Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Nice meetup with @Whorty and @bridgy . Segment time of 1:06:20

Good workout and got my second best time up the Volcano KOM.
Thanks for the ride chaps. Hadn't you both joined I'd have taken it a lot easier :sweat: 1:07:16 on the Meetup-segment @peterob

Tried my hardest to take my turn at the front @Norry1 , @bridgy but I was on my limit and struggling to get in front of you both :B) Worked my nuts off on the volcano but couldn't stick with you Martin, sorry. Legs just not there at the moment and chest still flubbered (snot has changed colour from canary yellow to mud brown xx(). Was desperate to do my share of pulling over the last 5km with Paul but however hard I tried just couldn't get in front :banghead:

Shame you had problems @mjd1988 would have been good to have a chain of 4 :okay:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thanks for the ride chaps. Hadn't you both joined I'd have taken it a lot easier :sweat: 1:07:16 on the Meetup-segment @peterob

Tried my hardest to take my turn at the front @Norry1 , @bridgy but I was on my limit and struggling to get in front of you both :B) Worked my nuts off on the volcano but couldn't stick with you Martin, sorry. Legs just not there at the moment and chest still flubbered (snot has changed colour from canary yellow to mud brown xx(). Was desperate to do my share of pulling over the last 5km with Paul but however hard I tried just couldn't get in front :banghead:

Shame you had problems @mjd1988 would have been good to have a chain of 4 :okay:
Don't worry Carl - I was trying to give you a a tow in those last few miles so didn't expect you to take a turn!

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member

You both said you were a) not 100% or b) saving it for Sunday, so I didn't expect too much :smile:

I was thinking about our technique - as we were pretty ragged even when we were chainganging. It is difficult as we can't communicate as you would IRL.

Flicking the elbow is okay, but it is easy to miss if you are watching the power screen to see when the leader drops his Watts. So my solution is

1) agree the length of turn we will do (say 40 seconds).
2) Ring the bicycle bell 2 seconds before the end of your stint
3) Drop watts very low for a few seconds so the second guy doesn't get stuck in your sticky draft, and get to the back of the gang
4) Repeat.....

Whorty

You both said you were a) not 100% or b) saving it for Sunday, so I didn't expect too much :smile:

I was thinking about our technique - as we were pretty ragged even when we were chainganging. It is difficult as we can't communicate as you would IRL.

Flicking the elbow is okay, but it is easy to miss if you are watching the power screen to see when the leader drops his Watts. So my solution is

1) agree the length of turn we will do (say 40 seconds).
2) Ring the bicycle bell 2 seconds before the end of your stint
3) Drop watts very low for a few seconds so the second guy doesn't get stuck in your sticky draft, and get to the back of the gang
4) Repeat.....
Step 3 is the real key I think when someone like me is in the group who isn't as strong as the others. I was struggling to break that sticky draft to get ahead to do my pull. By the time I was in the front I'dd been pushing for a minute sometimes. I think the best way is the lead drops their power slightly and the second wheel should drift ahead.

Saying that though I thought we were OK. When I was in front I tried to stay there as long as possible - I like to get into a rhythm at an even pace/power, not great at the bursts and relax, so long as I could stay at that pace I was in my comfort zone. The early sections with bursts was definitely putting me on my limit, so I was surprised I managed to last as long as I did.

I did set some PBs though. Even the volcano, which was 25km or so in, I set a PB on the 1st half and I managed 3rd fastest time for me for the full climb.

I need to start a bit more structured again to try and build up my power and stamina.

Whorty

I'm doing the 4:15 3R Classic Reverse flat race if anyone fancies joining me. 29km, so could be fast and furious.

peterob

Veteran
There's been some more attempts at stage 1 of the league so I've updated the table.

I've even added myself to give me some incentive to do it! If I don't I'll remain firmly planted at the bottom.

Looks like it'll be continually pissing down the next few days so I think I'll try and get on and complete it tonight :smile:. If anyone fancies it I'll be on there about 5:30 if all goes to plan.
JuneLeague.png

Del C

Veteran
Any requests for Thursday's stage 2?
New York is the scheduled course.

How about Everything Bagel?

https://zwiftinsider.com/everything-bagel/

Del C

Veteran
Question for @peterob

I rode the Vatternrundan ride on Zwift today at 15.30. I noticed you were riding the same ride at 17.30.

You’ll know its on the same course as last Thursday’s Cyclechat race, the Out and Back course, except you do it twice! I’m guessing that’s why you’re riding it today?

Anyhow, my question is that I had a faster time today on the segment we used, so I’m assuming that I can register this for the Cyclechat league?

New time is 1.05.17 and you can check the segment here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2441943517/segments/61553910438

Admittedly, I may have been helped this time by the 445 other riders on the course, but I did come 86th, completed the course twice, drank two bottles of sports drink and ate a Clif bar............ so I did work hard!! ^_^

peterob

Veteran
Question for @peterob

I rode the Vatternrundan ride on Zwift today at 15.30. I noticed you were riding the same ride at 17.30.

You’ll know its on the same course as last Thursday’s Cyclechat race, the Out and Back course, except you do it twice! I’m guessing that’s why you’re riding it today?

Anyhow, my question is that I had a faster time today on the segment we used, so I’m assuming that I can register this for the Cyclechat league?

New time is 1.05.17 and you can check the segment here:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2441943517/segments/61553910438

Admittedly, I may have been helped this time by the 445 other riders on the course, but I did come 86th, completed the course twice, drank two bottles of sports drink and ate a Clif bar............ so I did work hard!! ^_^
Hi Del. You're right - I did choose that event because it was on the course for our stage and at a time I was looking to ride. I thought it'd be more interesting than just riding the course solo ^_^. I didn't realise it was such a big ride (over 300 riders in mine) so I did end up riding a large proportion of it in a largish group.

Consequently I (we) did get a significant advantage. I realised this during the ride so did a fair bit of pulling at the front to try and negate that but the table below showing our Strava times indicates I still got a large advantage. If you compare mine and Bridgy's stats (we're a similar weight) you'll see that although I averaged only 5W more, my time was almost 5 mins quicker! :ohmy:

Not sure what to do in this situation with this wrt the league. What are people's thoughts?
a) Take the time as it is - you win some you lose some
b) Take the time of a comparable ride (eg I'd take Bridgy's time as we're a similar weight and we produced similar watts)
c) If you do a group event, the time used should be 110% of your finishing time (or something similar)
d) Any other ideas?

OutAndBack.png

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Hi Del. You're right - I did choose that event because it was on the course for our stage and at a time I was looking to ride. I thought it'd be more interesting than just riding the course solo ^_^. I didn't realise it was such a big ride (over 300 riders in mine) so I did end up riding a large proportion of it in a largish group.

Consequently I (we) did get a significant advantage. I realised this during the ride so did a fair bit of pulling at the front to try and negate that but the table below showing our Strava times indicates I still got a large advantage. If you compare mine and Bridgy's stats (we're a similar weight) you'll see that although I averaged only 5W more, my time was almost 5 mins quicker! :ohmy:

Not sure what to do in this situation with this wrt the league. What are people's thoughts?
a) Take the time as it is - you win some you lose some
b) Take the time of a comparable ride (eg I'd take Bridgy's time as we're a similar weight and we produced similar watts)
c) If you do a group event, the time used should be 110% of your finishing time (or something similar)
d) Any other ideas?

View attachment 470378

My opinion with this in mind is that only results from organised meet ups should count towards the league.

Top Bottom