Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
My coach now has me doing a couple of weights sessions a week. One for core and one for legs. Anyone else weight train for cycling?
I started doing weights a few weeks back when I joined the gym, but to be honest I've slacked a bit recently (I just find it really boring - I much prefer a cardio type workout!). I rarely did leg work with the weights though because doing the cycling and now running I found my poor legs were already in pieces and it felt like it would only make them sorer! Cycling fitness aside, I think its a good idea to do some weights for general health/fitness reasons - I wish I could find a way of enjoying it a bit more

bobinski

Legendary Member
Martin, I think we are the same age? When does your coach structure your recovery time? Is it fixed or dynamic depending on how you feel? Mine is linked to an inflexible SF plan for time being but l am looking to use one of their coach led plans from the new year.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My coach now has me doing a couple of weights sessions a week. One for core and one for legs. Anyone else weight train for cycling?

Yes I do compound weight sessions. Squats, dips, bench press. Ive neglected doing it this year so far. It really hurts (DOMS) but after a month or so strength develops.

Stats indicate fatigue resistance after longer period of riding, peak power numbers for micro sprints improve significantly.

Beware-always warm up thoroughly and learn perfect technique before ramping up weight of lifts.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I started doing weights a few weeks back when I joined the gym, but to be honest I've slacked a bit recently (I just find it really boring - I much prefer a cardio type workout!). I rarely did leg work with the weights though because doing the cycling and now running I found my poor legs were already in pieces and it felt like it would only make them sorer! Cycling fitness aside, I think its a good idea to do some weights for general health/fitness reasons - I wish I could find a way of enjoying it a bit more

Have you tried yoga?

JuhaL

Guru
Don't be ridiculous :stop:
:biggrin:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Martin, I think we are the same age? When does your coach structure your recovery time? Is it fixed or dynamic depending on how you feel? Mine is linked to an inflexible SF plan for time being but l am looking to use one of their coach led plans from the new year.

I think we are a similar age. I'm 59 in January.

The 2 sessions are both on days I cycle train as well. Mondays are complete rest - core is Wednesday (also a moderate ride) and legs are on Sundays after usually a Z1 or Z2 ride.

As I've only been going 6 weeks, I'm not sure how recovery will change. For the first 4 weeks my TSS was less than I had been doing although the hard sessions were REALLY hard. TSS is building now as he adds volume.

bobinski

Legendary Member
It’s part of my SF plan and honoured in the breach to be honest...I lack the patience and the flexibility to do more than the leg and hip poses.
SF have a number of yoga modules. I used the beginner when trying to stretch leg and knee out post op in jan and feb. I reckon it helped. Then I did again at beginning of current training plan. As of last month I can stretch leg out fully and so have moved onto weighted squats ( which I couldn’t do before) and that may be down to the yoga. Or the rowing. Or both. Who knows :rolleyes:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I know a few folk use Pilates
Aarrr that’ll be me
1574086242830.jpeg

Top Bottom