this drop but, meh! Who cares?

It's supposed to be fun. When the fun stops, stop!

I did over 3600 miles last year :smile:

Knee op has scuppered me, I can barely walk, let alone cycle!

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I thought I had slacked a bit this month, I have trying to shed the Christmas excess, but looking at it I did slightly more millage this Jan than last Jan and I don't remember feeling bad about it then.

The weather has been awful, I have used the car a few times on journeys I would never normally do, but hopefully, things are looking up.

Alex321

Veteran
I managed 225 miles outdoor in January, in spite of the weather.

But that was well over 100 miles down on last year, when I managed 352 miles. January weather really was lousy for cycling.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I only did a couple of short rides early in January, one of them with my grandson, being is first ever ride on his new bike. He is 10 years old and enjoyed it with more rides with him planned when the weather improves. Had one session on the turbo last week too but I don't enjoy that.
3500 kms done in 2022.

steverob

Guru
I'll admit that my total mileage for January is the lowest for me since I re-started riding back in 2013 (and before that I never went out in winter anyway) at just 76 miles - two rides of about 35 miles for the Half Century challenge on my road bike and one pootle on a Santander bike in London after work one evening. Last year it was 239 miles in Jan, which was an all-time high for me, so it's swings and roundabouts I guess!

And it's mainly the weather that has done that - won't go out on frosty roads any more like I used to in my youth after one spill too many - but at least I can ride indoors on the trainer, which is better than nothing and keeps my legs turning.

Top Bottom