Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably ... not 100% sure yet. Will wait to see what others do on earlier races and what feedback is (if any) on Facebook.

Not sure how quick it would be on a tablet....might try in a ride tomorrow.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Not sure how quick it would be on a tablet....might try in a ride tomorrow.
For a change you lose about 20-30 seconds. You'd have to change going into the Jungle, then again when you come out before heading back downtown. So potentially lose 60 seconds to gain, probably not much more than that? Need to have a nose around ZwiftInsider to see what they say about the MTBs.

JuhaL

Guru
I did my first test workout with Trainerroad today with my Elite Drivo 2 trainer and it went pretty well, except cadence drop down 90rpm to 45rpm when target power drop to 80w. It was like in a standby mode or something, when i significantly raise the cadence it wake up back and start to measure. Don't know was it the main reason too low target power or what.

Whorty

TdZ stage 2 - 1:09:00 according to Zwift. Waiting for ZwiftPower.

@Whorty - I’m coming for you! :boxing:
Looks like a B cat time to me :reading:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
From my limited knowledge on this subject,. upto 80% should be endurance zone 2. Peaking for the season or event with HIT towards

For us older riders its double edged. We lose alot of VO2Max which is by far the biggest limiter to high end performance.

Yes and no. Your genetic potential max aerobic capacity declines with age but unless you raced at a high level when younger it’s doubtful this is your limiter. You can still increase your actual VO2 up to your max genetic potential.

Even at 5 hours training a week the remaining 20% gives you an hour at or near your VO2 Max I.e. above FTP. If you are doing 5 min intervals at VO2 max you’d still be doing around 12 intervals over the course of a week. So two sessions of 6 x 5 a week with at least two days between them. Then add in some long outdoor rides at no more than 75% max heart rate.

I’ve read somewhere that if you want to maintain your current VO2 max then once a week is sufficient. Two sessions a week to increase it. Any more times a week and you have high levels of cortisol in your system for too long which eventually leads to chronic inflammation, overtraining, fatigue and possibly disease if you don’t back off. Cortisol is great for eliciting adaption and growth but its also a stress hormone and we know what continual stress does.

This is generally what I do, keeping turbo to no more than an hour including the low intensity work between intervals. Then throw in a low effort 2-4 hour ride most weekends, making the out door rides longer as we move into Spring.

Outdoors when doing an easy ride I wear a HR strap and basic Polar watch with an alarm if I reach the top of Seiler’s green zone. If it beeps I back off. I do these solo as temptation with others is to race every hill.

When riding with others or during events I forget the numbers and just have fun. Low intensity is enjoyable as well, but you do have to be disciplined.

Stephen Seiler’s ideas certainly work for me.

Here’s a presentation he did which complements his recent video and podcasts

50A8EF20-1833-459A-B036-DB11B21D72DD.jpeg

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stephen_Seiler/publication/310725768_Seiler's_Hierarchy_of_Endurance_Training_Needs/links/583590c208ae004f74cc51f5/Seilers-Hierarchy-of-Endurance-Training-Needs.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Attachments

• A84768DC-259B-421F-AC08-4D35F47F4946.png
    A84768DC-259B-421F-AC08-4D35F47F4946.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Whorty

Hehe! That was one reason I was waiting for Zwiftpower...

I averaged 3.1W/KG for the event according to Zwiftpower, so right on the limit of C!
:girldance:

I didn’t hold anything back, but might have worked too hard on the laps before KOM. Felt like I could have gone quicker for the average 3.1w/kg if I was smarter tbh.
95% of 20 mins is 3.22 :laugh: 3 of those put you in B ...... you need to hold back next time to keep under the limit :rofl:

Our power/watts numbers were similar, but at 4 kg lower this is probably where your advantage came on the climb. I really do need to start say "no thanks" to the cakes :mrpig:

Great time though. Did you do stage 1? can't recall.

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
95% of 20 mins is 3.22 :laugh: 3 of those put you in B ...... you need to hold back next time to keep under the limit :rofl:

Our power/watts numbers were similar, but at 4 kg lower this is probably where your advantage came on the climb. I really do need to start say "no thanks" to the cakes :mrpig:

Great time though. Did you do stage 1? can't recall.

Ah, didn’t realise the category classifier was taken from 95% of 20 minute power - I had assumed it was race/event average.

To be honest, I do expect to be promoted during or shortly after TdZ.

I did complete stage one - you had a couple of minutes on me in that one so I think you’re still ahead but less than a minute in it. And if Zwiftpower promote me I’m happy to be promoted in our league mid-month.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes and no. Your genetic potential max aerobic capacity declines with age but unless you raced at a high level when younger it’s doubtful this is your limiter. You can still increase your actual VO2 up to your max genetic potential.

Even at 5 hours training a week the remaining 20% gives you an hour at or near your VO2 Max I.e. above FTP. If you are doing 5 min intervals at VO2 max you’d still be doing around 12 intervals over the course of a week. So two sessions of 6 x 5 a week with at least two days between them. Then add in some long outdoor rides at no more than 75% max heart rate.

I’ve read somewhere that if you want to maintain your current VO2 max then once a week is sufficient. Two sessions a week to increase it. Any more times a week and you have high levels of cortisol in your system for too long which eventually leads to chronic inflammation, overtraining, fatigue and possibly disease if you don’t back off. Cortisol is great for eliciting adaption and growth but its also a stress hormone and we know what continual stress does.

This is generally what I do, keeping turbo to no more than an hour including the low intensity work between intervals. Then throw in a low effort 2-4 hour ride most weekends, making the out door rides longer as we move into Spring.

Outdoors when doing an easy ride I wear a HR strap and basic Polar watch with an alarm if I reach the top of Seiler’s green zone. If it beeps I back off. I do these solo as temptation with others is to race every hill.

When riding with others or during events I forget the numbers and just have fun. Low intensity is enjoyable as well, but you do have to be disciplined.

Stephen Seiler’s ideas certainly work for me.

Here’s a presentation he did which complements his recent video and podcasts

View attachment 501049

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stephen_Seiler/publication/310725768_Seiler's_Hierarchy_of_Endurance_Training_Needs/links/583590c208ae004f74cc51f5/Seilers-Hierarchy-of-Endurance-Training-Needs.pdf?origin=publication_detail

I more in depth analysis of what Ive been doing over the last few years. I tried a winter of high intensity which had great results until spring where I felt quite fatigued.

I now only try and do like one race(zwift) a week and the rest low intensity zone 2 work.

This winter has been interrupted with spells of winter coughs and colds, so Ive needed two attempts of a month of endurance base training to regain fitness

Top Bottom