Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Have we decided what the segment / route is for our final stage 7? I may struggle (again) to join a 7pm Thursday event so will look to get a time set beforehand if possible.
You doing the stage early could make it interesting. I'm 3 mins behind you at the moment. Depending what time you do stage 7 in will dictate whether I do a pootle ride or push on and see if I can claw that 3 mins back. In my head I'm expecting a pootle, but if you're over 3 mins behind my recent PB up the Alpe I could be tempted to race :biggrin: I'm hoping you push hard and set me a time I can't beat so I can have an easy night :okay:

@mjd1988 are you riding live on Thursday?

peterob

Veteran
@peterob stage 4 was 1 lap of the Road to Ruins course in Watopia, done as a group meet-up race (not a TT). We used this segment for our times - https://www.strava.com/segments/16404154?filter=club&gender=all&club_id=126532
Cheers @bridgy :okay:. I'll see if I can fit that in.

Just done stage 7. Did the 3 laps in 44:41 which means I think you beat me by a whole 3 seconds! :angry: Wish I'd given it a bit more in the final lap now, but I suppose being in the 'race' may have helped eeked out a few more seconds too.

My lap times were:
15:02
14:50
14:49
Negative split!

Cracking time from you on stage 2 by the way :bravo:

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
you live in a dream world :eek: 9 mins !!! if i could claw back anything - and its a big if , it would only be seconds ! - unless your planning a snapped chain or something - one sporting gesture deserves another :whistle::okay:
Yeah but my point is that whole 9 minutes is just your penalty for not having done stage 2 yet. If you can get a decent time on Wednesday in the H&H race it's game on!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Have we decided what the segment / route is for our final stage 7? I may struggle (again) to join a 7pm Thursday event so will look to get a time set beforehand if possible.
It will be Road to Sky route up the Alpe and then back down. I am doing a recce of the course as we speak just to make sure the segment I have in mind works OK and so I get the distance right for the meet up. I will post a link to the segment we will use for timing later

mjd1988

Guru
You doing the stage early could make it interesting. I'm 3 mins behind you at the moment. Depending what time you do stage 7 in will dictate whether I do a pootle ride or push on and see if I can claw that 3 mins back. In my head I'm expecting a pootle, but if you're over 3 mins behind my recent PB up the Alpe I could be tempted to race :biggrin: I'm hoping you push hard and set me a time I can't beat so I can have an easy night :okay:

@mjd1988 are you riding live on Thursday?

No I'm in Morocco till Saturday, have fun! Ill be thinking of you guys doing the alpe while I eat and drink lamb and wine until I fall asleep :cheers:

JLaw

Veteran
There were a number of league rides over the weekend so I've updated the table with the results. Please let me know if there are any others I may have missed.

@JLaw & @Alongo - I've added you to the league :welcome:

New Andy - I guessed that you're a Cat B rider on Zwift (and a good one at that if you were so close to Bridgy last week ^_^). If you can join Team Cyclechat within ZwiftPower it'll be easy for us to collate the results (and add Cyclechat to your name in Zwift if you haven't already done so, so that we can spot you in races).
Thanks. And I'll claw back a few seconds when you add my stage2 effort (gotham grind). 1:07:01 handicapped, 1:00:01 actual race time (according to ZP). 213W, so a new post-surgery FTP, up from 211W :-)

Not sure which I'll do next, it may depend on if any of the stages are being run by other groups for races or group rides. Or maybe get my Alpe ride in since I already know I'll miss it.

bridgy

Legendary Member
@Norry1 if you (or anyone else) wants to do the Thursday meet up race on a different day or time, you need to select the Road to Sky route in Watopia, and ride up the alpe round the flat bit at the top, and carry on back down. The segment we'll use for timings is this one https://www.strava.com/segments/17254696?filter=club&gender=all&club_id=126532 which is called "d'huez up and down from spawn" ( it might be in hidden segments for you). If you ride for a minimum of 34km from the start point when you go to Road to Sky you will definitely have completed the full segment.

I just did it at 3 w/kg and it took me 1 hour 24 for the segment, so allow around an hour and a half for the ride.

Norry1

Legendary Member
@Norry1 if you (or anyone else) wants to do the Thursday meet up race on a different day or time, you need to select the Road to Sky route in Watopia, and ride up the alpe round the flat bit at the top, and carry on back down. The segment we'll use for timings is this one https://www.strava.com/segments/17254696?filter=club&gender=all&club_id=126532 which is called "d'huez up and down from spawn" ( it might be in hidden segments for you). If you ride for a minimum of 34km from the start point when you go to Road to Sky you will definitely have completed the full segment.

I just did it at 3 w/kg and it took me 1 hour 24 for the segment, so allow around an hour and a half for the ride.

Thanks. And a quick tip - if people click on the segment link above, it takes you into the segment in strava. There is a star to the left of the title. Click on the star and it puts the segment into your Strava results rather than it being hiidden.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Paul - can't work out from the Strava map, but it looks like the segment starts from inside the jungle gate and not the start/finish line. Is this your take too? This means if the Meetup starts where we normally do, we will have 10 mins or so of riding before we get to the segment start. I'm assuming we just go from the off at our own pace although this will mean we are unlikely to be anywhere near each other once we start the 'race' proper. I for one won't be pushing hard until I get inside the gate :smile:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Paul - can't work out from the Strava map, but it looks like the segment starts from inside the jungle gate and not the start/finish line. Is this your take too? This means if the Meetup starts where we normally do, we will have 10 mins or so of riding before we get to the segment start. I'm assuming we just go from the off at our own pace although this will mean we are unlikely to be anywhere near each other once we start the 'race' proper. I for one won't be pushing hard until I get inside the gate :smile:
Carl, it is indeed about 10 minutes from where you spawn on the "Road to Sky" route until you get the the actual Alpe, BUT this is all part of the segment we're using which itself starts at the Road to Sky spawn location. So it's full gas from the very start, ride for 34km. See my ride here (which is exactly what we'll do on Thursday), and compare with the segment I said we're using - the ride and segment start at the same place, no lead in https://www.strava.com/activities/2240336274

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm after some new road shoes but don't really know where to start. Any recommendations? N.B. I have a reasonably wide foot so want to avoid anything that comes up really narrow....

Thanks - any suggestions appreciated

peterob

Veteran
I'm after some new road shoes but don't really know where to start. Any recommendations? N.B. I have a reasonably wide foot so want to avoid anything that comes up really narrow....

Thanks - any suggestions appreciated
I have stupidly wide feet and found that my Bontrager Road Race shoes were the most comfortable. They were one of the cheapest too, which was nice.

I suppose it depends on your budget too, whether you want carbon, clasp type preference etc. But you should go to a good bike shop and try lots of pairs rather than taking a punt from the net. Carbon may be lighter and stiffer, but the added flex of cheaper composite soles may actually be more comfortable for you.

Top Bottom