Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Maybe read this:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/the-myth-of-winter-base-training-for-cyclists/

I know the danger with the internet is that if you already have an opnion you can always find a voice that validates that opnion. But this makes sense to my brain.

Lars if I were you I’d be putting in at least one interval session a week.

I agree with some of their analysis, in that time crunched amateurs probably will benefit from more interval training. Nobody can sustain a high level of fitness throughout the whole year. Athletes need to dial back effort for some part of their season.

Lars predominantly favours TT riding so his season is Spring to Summer. He does seem to have the time to dedicate to mitochondria recruitment during the winter. As we age our VO2 does drop off more dramatically so the odd interval like you suggest Tommy will be of benefit.

An example for Lars, we have a club member who is fairly decent at TT, but he was disappointed with his TT times flat lining around 23.50mins. I listened into the other TT club members who were faster than him and told him he wasnt doing enough long rides to build a base to work from. He dedicated winter and early spring to endurance events 100-200 mile sportives and long club rides. This summer he smashed his TT times now down into low 22 mins knocking on 21mins, where this is fastest of our TT riders are.

He actually won our club TT title (Gods helped by removing current champion with fractured femur:ohmy:)

There is no guaranteed way for any of us to improve, it just seems for those who go the extra mile (pun) get the rewards ^_^

Last edited:

LBHIFI

Veteran
As I mentioned before, it's a bit of an experiment.
I have been struggling a bit to keep up the stamina in both real life TT's and Zwift races, so I'm hoping this is one thing that will improve.
Even in my last super short TT I had a "crisis" period which lasted for about one minut. Not good when the entire TT is only just over 12 minutes.
(Btw, I love Strava's comment "This was easier than your usual effort." :B) )
https://www.strava.com/segments/21833965?filter=overall

Another thought was that I will loose base when I start my TT-oriented workouts, and with a great base to start with, I would be able to afford it better.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
As I mentioned before, it's a bit of an experiment.
I have been struggling a bit to keep up the stamina in both real life TT's and Zwift races, so I'm hoping this is one thing that will improve.
Even in my last super short TT I had a "crisis" period which lasted for about one minut. Not good when the entire TT is only just over 12 minutes.
(Btw, I love Strava's comment "This was easier than your usual effort." :B) )
https://www.strava.com/segments/21833965?filter=overall

Another thought was that I will loose base when I start my TT-oriented workouts, and with a great base to start with, I would be able to afford it better.

I totally get that. And the miles you’re putting in can only be a positive thing.

Persoanlly I don’t think it will help with your stamina issue anymore than if you were doing your rides at a higher effort. In fact I think it will help less or the same. It will stop your body from becoming fatigued as quickly as the week goes on during training. But I think you’re losing power a v02 max. So it’a a question of where the balance lies. Is it better to do a combination of low and higher intensity work for example?

I don’t have the answer to that. But as you say it’s a bit of an experiment and I’m very interested in what you find.

My issue is the opposite. I can’t do long endurance based rides because my wrist won’t let my ride for much more than an hour. So my short term power and cardio is rising rapidly but I think I’ll suffer badly on long rides. Hopefully after Christmas I can do more.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

The premise is that the harder and higher intensity will build your fitness to a higher level. Like Tommy suggested the either end training seems to reap the best results.

The balance is how much high intensity at this time of year?

My last spring/summer was a complete wash out with comfort and enthusiasm issues. I have different priority to you, but would like to do a full season of TT next year. Before I need to build endurance to ride up Teide for a week-so more base than HIT

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
The balance is how much high intensity at this time of year?

This is the million dollar question. And I guess the answer is you have to listen to your own body as much as anything. I know I’m a worse than average recoverer.
I really like TrainerRoad because I’ve realised that the sessions are cleverly levelled so you can go day after day without needing a rest day so soon. I couldn’t judge that for myself I don’t think.

it’s definitely grown on me

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I really like TrainerRoad because I’ve realised that the sessions are cleverly levelled so you can go day after day without needing a rest day so soon
That is one of the biggest draws to Trainer Road for me. Its a well established knowledgeable platform knowing how far to push their users, with recovery weeks every third week.

JuhaL

Guru
It’s a light lube juhal. It’s meant for riding in the dry. It’s normally the wet lubes that get the most gunky. I only mention muc off because it’s the one I like to use. But to be honest I’m sure any dry lube is good for the turbo because all you really need to do is keep the chain well lubed rather than protecting it against water. If you get a rag or some kitchen roll and wipe the chain after each session that will stop the sweat from corroding the chain.

I’m interested to see how you get on with the squirt lube. I’ve never used it.
Don't know is it too early to say nothing but first 1hr group ride done with Squirt lube and no issues and it feels smoothly. Can't tell was chain noisier or quieter than after any other lubes. I reapplied after session just in case if it didn't dry enough after first apply.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Anyone fancy a race later? I’m going out for lunch in a bit but I could try and stick to orange juice if there was something happening later. Oh the life we lead...
Signing up for a 23km TT at 4 o'clock if you fancy a spin. I'll be in C cat, but it looks like so are most of A and B riders :laugh: Most C riders seem to be in D cat :banghead: Still, if you ride in B cat you should podium!

Edit : they have messed about with their cats ... C is for 3-5 w/kg, D for 1-3w/kg (I've signed up to D). A and B are women only groups.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I also seem to have the lurgy. It is strange, I often get the same kind of bug in Nov/Dec. Usually takes me out for 2-3 weeks.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Signing up for a 23km TT at 4 o'clock if you fancy a spin. I'll be in C cat, but it looks like so are most of A and B riders :laugh: Most C riders seem to be in D cat :banghead: Still, if you ride in B cat you should podium!

Edit : they have messed about with their cats ... C is for 3-5 w/kg, D for 1-3w/kg (I've signed up to D). A and B are women only groups.

In my Road to Sky race this morning, the A cat were the D riders, and the D cat was the A riders on the results table. Weird! ^_^

Top Bottom