Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Go big, go deep :biggrin:

Aero wheels are really no slower than lightweight climbing wheels :okay:

View: https://youtu.be/5ka9jKZY3Lk

bridgy

Legendary Member
Go big, go deep :biggrin:

Aero wheels are really no slower than lightweight climbing wheels :okay:

View: https://youtu.be/5ka9jKZY3Lk

Don't tell @<Tommy> ;)

Seriously though, they were slower, if only 6 seconds - but that's a very short climb (it's just round the corner from me). Thinking of our Ventoux trip in particular, that climb is nearer 2 hours rather than 10 minutes and we are planning to do it 3 times. Scaling up that 6 second saving to three 2 hour climbs of Ventoux that means a saving of over half an hour - or a few less watts needed to go the same speed. Which might be worthwhile I guess!

Three climbs of Ventoux is a pretty extreme example though - I think the concensus these days is definitely that in terms of saving watts from your bike (or going faster), aero trumps lightweight in pretty much any terrain except for the longest alpine climbing days.

Not that it's ALL about going faster - as was said in the video, the lighter wheels "felt" quicker/nicer particularly when accelerating and so that might be your priority. Also, I saw/read something a while back explaining why some pros go for lightweight wheels and frames even though they know that aero would be faster/more efficient in a stage or race overall. It's because many races are won or lost with accelerations or attacks on hills, and it's at these moments when the lighter wheels give their advantage - the rest of the race they can sit in the draft anyway, so this minimises the aero benefits they could have had. As always, it's complicated...

Anybody fancy a race tonight?
Can't, taking wifey to local pub for a meal :smooch: (never thought I'd get to use that emoji on this forum :laugh: ). I'm planning to do a workout early afternoon to build up a nice appetite :hungry:

Sorry no race tonight

Table booked for a romantic meal for 2, only been married since August but been together for 26 years and this is the first time we have celebrated valentine day with a meal😂😂

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Don't tell @<Tommy> ;)

Seriously though, they were slower, if only 6 seconds - but that's a very short climb (it's just round the corner from me). Thinking of our Ventoux trip in particular, that climb is nearer 2 hours rather than 10 minutes and we are planning to do it 3 times. Scaling up that 6 second saving to three 2 hour climbs of Ventoux that means a saving of over half an hour - or a few less watts needed to go the same speed. Which might be worthwhile I guess!

Three climbs of Ventoux is a pretty extreme example though - I think the concensus these days is definitely that in terms of saving watts from your bike (or going faster), aero trumps lightweight in pretty much any terrain except for the longest alpine climbing days.

Not that it's ALL about going faster - as was said in the video, the lighter wheels "felt" quicker/nicer particularly when accelerating and so that might be your priority. Also, I saw/read something a while back explaining why some pros go for lightweight wheels and frames even though they know that aero would be faster/more efficient in a stage or race overall. It's because many races are won or lost with accelerations or attacks on hills, and it's at these moments when the lighter wheels give their advantage - the rest of the race they can sit in the draft anyway, so this minimises the aero benefits they could have had. As always, it's complicated...

As far as I can tell from skim watching it, that video concluded any time saved on lighter wheels going up is levelled out in aero gains going do and on the flat. Not that they were equally good going up. And like you say when you’re going up mountains it’s a bit different to your local Uk lump in the road.

Side point but he said those zipp 202 were nearly 1400g. That isn’t light for a set of wheels. Don’t know why they didn’t go for a lighter set.

Bit of a worthless test really as the science was so lacking. GCN has a habit of it... From memory more controlled tests show aero trumps lightweight for us normal folk up until around 4 or 5%. Obviously this number varies depending on a load of other factors.

From personal experience doing hill reps on both 1500g and 1100g rims the difference is noticeable. Like you say acceleration is a big factor too.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Don't tell @<Tommy> ;)

In the example, every bit of saving might be worthwhile. Especially when coming back down off Ventoux, its very fast, exposed and can be terribly windy. Crosswinds, deep aero:ohmy:

<Tommy>

In the example, every bit of saving might be worthwhile. Especially when coming back down off Ventoux, its very fast, exposed and can be terribly windy. Crosswinds, deep aero:ohmy:

Exactly. Especially when fatigue has kicked in.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm getting my practice in for cycling in strong crosswinds whilst fatigued at the duathlon on Sunday! My rims are I think 45mm and I have no plans to buy any more so they'll have to cope with whatever I - or the elements - throw at them!

<Tommy>

I'm getting my practice in for cycling in strong crosswinds whilst fatigued at the duathlon on Sunday! My rims are I think 45mm and I have no plans to buy any more so they'll have to cope with whatever I - or the elements - throw at them!

I know you haven’t forgotten the Isle of Wight 😳. I know I haven’t either! To be fair I think my lightweight wheels are around 45mm. I guess it just depends how gusty it gets. Good luck!

bridgy

Legendary Member
I know you haven’t forgotten the Isle of Wight 😳. I know I haven’t either! To be fair I think my lightweight wheels are around 45mm. I guess it just depends how gusty it gets. Good luck!
Oh yeah - was seriously wussing out on that windy descent!:surrender:

bridgy

Legendary Member
The organisers sent out an email saying wheel rim depth was limited to 40mm for safety reasons (never a good thing!) - but lots of people said the minimum they had was 45 or 50 so I think they've relaxed the rule to 50mm now! Should even up the playing field on the cycling leg to those serious triathlon types with solid rear disc wheels etc etc. In fact I don't think I'd want to be on an aero triathlon bike full stop in the weather that's forecast - those things must be like sails in crosswinds like that!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
The organisers sent out an email saying wheel rim depth was limited to 40mm for safety reasons (never a good thing!) - but lots of people said the minimum they had was 45 or 50 so I think they've relaxed the rule to 50mm now! Should even up the playing field on the cycling leg to those serious triathlon types with solid rear disc wheels etc etc. In fact I don't think I'd want to be on an aero triathlon bike full stop in the weather that's forecast - those things must be like sails in crosswinds like that!
Shame the weather isn't going to be better, I'd have popped over with the wifey to cheer you on. You'll only be just up the road from me (about an hour) ... but with that weather forecast, I'll be staying indoors :tongue: Good luck Paul :okay:

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Shame the weather is going to be better, I'd have popped over with the wifey to cheer you on. You'll only be just up the road from me (about an hour) ... but with that weather forecast, I'll be staying indoors :tongue: Good luck Paul :okay:
Can't blame you carl! I'm not really sure why I'm still planning to go through with it to be honest!

Thanks - I'll let you know how I get on survive!

Top Bottom