Zing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I just had marinated aubergines for lunch. Based, in a slapdash sort of way, on a recipe from the Silver Spoon. Lots of finely chopped garlic, chilli, capers, mint and parsley, salt and pepper - dress some warm grilled or fried aubergine slices with this, top with a little olive oil and leave overnight. It's rather like the first few seconds when you get in the sea - food to remind you with a slap around the chops that it's good to be alive. Banish the bland, and talk zingy food to me. I want salsa verde, kimchi, lime pickle and lemon surprise pudding (not all at once, obviously). Just before Christmas I was introduced to chicken livers with pomegranate at a Lebanese in Streatham High Road. Bring it on.

U

User169

Ceviche is pretty zingy! Especially good if you can find some sea-urchin gonads. Any left-over marinade - Leche de Tigre - can be drunk. Mix with voddy for an extra slap round the chops.

A proper pasta puttanesca should also have a bit of zing, although I noticed last night that the Silver Spoon doesn't have a receipt for it.

No chance. The nutritional value of aubergines is as compost for more worthy veg. And chicken liver is only good with apricots for a stuffing in a goose. Anything else is plainly subversive.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I bet you make your own pesto.

Doesn't everyone.

Bien sur!

The other great zingy thing I've had lately was the fattoush salad at morito on Tuesday, marinated cauliflower and radish, bit of rocket, sumac and crispy bits of flatbread, a cracking winter salad.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2249071, member: 1314"]Funnily enough, I made aubergines the other night. TT asked me for a recipe and it got me in the mood. I

baked the aubergine and peeled it

fried onions, green chillies, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds

threw in a tomato, greek yoghurt, garam marsala, red chilli powser, turmeric, salt, minced aubergine, patak’s lime pickle

Stewed

Lovely. Looks like puke but yummy. I took a photo to put on FB but, as I said, it looks pukey so will just post here!
[/quote]

Does look a bit like vomit, but sounds very nice.

Top Bottom