Zing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 2251182, member: 259"]I've been banned from growing butternut squash as everyone except me hates it :sad:[/quote]
NO:eek: - it is the food of the gods .... I've already had some today as soup at lunch but that was left-over from a previous meal, the rest of the family had something else so I don't feel guilty serving it for tea too.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Well yes, that was odd.

I'm always amazed at thrown away pizza. Not that people seem to think it's recyclable, but that anyone leaves any to throw away! I always polished any leftovers off for breakfast...

When I was a young punk some of the more desperate members of the cider sodden grapevine that was the Ipswich music scene used to regularly drink their cider by the bins out the back of Pizza Hut. Apparently totally fresh untouched pizzas pretty much used to go straight from the oven to the bin.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
[QUOTE 2251182, member: 259"]I've been banned from growing butternut squash as everyone except me hates it :sad:[/quote]

What? Butternut squash and chick pea curry is the food of the gods; the gods of ozone puncturing flatulence, but gods nonetheless.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm packing up to move house and found some jars of shallots I pickled in 2007 and forgot about - they're a bit like eating solid Scotch with a touch of chilli thrown in. Must be something I can do with them other than just eat them with cheese.
I'd use them in a curry.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Made one this evening, although using hugh friendly-watsits recipe - yumtus!!

Yumsley, actually today I made sure I'd got the stuff in for this for tomorrow's lunch. I'll check out Huge Furry Whippet-stalls recipe before kick-off...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sounds nice.

I made an aubergine curry last night - roast them and cool them and scoop out the flesh and mush.
Fry loads of chilli and some onion until a bit crispy. Ginger and garlic then fresh tomatoes and coriander, cumin and garam masala and cook till the spices are cooked out. I added green beans and peas as well as the aubergine flesh and cook for 15 mins. Finish with loads of fresh coriander.

Lovely with dhal and naan.

Plenty left for tonight as well :hungry:

Chicken livers with pomegranate... sounds nice : any tips - how they did it / served it?

Cheers.
in a bowl.

http://www.ililirestaurant.co.uk/lebanese-food . They've not got an alcohol license, so you have to pop in to Sainsbury's (three doors down) to pick up a bottle of red beforehand. The cooking is exquisite - and take a look at those prices.

The Turkish/Polish shop just down the way from Ilili sells pomegranates so I gave it a go last week. Not as zingy as Ilili's, but not bad.

longers

Legendary Member
Ooooh, go on...........:hungry:

Sorry about the delay, I wanted to make it again before offering it up.

It's supposed to serve 4-6 people - Get some starters, side dishes and or puddings organised if for 6!

First job is to grind up some cardamoms - 1 and 1/2 tsp needed.

Then slice 6 cardamoms in half and fry for a few seconds in hot oil.
Add some fine chopped fresh ginger and a couple of chopped cloves of garlic, a couple of chopped green chillies, two diced onions and a dozen or so curry leaves.
Fry this until golden.

Next in is 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp ground coriander and 1/2 tsp of the ground cardamom.
Chop 1lb of tomatoes quite finely, stir the pot and chuck them in. Add a dash of water or two.
Cook the tomatoes down, stick the rice on to cook.

While the rice is cooking add as many prawns as you want to use to the pan plus another half tsp of ground cardamom.
Just before serving dollop some natural yoghurt (to suit/taste - maybe 2 or 3 tbsps) and stir in.
Serve with remainder of the ground spice, fresh coriander and black pepper.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sorry about the delay, I wanted to make it again before offering it up.

It's supposed to serve 4-6 people - Get some starters, side dishes and or puddings organised if for 6!

First job is to grind up some cardamoms - 1 and 1/2 tsp needed.

Then slice 6 cardamoms in half and fry for a few seconds in hot oil.
Add some fine chopped fresh ginger and a couple of chopped cloves of garlic, a couple of chopped green chillies, two diced onions and a dozen or so curry leaves.
Fry this until golden.

Next in is 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp ground coriander and 1/2 tsp of the ground cardamom.
Chop 1lb of tomatoes quite finely, stir the pot and chuck them in. Add a dash of water or two.
Cook the tomatoes down, stick the rice on to cook.

While the rice is cooking add as many prawns as you want to use to the pan plus another half tsp of ground cardamom.
Just before serving dollop some natural yoghurt (to suit/taste - maybe 2 or 3 tbsps) and stir in.
Serve with remainder of the ground spice, fresh coriander and black pepper.
Smashing, thanks. :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
You're welcome, you might like to know my dad is still using that bike. It does him good.

Doseone

Guru
From the Kings of zing - Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby, possibly my favourite cookbook ever "Salsas, Sambals, Chutneys and Chow Chows" comes the recipe for Puerto Escondido Salsa Roja De La Mesa:

3 Large very ripe tomatoes (good ones!!)
1 cup tomato juice
2 tablespoons minced chipotles
1 red onion diced very small
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
Half a cup fresh coriander
half a cup of lime juice
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper

Method: Mix 'em together. That's it.

Makes me think of summer. It's nice with deep fried plantain rounds.

Top Bottom