Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
So what do you guys want to do with the league this month? It's a bit of an odd one December of course, so I'm wondering if it's best to leave it this month but just try to at least fit in a handicap ride (or two maybe to tweak it after the first attempt?) instead

Hopefully there will then be some kind of Tour De Zwift event in January that we can use for our league as we have before?
Up for league this month 👍 maybe a handicap bonus s its a long month?

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Up for league this month 👍 maybe a handicap bonus s its a long month?
A league would be good, finishing up before Christmas and then some free for all races over the holiday week?
What about handicapped system based on last months times? Suitably adjusted for anyone that didn’t ride a stage and was awarded the max time. Wouldn’t want them getting an unfair head start! ☺️

BurningLegs

Veteran
So what do you guys want to do with the league this month? It's a bit of an odd one December of course, so I'm wondering if it's best to leave it this month but just try to at least fit in a handicap ride (or two maybe to tweak it after the first attempt?) instead

Hopefully there will then be some kind of Tour De Zwift event in January that we can use for our league as we have before?

Fingers crossed for Tour De Zwift :smile:

Seems like the majority so far would like a league this month. My personal pref would be a series of one-off events, e.g:
  • Hare and hounds race
  • Race up the Alpe
  • Team race (e.g groups of three with time taken as slowest of the three)

bridgy

Legendary Member
OK, for the handicap thing to work please let me know any ideas you have for doing it. My thought was to take our actual times for a TT on a course - E.G. Stage two of October's league - and run a race on that course with the person with the slowest time going first and everyone else tarting at the appropriate amount of time later. We may just need to make it a race from the very start (no lead-in) because I can see it getting tricky to get everyone stopped on the start line, and the elapsed time wouldn't be starting from zero by that point of course, so knowing when everyone else needs to go after the first person starts would get really complicated.

Any better suggestions? Oct stage 2 TT times and time gaps are as follows:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

I'm standing in for an injured @Randyberlin in the Bkool league this month so I probably won't be able to complete all zwift races this month. I'm going to add into that a few specific Zwift workouts to see if I can build my legs a bit as I'm feeling a bit zonked at the moment.

Should be back properly in Jan once Randy is back and in full fettle :okay:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
@IrishAl @bobinski @<Tommy>

I meant to post this up last week but forgot.

It's a Joe Rogan Podcast about the Game Changers Documentary.

Joe Rogan Podcast #1389 Chris Kresser

Interesting watch, YouTube, but quite lengthy @3 hrs. Not full on negative but it does quite a lot of debunking. The guy, Kresser, is an ex vegan and still mainly vegetarian iirc.
Thanks @theboxers. I lasted 12 days on a plant based diet until Friday when the missus forgot and ordered me a takeaway lamb, chicken, king prawn Indian curry . I could have politely declined but it would have been very rude of me 😁

When on veggie diet I didn’t get the immediate uplifted and healthy feeling game changers tried to suggest one would get from switching. It did however introduce me to a big variety of meat free meals which I would happily eat again but just incorporate into a more varied and balanced diet. Whether my cycling suffered from such a short stint remains to be seen :rolleyes:

OK, for the handicap thing to work please let me know any ideas you have for doing it. My thought was to take our actual times for a TT on a course - E.G. Stage two of October's league - and run a race on that course with the person with the slowest time going first and everyone else tarting at the appropriate amount of time later. We may just need to make it a race from the very start (no lead-in) because I can see it getting tricky to get everyone stopped on the start line, and the elapsed time wouldn't be starting from zero by that point of course, so knowing when everyone else needs to go after the first person starts would get really complicated.

View attachment 495138
Could it not be set up as a meet with each person getting an invite for there start time ,if you gather what I mean

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **

Great idea Bridgy. I take part in a team time trial where all of the teams set off at set intervals. It is just managed manually by each team knowing their starting time. I have marked up your sheet but just grouped together times and rounded to the nearest 15 seconds. It would probably also work rounding to the nearest 30.
It would work with Marino and Lee going off as soon as the meet up starts and the rest go at their allocated start time.
Race to the meet up finish banner.

where you thinking time trial bikes or road bikes? Road bikes would make it more tactical - I.e. do you try and catch the group/ rider in front or wait for those behind and then work together to catch the leaders....or time trial bikes with the added advantage of knowing where everyone is on the course.

2AE315A5-EC83-4A12-B6DB-7045074246D1.jpeg

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Great idea Bridgy. I take part in a team time trial where all of the teams set off at set intervals. It is just managed manually by each team knowing their starting time. I have marked up your sheet but just grouped together times and rounded to the nearest 15 seconds. It would probably also work rounding to the nearest 30.
It would work with Marino and Lee going off as soon as the meet up starts and the rest go at their allocated start time.
Race to the meet up finish banner.

where you thinking time trial bikes or road bikes? Road bikes would make it more tactical - I.e. do you try and catch the group/ rider in front or wait for those behind and then work together to catch the leaders....or time trial bikes with the added advantage of knowing where everyone is on the course.

View attachment 495159
I think if it's teams, then using standard bikes is better because then the stronger riders can help the weaker riders. Lack of drafting on TT bikes could be a factor.

For this reason, having even teams in size would probably make sense, with the 'finish' time being based on the last rider to cross the line (the stronger riders in a team, therefore, gain nothing by shooting off and leaving the weak riders behind.

Taking up Chris's idea, each team could have their own 'meet-up'. So, for e.g., Lee and Marino have a meetup at say 7 o'clock, set up by Lee and only inviting Marino. Chris, Michael and Andy have a meetup, set up by say Andy, who only invites Chris and Michael - their meetup is for 7:04. Next group have a meetup for 7:04:30 with Steen, Pete and me etc etc.

A few ideas there ... could work if we have enough riders commit to a day and we can get the teams sorted. I think so long as each team's start time is based on the slowest rider, then we could even have a stronger rider in that team as we only count the slowest time (e.g. I could ride with Lee and Marino at 7, and then the onus is on me to work with the other two to get us all around the course - I gain nothing by shooting off).

Last edited:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I think if it's teams, then using standard bikes is better because then the stronger riders can help the weaker riders. Lack of drafting on TT bikes could be a factor.

For this reason, having even teams in size would probably make sense, with the 'finish' time being based on the last rider to cross the line (the stronger riders in a team, therefore, gain nothing by shooting off and leaving the weak riders behind.

Taking up Chris's idea, each team could have their own 'meet-up'. So, for e.g., Lee and Marino have a meetup at say 7 o'clock, set up by Lee and only inviting Marino. Chris, Michael and Andy have a meetup, set up by say Andy, who only invites Chris and Michael - their meetup is for 7:04. Next group have a meetup for 7:04:30 with Steen, Pete and me etc etc.

A few ideas there ... could work if we have enough riders commit to a day and we can get the teams sorted. I think so long as each team's start time is based on the slowest rider, then we could even have a stronger rider in that team as we only could the slowest time (e.g. I could ride with Lee and Marino at 7, and then the onus is on me to work with the other two to get us all around the course - I gain nothing by shooting off).
The only problem with separate meet ups is that you can only start them at 5 minute intervals I.e 1900, 1905, 1910,etc

if everyone is in the same meet up then it is easy enough to coordinate with the people/teams just waiting at the start location until their time. Me our someone else can issue reminders via the message function.
To warm up those waiting simply put their app into pairing mode and they can spin away and their avatar won’t shoot off up the road.

mjd1988

Guru
Big fan of the team idea and agree road bikes makes sense.
Slowest person past the line probably makes most sense altho I like the idea of having a team leader as well- so if it were me Chris and Andy two of us would hammer the flats and launch Chris up a hill to finish, or me and Chris bring Andy to a finishing sprint, adds another layer tactics wise

Top Bottom