Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Avenue Verte from Dieppe. Absolutely fantastic cycle walking track that goes for 70miles towards Paris end in Gisors. We used it for 35 miles before turning off towards hotel.
In the spirit of Tommy photos

Avenue Verte + us
image1.JPG

bobinski

Legendary Member
Brings back memories. Before the rain bucketed down and we got lost:rolleyes:^_^

It's a sharp contrast to the UK part which is largely crappy roads.

Andy, glad to see it's dry for you all.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Avenue Verte from Dieppe. Absolutely fantastic cycle walking track that goes for 70miles towards Paris end in Gisors. We used it for 35 miles before turning off towards hotel.
In the spirit of Tommy photos

Avenue Verte + us View attachment 370951

Andy being a bit slow on the uptake, and not a regular of this thread. I've only just realised via strava you're on a family adventure to Paris!

Looks and sounds fantastic mate. I hope the weather stays kind and you find lots of great places to eat along the way!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Unfortunately it looks like Giant are unable to obtain a replacement frame for my 2y old defy disc so as some of you may have seen I have been looking at a card 12 frameset. But once I add in new BB, seat post and possibly stem and handle bar I am more than half way to the cost of a new bike. So I have had a read of this article and think I am pretty committed to the Caad 12 disc ultrega. I even like the mix of green and orange in the frame. It doesn't have bolt through axles so I can easily use my Hunt 4 seasons too and sell on the Aksiums.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/01/can...-evo-hi-mod-road-disc-bike-comparison-review/

Try before you buy Bob!

kipster

Guru
Likewise. I'm signed up and curious to see what it really entails and whether or not it'll keep my interest. At least some of the scheduled rides are a familiar format. Tool around the course at 2w/kg as a pack with a sprint per lap and an optional (short) race on the final lap.
I've also enrolled to see what it looks like. TrainerRoad sent me a link to a beta version of the next release which allows me to log in, so that is back as an option as well.

Unfortunately it looks like Giant are unable to obtain a replacement frame for my 2y old defy disc so as some of you may have seen I have been looking at a card 12 frameset. But once I add in new BB, seat post and possibly stem and handle bar I am more than half way to the cost of a new bike. So I have had a read of this article and think I am pretty committed to the Caad 12 disc ultrega. I even like the mix of green and orange in the frame. It doesn't have bolt through axles so I can easily use my Hunt 4 seasons too and sell on the Aksiums.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/01/can...-evo-hi-mod-road-disc-bike-comparison-review/
I just ordered this Screenshot_2017-08-31-18-22-42.png

JLaw

Veteran
Anyone here done the Friday LRC BCRS or EVR races? They show up as "A" races only on zwift, but in the race info they indicate multiple groups. Anyone know the real story?

[ Answering my own question. ] At least for the EVR race, it's still all groups, apparently there's some change in Zwift signups that has everyone registering in a single A category, but it's still open to all the usual categories.

Felt like a good effort on the Volcano CCW. 8 laps. Smaller field than the KISS races and a mass start. Given my habit of dropping off the pace on the climb at the end of lap 7, my goal was to ride with the fastest qualified C riders, whomever they were and stick with them all the way to the end.

There weren't enough C riders to make a good group, so I was with a mix of slower Bs and a few Cs and unknowns. The pace felt easier than the last time on the course. A few Bs went off the front and we captured a few unknowns. I was keeping pace with a M. Lloyd who seemed the fastest C rider on the course today we dropped the other C riders and were a group of 3 or 4 when the A cat pack came flying by.

Lloyd's avatar didn't seem to hit the gas to stick with them, so I didn't either. BUt I should have been watching his W/kg -- he did in fact hit the gas. By the time I realized it and ramped up myself I was simply unable to latch on -- I got close, but just not enough to catch his wheel.

He parlayed that into about a 1 minute gap as a I tried to recover at a more comfortable pace by myself and wait for a couple B riders that seemed to be gaining at a good pace. Caught their wheel as they came by and was able to hang on with them for a couple laps and we reeled in Lloyd.

Caught my breath as we rode around lap #7. Lloyd seemed content to pulse a bit off the front during lap #7, but never really went hard, even on the climbs near the end of lap #7. So it wasn't a huge effort to stick with him into the final lap. We were neck and neck on the final climb into the volcano, then he slowly started pulling away. He then used the aero right at the time I was ready to concede. In the end I think he took me by ~5 seconds.

Comparing this to the most recent effort on that course, it's obvious we were much slower today. Last time we had a big group at a frantic pace and I finished in 54:45. Today, smaller group, some time on my own. 58:30. Hell, a 54:xx would have put me solidly in the B cat. Maybe I should have aimed for a B group today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Arrived safely, not without tiny hiccups. In my quest to get my kids into cycling, their training has been hit and miss interrupted by illness, parties, festivals. My daughter came down with a chest infection a week or so before our departure, her training was going great albeit just high intensity spin classes, being new to London and not familiar with rides to do outdoors. My son had less inclination to ride and was off partying or festivals so missed out on regular rides building him up to decent mileage.
After the first time crunched day where we had to cover the 65 miles at a pace that didn't kill them too early and catch a ferry. Whilst praying it didn't rain. We managed to get to Newhaven with an hour to spare, which we needed to strip off our wet kit( got soaked from Brighton to Newhaven).

Day 2 more relaxed day, shorter and we had much better weather and wind direction. We took shelter from the morning showers having ditched our rain kit with Mum and the youngest (pit/food top up crew). My daughter spent most of the day falling off, three times! Not paying attention mainly:laugh:. No damage done thankfully. Her chest infection was clearing nicely.
My son started to complain of of thigh strain, which got worse, so we sort out a chemist and applied deep heat and painkillers to keep him going.

Day three started of with lovely roads great weather and wind direction, but at a steady pace to assess my lads leg. Dosed up from the start with brufen he lasted 2 hours before the pain returned. Regular stops were needed to let him have a little rest.
Our route took us through Gisors and onto a trunk road, which should of been only for a mile or so but the navigation had stopped pointing is where to turn off and with the traffic being so heavy I hadn't noticed it had stopped. We rode several miles on this busy highway ( not recommended). Eventually we picked up our lunch stop with the wife in Serans( ham cheese sarnies followed by doughnuts:hyper::hungry:.

My daughter now began to complain of Achilles pains:cry:
So more brufen administered.

Navigation woes were not improving, I tried several times to reload the days route, but the Elemnt wasn't working. This was the route that I modified to take in some of Google's directions. I had to navigate from village to village via Google maps, which was fine until in Google's attempts to keep us off busy roads we ended up in a less let's say desirable part of Paris suburbs:eek:. A quick high turn got us back on direction. Then wonderfully the Elemnt started workng again. We fought our way through ever increasing traffic, much like central London until we arrived at the Arc de Triomphe. :biggrin:

Proud of my kids and myself putting up with their moaning of aches and pains. Not really they did a great job :thumbsup:

I would recommend the Elemnt for its simple to follow routing and fantastic live tracking so the wife knew where we were all the time.

Onwards to Ventoux for me:hyper:
20170901_165706.jpg

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
just tried a little testing ride in bigringvr to see how i felt
didn't go out as no helmet
didn't do zwift as always ends up trying to catch someone
only 18km pootle but pleased with things - knee not too bad - shoulder no worse than standing still - headache no worse
so all in all happy little malformed bunny :crazy:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
just tried a little testing ride in bigringvr to see how i felt
didn't go out as no helmet
didn't do zwift as always ends up trying to catch someone
only 18km pootle but pleased with things - knee not too bad - shoulder no worse than standing still - headache no worse
so all in all happy little malformed bunny :crazy:
Try some of the Norwegian rides. Not too strenuous and scenery that's great.

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
:okay:. I'll post some videos of bits of the ride. The avenue Verte is something to see for those contemplating doing this ride. I don't know of anything in the UK that can match it

Please do. Trying to persuade Mrs B and nipper to have a go at half term. Not all of it just the first day or so. Stay overnight, turnaround and back.

Re your other post like I said we also got lost because we deviated off the main or recognised route.

Top Bottom