Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Power meter: https://www.primeauvelo.com/en/ridetime-elite-cycling-computer-96638-0024433.html
it need a sensor I think and the power meter doesn't come with sensor

That is not a power meter, just a bike computer, which might SHOW your power numbers, if paired with a power meter. A bike computer is not needed per se for Zwift or other indoor training platform, as they will show you the numbers on the computer screen. The one listed is not even Bluetooth compatible which is a must these days I think.

Power meters are rather expensive, the cheapest being crankarm based like the Stages and 4iii, Cheapest is singlesided (measures left side and then doubles it), then pedal ones (like Assioma Uno/Duo, Garmin Vector etc.) and then cranksetbased.

You budget will not allow a decent Smart trainer and power meter, not in my book anyway.

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
The T2240 happens to be the same trainer as I have. It’s reliable and I’d recommend it. No longer available here in the UK but when it was available it was approx £200. Not sure if that price is good value for your region or not. It’s basically an equivalent to the trainer I posted a link to previously

The second trainer you listed is a “dumb” trainer and not a particularly good one at that. If you get a dumb trainer (and I wouldn’t recommend that) then at least get a fluid model rather than magnetic.

The third link you posted isn’t a power meter, and won’t help you with Zwift at all. I’d honestly suggest just get an entry level smart trainer for now (the first one you linked is perfect) then enjoy :okay:

tdcadillac

That is not a power meter, just a bike computer, which might SHOW your power numbers, if paired with a power meter. A bike computer is not needed per se for Zwift or other indoor training platform, as they will show you the numbers on the computer screen. The one listed is not even Bluetooth compatible which is a must these days I think.

Power meters are rather expensive, the cheapest being crankarm based like the Stages and 4iii, Cheapest is singlesided (measures left side and then doubles it), then pedal ones (like Assioma Uno/Duo, Garmin Vector etc.) and then cranksetbased.

You budget will not allow a decent Smart trainer and power meter, not in my book anyway.
Thanks for clarifying

tdcadillac

The T2240 happens to be the same trainer as I have. It’s reliable and I’d recommend it. No longer available here in the UK but when it was available it was approx £200. Not sure if that price is good value for your region or not. It’s basically an equivalent to the trainer I posted a link to previously

The second trainer you listed is a “dumb” trainer and not a particularly good one at that. If you get a dumb trainer (and I wouldn’t recommend that) then at least get a fluid model rather than magnetic.

The third link you posted isn’t a power meter, and won’t help you with Zwift at all. I’d honestly suggest just get an entry level smart trainer for now (the first one you linked is perfect) then enjoy :okay:
Thanks I will put it on my favourites

tdcadillac

so a smart trainer doesn't necessary have a power meter? I was under the impression that a smart trainer like ( https://tacx.com/product/flow-smart/) measure power too. budget wise I will go for a smart trainer for now

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
so a smart trainer doesn't necessary have a power meter? I was under the impression that a smart trainer like ( https://tacx.com/product/flow-smart/) measure power too. budget wise I will go for a smart trainer for now

No, smart trainers will have a power meter built in. The price of the trainer dictate the accuracy, feel and how steep a gradient it will simulate.

EG. my Tacx Neo2 is accurate to 1% feels very road like and can simulate resistance upto mid 20% incline. It can read power over 2000 Watts It costs best part of a £1k

A cheaper model of smart trainer will be 3-5% accurate slightly less road feel and simulation upto around 15-18%.

Cost £300-500 approximately

A budget will be less resistance for inclines less than 10%

What that means when riding on Zwift, once the gradient goes above 10% the resistance wont feel any different to 10%.

Not a big deal, but as you progress you might want to feel the added resistance of steeper climbs

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Don't know if you're based in the UK or would consider a 2nd hand unit, but most of us on this forum started our indoor riding on Bkool using their smart trainers. Just checked out ebay and there is a trainer for sale there : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BKool-Sm...950480?hash=item217374ba50:g:kRYAAOSwfkNfJWZO

Could be worth looking at a 2nd hand wheel on trainer initially and if turbo riding is for you then it may prompt you to move to a wheel off trainer but, if turbo training is not for you you'd probably be able to re-sell the trainer for the same price :okay:

tdcadillac

A cheaper model of smart trainer will be 3-5% accurate slightly less road feel and simulation upto around 15-18%.
Cost £300-500 approximately
That is not bad at all for a beginner like me. Thank you very much for that example it helps me stay within the budget as I want only monitor power improvement over time.
Just to confirm again :
all smart trainer has cadence, speed and power metrics, the only difference is that the accuracy increase with price. a gentleman earlier mentioned to stay away from the fluid and to buy a magnetic for the dumb trainer. is that only for the dumb trainer or for the smart trainer as well?

tdcadillac

Don't know if you're based in the UK or would consider a 2nd hand unit, but most of us on this forum started our indoor riding on Bkool using their smart trainers. Just checked out ebay and there is a trainer for sale there : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BKool-Sm...950480?hash=item217374ba50:g:kRYAAOSwfkNfJWZO

Could be worth looking at a 2nd hand wheel on trainer initially and if turbo riding is for you then it may prompt you to move to a wheel off trainer but, if turbo training is not for you you'd probably be able to re-sell the trainer for the same price :okay:
I am in Canada. I will check Kijij for second hand smart trainer Thanks Whorty

Brusgaard

Über Guru
That is not bad at all for a beginner like me. Thank you very much for that example it helps me stay within the budget as I want only monitor power improvement over time.
Just to confirm again :
all smart trainer has cadence, speed and power metrics, the only difference is that the accuracy increase with price. a gentleman earlier mentioned to stay away from the fluid and to buy a magnetic for the dumb trainer. is that only for the dumb trainer or for the smart trainer as well?

It is not that simple. Not all trainers have a power meter. Bkool wheel-on has not (and I suspect most other wheel-on) but does some calculations based on roller speed and stuff and then outputs a watt-number to the computer, which may be more or less correct, depending on the alogithm. A real Power meter (in a trainer, pedals, crankarm, crankset) requires some sort of physical measuring device like a string gauge, an optical sensor etc. The same goes for cadence.
Speed is always calculated and will most likely be different on the computer and what is shown on the bike computer. Simulators like BKOOL, Zwift etc. calculates your speed using your poweroutput but also takes into account if you are drafting or not, road inclination, your weight, height etc. So you will probably never see the same speed and hence distance traveled. Speed outdoors is calculated from wheel-size (circumference) and number of rotations (requires speed/cadence sensor of course) or using the GPS in the bike computer.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
It is not that simple. Not all trainers have a power meter. Bkool wheel-on has not (and I suspect most other wheel-on) but does some calculations based on roller speed and stuff and then outputs a watt-number to the computer, which may be more or less correct, depending on the alogithm. A real Power meter (in a trainer, pedals, crankarm, crankset) requires some sort of physical measuring device like a string gauge, an optical sensor etc. The same goes for cadence.
Speed is always calculated and will most likely be different on the computer and what is shown on the bike computer. Simulators like BKOOL, Zwift etc. calculates your speed using your poweroutput but also takes into account if you are drafting or not, road inclination, your weight, height etc. So you will probably never see the same speed and hence distance traveled. Speed outdoors is calculated from wheel-size (circumference) and number of rotations (requires speed/cadence sensor of course) or using the GPS in the bike computer.
Assuming the OP wants to use a software platform like Zwift I think for the budget that is being discussed the best that can be done is a good second hand wheel on smart trainer. That way he will get the gradient simulation and a ‘power number’ to work to and improve upon. The accuracy of that power number relative to reality may not be important if the aim is to build and improve. If entering races then accuracy may be more important (for the Other competitors moreso the Rider himself 😊)

On the topic of Bkool trainer - my Bkool was +20/+30% above reality. In fact on Zwift races it became even more inaccurate. I loaned it to a friend of a friend with the health warning and he found the same issue and had to plead with Zwiftpower to delete results that were putting him in Cat B 😄

Top Bottom