Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Didn’t know you guys , @bridgy , @berty bassett were in this race, just rode it to see how my time compared with Thursdays ride. Rode today with full “ b” group, everyone stayed together till first KOM, didn’t want to kill myself so rode with 2 others after half group went away. Tuesdays ride had a drifting draft effect, first half , not much help really, second half @bridgy and @bobinski caught up to me and we rode together, about 3 mins faster today , 59:45 . Does this count towards the league or not.
Have you done ride with the league where we join in with full Zwift races before, I think it would bring a bit of variety to the racing as quite often we all end up slogging away in ones or twos. I think the league appeals to my masochistic side but the Zwift races have a fun factor too. What are your thoughts .

Didnt know you guys, @bridgy , @berty bassett were in this race, just rode it to see how my time compared with Thursdays ride.
Rode today with full “B” group, everyone stayed together till first KOM, didn’t want to kill myself so rode wth 2 others as half the group went away on climb and rest split.
Tuesdays ride had a different drafting effect , first half, not much help, second half @bridgy and @bobinski caught up with me and we rode together for a bit and with @bridgy to the end.
About 3 mins faster today, quite close in hr and watts for effort in 59:45. Does this count towards the league or not.
Have you done races with the CC league where you join in with full Zwift races, I think it would bring a bit of variety to the racing as quite often it seems we all end up slogging away in ones or twos. I think the CC league races appeal to my masochistic side but doing a few Zwift races with the league would have a bit more fun factor too.
What are your thoughts .
We don't count full on Zwift events towards the league no. Its because you tend to get a much better draft effect from a mass participation event so it would be a bit unfair and wouldn't encourage you to ride in the Tuesday /Thursday meetup which is the idea (and more fun if more do it). Obviously nothing to stop you doing the stage solo if you can't make Tuesday or Thursday - and if you can invite other cyclechat riders then great. That's what Tommy did today - I was free so joined in.

We have used organised races for the league before - specifically things like the Tour of Watopia. These kind of of events were ideal because there were multiple chances to do the stages. I agree it's good to do proper Zwift events for the league - hare and hound type events are good for this too. The only problem is that most races are not run at multiple times that would suit everyone, so unless you can make the specific race you're at a huge disadvantage. If I can find races that are being repeated at convenient times I'm happy to include them as league stages though - let me know if you spot anything

Alongo

Guru
I get that you were in an invited ride on this course but if it coincides exactly with a Zwift race on the same course an unfair advantage has been gained. Quoting your time for @peterob seems fair enough for the group ride but there were 60 plus other riders racing the course , so , does my time count or not ?
I dont follow Tommy and am quite new to group, would have joined you guys if I had known.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I get that you were in an invited ride on this course but if it coincides exactly with a Zwift race on the same course an unfair advantage has been gained. Quoting your time for @peterob seems fair enough for the group ride but there were 60 plus other riders racing the course , so , does my time count or not ?
I dont follow Tommy and am quite new to group, would have joined you guys if I had known.

Alongo are you andy long? If so I did send you an invite bud.

We didn’t get any draft benefit from the organised race because we didn’t cross paths. I thought race participants were invisible to everyone else but I may have that wrong.

Having said that I do agree with you to a degree. The only completely fair way to run the league would be to have a set time each week and only one running if a race. So everyone has the same race environment. The trouble with that though, and one of the selling points of the league. Is that if for some reason you can’t make the Tuesday: Thursday races you can catch up another time. No doubt that this skews the league though.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i can honestly say i didnt know there was a race going on ! there was a bloke who joined our trio but didnt contribute and at no time can i remember drafting anyone other than T & B - but i did draft them a fair bit :whistle::blush:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Sorry that you didn't get the invite from Tommy for some reason - I can appreciate your frustration. We definitely didn't get any drafting benefit from the Zwift race you mention (which I don't know anything about) - I presume as it was a proper race it was run "privately" with only participating riders on the course. Either way, we didn't coincide with any of it at all

<Tommy>

I think this highlights how much better it would be if we could organise private races. I know it’s a well trodden conversation so I won’t bleat on but I hope one day zwift sort it out.

Alongo

Guru
Alongo are you andy long? If so I did send you an invite bud.

We didn’t get any draft benefit from the organised race because we didn’t cross paths. I thought race participants were invisible to everyone else but I may have that wrong.

Having said that I do agree with you to a degree. The only completely fair way to run the league would be to have a set time each week and only one running if a race. So everyone has the same race environment. The trouble with that though, and one of the selling points of the league. Is that if for some reason you can’t make the Tuesday: Thursday races you can catch up another time. No doubt that this skews the league though.
Yeah, Tommy, I’ll give you a follow on Strava too. Sat afternoons usually a good time for me , especially in winter months 👍
Sorry that you didn't get the invite from Tommy for some reason - I can appreciate your frustration. We definitely didn't get any drafting benefit from the Zwift race you mention (which I don't know anything about) - I presume as it was a proper race it was run "privately" with only participating riders on the course. Either way, we didn't coincide with any of it at all
Hey, I’m not frustrated @bridgy , it’s hardly life and death is it 😁 . It has cleared up how I think/ thought Zwift works now tho , didn’t realise these two events were completely separate.
i can honestly say i didnt know there was a race going on ! there was a bloke who joined our trio but didnt contribute and at no time can i remember drafting anyone other than T & B - but i did draft them a fair bit :whistle::blush:
The power of the draft = the more the quicker, will try and join in when poss in future 🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️😂

bridgy

Legendary Member
[
Yeah, Tommy, I’ll give you a follow on Strava too. Sat afternoons usually a good time for me , especially in winter months 👍

Hey, I’m not frustrated @bridgy , it’s hardly life and death is it 😁 . It has cleared up how I think/ thought Zwift works now tho , didn’t realise these two events were completely separate.

The power of the draft = the more the quicker, will try and join in when poss in future 🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️🚴🏻‍♂️😂
Ah good - sorry for any confusion! Set up a meetup on another Saturday for any stages you miss or want to re-do - I will try and join if I can. Same goes for everyone - if you're lucky people who are similar pace to you will be able to join. But, try and do the meet ups on Tuesday and /or Thursday evening whenever possible - the more the merrier!

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
By the way this forum is awful to use on android phone since the recent updates :cursing:

<Tommy>

👍 It’s a shame you weren’t in the mix today Andy. It seems like there’s a good few of us in and around about the same pace at the moment so hopefully we can all be involved in the same races as it should be really fun. Obviously the more the merrier!

I know what you’re saying bridgy. Generally it would be great if we could all race Tuesday and or Thursday so things aren’t too diluted. But Saturdays suit me at the moment too. Hopefully we can get a good schedule going.

I’ve just had an idea off the top of my head so feel free to shoot me down if it’s cr@p! But in the old days we used to do a chain gang race on a Thursday with a Saturday repeat. And on a Tuesday we did the handicap race. What do people think about tuesdays either doing a handicap race of some sort, either team or individual. Or all join a zwift race. And on Thursday and Saturday we do the chain gang race

berty bassett

Legendary Member
👍 It’s a shame you weren’t in the mix today Andy. It seems like there’s a good few of us in and around about the same pace at the moment so hopefully we can all be involved in the same races as it should be really fun. Obviously the more the merrier!

I know what you’re saying bridgy. Generally it would be great if we could all race Tuesday and or Thursday so things aren’t too diluted. But Saturdays suit me at the moment too. Hopefully we can get a good schedule going.

I’ve just had an idea off the top of my head so feel free to shoot me down if it’s cr@p! But in the old days we used to do a chain gang race on a Thursday with a Saturday repeat. And on a Tuesday we did the handicap race. What do people think about tuesdays either doing a handicap race of some sort, either team or individual. Or all join a zwift race. And on Thursday and Saturday we do the chain gang race
All for it ! But useless at organising so only if others are up for more work sorting thing out !

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am up for a regular early Saturday afternoon ride however it fits into the time table. Otherwise there are regular endurance rides and races I can dip into.

JuhaL

Guru
I checked Herd’s sunday endurance group ride at a tomorrows events. It’s not suppose to be too hard 2hr ride after a night shift.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I do like the Bridgy meetups. There is something lacking though, which is the wheel to wheel racing which comes with bigger numbers of riders.

Invariably I and others will become separated from each other and the leaders, then its a sole effort to the line. The same scenario occurs in bigger events, but there is always someone of similar ability around you (non cycle-chatter). This keeps the competition to the line alive.

The overall results (CCer's) in positions will be roughly the same, time difference could be greater, but there again there could be opportunities to claw back big time with the correctly chosen re-run event.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I agree with a lot of what Andy says. The zwift algorithms favour perhaps disproportionately those in the draft. We are a smallish number of racers and this means the fast guys get away quickly and can draft each other/work together to increase the gap leaving other riders, more variable in power stretched out and riding alone. The more CC’ers that ride the greater the opportunity to have someone to ride with. But it is what it is. Getting dropped and stuck in no mans land has made me work harder and get stronger which , after all, is why we are all doing this. I am not giving up on chasing the fast boys down. In the meantime I think I think we just have to accept that the time differences are a little exaggerated .
A hare and hounds should spice/mix things up a little .

Top Bottom