Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Del C

Veteran
Great choice @Del C doing the right thing mate which is quite unlike us blokes.
Ain't it so!

I think my decision to ride was the quite like us blokes bit. I feel fine, really pushed it the day before and just wanted to carry on.

The unlike us blokes bit kicked in when I started to think what if he's right? Or at least I ought to ease back until I'm properly checked out.

Del C

Veteran
Thanks for the words of support guys.

Appreciated and means a lot.

Hope to be back properly next year and riding up Ventoux again!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Managed 1:02:41 , great little tussle with @Milzy , too and froed over last half of race and finished on line together. Well done Lee, you were flying, good ride Del, Michael, Carl. Did the lurgy catch up with you Bridgy, don’t think you were on your best form today .
Yeah - wasn't feeling too great! I got a good start and was just about OK hanging onto the very front group on the flat start, but I had no stamina, and I knew as soon as I hit Box Hill that it was definitely not going to be a good ride as I had absolutely nothing to give! I nearly gave up after the first lap but decided to just back off and go at a sustainable pace - sometimes it's psychologically difficult to go slower than you know you usually can, when in reality, it's still good exercise, so that's what I told myself! Actually pretty happy overall considering how I've been feeling the last few days.

1:04:46 for me please @peterob

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
1.08.34 for me @peterob

I had some slightly bad news today, which means I'll either drop out of the league for a couple of months, or stay in but just ride at an easier tempo.

I had a coronary stent fitted in early 2011. I had no symptoms at all but after an annual work health check I had what turned out to be a letterbox narrowing in one artery. This is where you get some plaque on either side of the artery, as opposed to a complete narrowing, and this was probably why I had no symptoms. I agreed to have a stent fitted as a precaution, due to the amount of cycling I did and the fact that most summers I went riding in high mountains. The cardiologists involved said they wouldn't have fitted a stent if I'd been more sedentary. They'd have just monitored me.

Since the stent was fitted, I've been fine and after early retirement in 2014, I've had more time to ride and feel fitter than I did when I was in full time work.

So, today I had my annual check up. Blood pressure normal, in fact as good as someone much younger. However, I have a very slow pulse. I always have. In my 20s when I was playing a good level at Squash, my resting heart rate was around 30. Today, an initial measurement was 38, so the cardiologist decided to do an ECG. After that, and with the nurse asking me if I felt ok (I felt absolutely normal) the ECG produced a resting heart rate of 35.

The cardiologist decided to send me for an urgent Cat Scan. He wants to check whether my stent is failing and causing a slower heart rate, or whether its ok and my low heart rate is 'just me'.

This is a tough situation for me and its given my wife some concern. I have no negative symptoms at all, but I can hardly ignore my cardiologist, who has asked me to stop my 'aggressive cycling' until he has the results of the Cat Scan.

I decided to ride tonight's stage as I'd already signed up. I didn't really want to pull out, especially as I feel fine. But I've got be honest that I held back a bit at times tonight as today's consultation was playing on my mind, although when I got on to Box Hill the competitive side took over, especially when I saw that @Whorty and I were in the same group.

I don't plan to stop riding. The Cardiologist hopes the Cat Scan will be early in the New Year, so I think until then I'll probably cut back to riding in group rides, or just ride the Cyclechat league at an easier pace as long as that's acceptable to you guys. I may also ride a bit more outdoors at an easier pace.

Sorry for the long post, but I suppose it helps a bit to share and after my continued improvement over recent months, I don't want people to think I've just bailed out and don't care anymore.
@Del C

Sorry to hear of your trevails. Try finding an alternative exercise regime that is slightly less stressful but still provides the necessary work to maintain your fitness or at least minimises the loss you will experience.

I joined a 'Leisure Centre' :ohmy:, not much is leisurely about exercise to the point where the t-shirt you are wearing is soaking wet :sweat::rain:. I do seem to be getting back my fitness though, my RHR is back to about the mid 40's. I think I could get it lower but the restriction of the blood flow to my right leg limits the level of work I can do. Looking forward, with some trepidation, to my follow up consultation on the 20th of Jan.

All the best with your health and hope to see you back asap :thumbsup:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
FIVE! going soft @<Tommy> :ohmy:
5/10 @Del C - great effort mate, that's got to be one of the highest excuse scores from Tommy ever! Hope all goes well mate and you're able to get back riding properly again soon

It does seem a bit generous doesn’t it.

To be honest I was watching ‘A Christmas carol’ a few days ago. And it occurred to me that given their age and constant bleating about health issues. Some of this lot could be haunting me in the very near future. So I’d better try and be a bit nicer !

How am I doing so far? 😄

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
1.08.34 for me @peterob

I had some slightly bad news today, which means I'll either drop out of the league for a couple of months, or stay in but just ride at an easier tempo.

I had a coronary stent fitted in early 2011. I had no symptoms at all but after an annual work health check I had what turned out to be a letterbox narrowing in one artery. This is where you get some plaque on either side of the artery, as opposed to a complete narrowing, and this was probably why I had no symptoms. I agreed to have a stent fitted as a precaution, due to the amount of cycling I did and the fact that most summers I went riding in high mountains. The cardiologists involved said they wouldn't have fitted a stent if I'd been more sedentary. They'd have just monitored me.

Since the stent was fitted, I've been fine and after early retirement in 2014, I've had more time to ride and feel fitter than I did when I was in full time work.

So, today I had my annual check up. Blood pressure normal, in fact as good as someone much younger. However, I have a very slow pulse. I always have. In my 20s when I was playing a good level at Squash, my resting heart rate was around 30. Today, an initial measurement was 38, so the cardiologist decided to do an ECG. After that, and with the nurse asking me if I felt ok (I felt absolutely normal) the ECG produced a resting heart rate of 35.

The cardiologist decided to send me for an urgent Cat Scan. He wants to check whether my stent is failing and causing a slower heart rate, or whether its ok and my low heart rate is 'just me'.

This is a tough situation for me and its given my wife some concern. I have no negative symptoms at all, but I can hardly ignore my cardiologist, who has asked me to stop my 'aggressive cycling' until he has the results of the Cat Scan.

I decided to ride tonight's stage as I'd already signed up. I didn't really want to pull out, especially as I feel fine. But I've got be honest that I held back a bit at times tonight as today's consultation was playing on my mind, although when I got on to Box Hill the competitive side took over, especially when I saw that @Whorty and I were in the same group.

I don't plan to stop riding. The Cardiologist hopes the Cat Scan will be early in the New Year, so I think until then I'll probably cut back to riding in group rides, or just ride the Cyclechat league at an easier pace as long as that's acceptable to you guys. I may also ride a bit more outdoors at an easier pace.

Sorry for the long post, but I suppose it helps a bit to share and after my continued improvement over recent months, I don't want people to think I've just bailed out and don't care anymore.
Damn and blast :angry: There was me being all gung-ho taking the scalp of a B cat only to find he's having a cardiac! Ah, feck it, the history books will show I had a faster time :whistle: :wahhey:

In all seriousness Del, stay safe and sensible. No point pushing it just to beat us lot ... there will be plenty of time to do that in a few months time once you get the all clear :okay: If ever you fancy a gentle spin, just let us know - I'm always up for keeping you company :hugs:

Whorty

@Del C

Sorry to hear of your trevails. Try finding an alternative exercise regime that is slightly less stressful but still provides the necessary work to maintain your fitness or at least minimises the loss you will experience.

I joined a 'Leisure Centre' :ohmy:, not much is leisurely about exercise to the point where the t-shirt you are wearing is soaking wet :sweat::rain:. I do seem to be getting back my fitness though, my RHR is back to about the mid 40's. I think I could get it lower but the restriction of the blood flow to my right leg limits the level of work I can do. Looking forward, with some trepidation, to my follow up consultation on the 20th of Jan.

All the best with your health and hope to see you back asap :thumbsup:
Beckenham Spa? I was a member there when lived in the area - for a council run centre it's pretty good.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Beckenham Spa? I was a member there when lived in the area - for a council run centre it's pretty good.
New Addington Leisure Centre. They added a Gym to the pool many years ago. Just started using it in the last 4 months.

They are currently building a new one. New Addington Leisure Centre

The old one is at least 50 years old, iirc, as I used to go swimming with my junior school there :ohmy:, 👨‍🦳. The new one is due to open in January apparently.

Edit to add

Google Street view is a little outdated, this is the old centre
Google Streetview

Last edited:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
59:15 @peterob on ToL stage 2
22nd place on ZP
Boy I found that tough. Dunno what was going on with the speed/sticky draft tonight. At one point I was in leading the peloton so I eased up to drift back. The next thing I knew I was going backwards through the pack like I’d hit the reverse gear. Had to sprint like fook just to get back on the pack. At least the distance count down was working :smile:

bridgy

Legendary Member
22nd place on ZP
Boy I found that tough. Dunno what was going on with the speed/sticky draft tonight. At one point I was in leading the peloton so I eased up to drift back. The next thing I knew I was going backwards through the pack like I’d hit the reverse gear. Had to sprint like fook just to get back on the pack. At least the distance count down was working :smile:
I know what you mean. I think the use of Double draft (which apparently is just normal real world draft effect instead of 50% effect) in most races for a while now has improved that, but they're not using double draft in TOL.

Drafting generally is something that Bkool did/do SO much better than Zwift because having the feedback from the resistance change when in the draft was much more realistic and intuitive

Whorty

22nd place on ZP
Different group, and different speeds, but I saw the same last night. Easing up slightly to go back into the pack and suddenly your flying through the group and shooting out the back!

Top Bottom