Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I think we all registered for the Gran Fondo, which is the 'race' as it qualifies you for the UCI race in Canada. I'm in pen for 50-54 age group, so we may all start in different pens. This is on Sunday 7th June.

Over the past 5 years at the Tour of Cambridgeshire, we’ve had separate Race and Gran Fondo events, which would collectively make up the qualifier event. But in 2020, we’re going back to what a truly authentic Gran Fondo really is, with a mass start. Each Masters age group will have its own mass start and start time. So the only way to qualify for the Worlds in 2020 is to ride in the ToC Gran Fondo.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I think we all registered for the Gran Fondo, which is the 'race' as it qualifies you for the UCI race in Canada. I'm in pen for 50-54 age group, so we may all start in different pens. This is on Sunday 7th June.

I am a bit confused now. Does that mean each Age Group in the race and Gran Fondo will start together? Or will the Race be done by Age Group and the GF as a mass start?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I am a bit confused now. Does that mean each Age Group in the race and Gran Fondo will start together? Or will the Race be done by Age Group and the GF as a mass start?

I think they’re run separately. Both split by age category. But the race requires a race licence and the grand fondo doesn’t. Both events allow to qualify for the grand fondo championships in Canada if you finish in the required % of your aga group. As opposed to the 100 mile sportive which also runs on the day but doesn’t qualify you.

bobinski

Legendary Member
You’re the first to know about our BIG NEWS…. Following feedback after an amazing qualifier we had at ToC 2019, we’re re-introducing the Road Race in 2020.
We felt that in 2019, the Race was the safest and most enjoyable we’ve had so why would we not replicate this for next year.

How will the Road Race be set up?
The Road Race will work very similar to previous years with each individual Masters age group having their own Race, start time and officiating team.

What is the qualification distance?
The qualification distance for this year is:
19-59 Men = 100 miles
60+ Men = 70 miles
Women = 70 miles
As soon as we've made the residents and businesses aware of the extensive closures we'll be putting in place, we'll show you our exciting routes for 2020.

How many places will be available in each age group?
The maximum number of places in each age group will be 150.

What are the Masters age groups?
19-34
35-39
40-44
45-49
50-54
55-59
60-64
65+
A new age group can be created, such as 65-69, 70-74 and even 75+ should there be 6 riders enter of that age group. This will be announced in due course.

Do you need a Race License to take part in the Road Race?
You must hold a Full Race License issued by your national governing body. Provisional licenses or memberships will not be accepted and you’ll be required to ride within the Gran Fondo should you not be able to produce your license.

How many riders will qualify in each age group?
Qualification is determined by the number of riders who cross the start line in your age group. The fastest 20% of riders, which is ordered in chip time, from the Road Race and Gran Fondo collectively will be formally invited by the UCI to compete at the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships in 2020.
All riders who qualify for the World's will receive a UCI medal.

Will there be a podium ceremony?
There certainly will. Part of the thrill being in the Road Race is that you're racing for the podium places and the UCI rainbow jersey. Podium places are determined by the first three riders over the line in each age group.

SO, WHAT'S NEXT?

With all of the above in mind and because you’ve already entered into the Gran Fondo, we wanted you to have the first opportunity to grab one of the 150 places in your age group in the ToC Road Race. All you need to do is email us at enquiries@tourofcambridgeshire.com by 12pm on Monday 7th October and we’ll do the rest for you.

Don't forget, places are limited in each age group and entries will open to all other riders soon so get in touch soon.

dark-forwardtofriend-48.png

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Hmmmm .... less confused now! ...... their official website has the below. Both the road Race and GF qualify for the UCI Worlds, but only the Race requires a licence. The Race seems to be shorter (100/70 miles) but the GF is 100 miles. Both appear to be pen segregated by age. The Race starts from 9 by the looks of it. The GF starts from 10.

Linky to the picture below and Website

I'm def signed up for the GF (couldn't sign up for the race if I wanted to as don't have a licence).
Your event registration confirmation
Dear Carl,

Congratulations! You have been registered for: The Tour of Cambridgeshire - ToC UCI Gran Fondo (06-07/06/2020).

Last edited:

mjd1988

Guru
I might do the TOC next year- my wife got me an entry into ride london this year so I don't think I can get away twice (not entirely sure logistically how we are doing the ride london one tbh!)

Is anyone going to try a bike swap for the drop into the jungle on stage 3?

bobinski

Legendary Member
30 seconds slower than me, but with pretty much the same ave. power and same w/kg over the whole ride. I'm guessing though that you still felt pretty fresh at the end of the climb, whereas I was dying on my @rse!!

I started slow and worked through the field from 290th hitting the first climb hard and coming over the top in 90th. I felt good but knowing I have a plan to stick to eased off and made sure I wasn’t dropped over the next 2 laps by the group I was in. I told them I would ride the climb steady and invited anyone who wanted to join me to say but they sped off😂 Difficult not to chase and I was 6 mins slower than my best time up the climb but I did feel reasonably fresh at the top and if I didn’t have a 2-3h ride tomorrow would have carried on .
I am looking at Norry and his fantastic improvement in form and where that’s coming from. Must stick to the plan unlike you young guns who can improve largely through racing.

Top Bottom