Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Lighter or just able to knock out a higher watt per kilo?

Sort of going back to what I was saying yesterday about race tactics and drafting. For my money it’s always better to be nearer the front. Even more so being a bigger rider approaching a lump in the road. I can’t match the lightest lightest guys who can also knock out a bit of power over a long climb. But if I’m at the back of the group at the start of a climb then I have no chance.

To be honest though it sounds like so many people were sandbagging yesterday that it probably wouldn’t of made a difference.
Proportionally its harder for a bigger rider to maintain higher Watts per kilo.

bridgy

Legendary Member
That is not what I read. I read that you will be DQ if your FTP during the ride is more than 4 watt/k (in cat B). So, e.g. if you averaged 4.2 watt/kg and the race is less than an hour, it's ok since 4.2 * 0.95 <= 4 (the 20 min FTP calc).

[edit]
Sorry, two different things. Going from cat A to B, or get DQ.
Not quite - there's a difference between your "average watts" and the 95% of 20 minute power FTP figure. It's a bit confusing but essentially you can ignore the "average power" figure on ZP for this purpose.

As long as you then enter the correct Category you have leeway to exceed the max w/kg FTP for your category in a race by 0.2 w/kg without being DQ'd or moved categories (exactly what happens I think may differ depending on the race organiser).

As the limit is 3.9w/kg in Cat B, this means you can do 4.1w/kg for 95% of your best 20 minute power in the race and not be DQ'd. (i.e not quite the same as 95% of your "average power")

It doesn't show by default but you can see the 95% figure by clicking on "view 95%" button at the top of the race results. Having done this for last night's race, no one in the Cat B results exceeded 4.1w/kg for their 95% of 20 minute power figure (even if the "average watts" figure was higher).

But Tommy is also right that your category that ZP automatically assigns you is calculated from the average of your 3 best FTP's from races in the last 90 days - FTP in this case again meaning 95% of your best 20 minute power

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Not quite - there's a difference between your "average watts" and the 95% of 20 minute power FTP figure. It's a bit confusing but essentially you can ignore the "average power" figure on ZP for this purpose.

As long as you then enter the correct Category you have leeway to exceed the max w/kg FTP for your category in a race by 0.2 w/kg without being DQ'd or moved categories (exactly what happens I think may differ depending on the race organiser).

As the limit is 3.9w/kg in Cat B, this means you can do 4.1w/kg for 95% of your best 20 minute power in the race and not be DQ'd. (i.e not quite the same as 95% of your "average power")

It doesn't show by default but you can see the 95% figure by clicking on "view 95%" button at the top of the race results. Having done this for last night's race, no one in the Cat B results exceeded 4.1w/kg for their 95% of 20 minute power figure (even if the "average watts" figure was higher).

But Tommy is also right that your category that ZP automatically assigns you is calculated from the average of your 3 best FTP's from races in the last 90 days - FTP in this case again meaning 95% of your best 20 minute power
I think this means in theory, your 95% of 20 mins could be 3.199 (in C) but your hour race average could be 3.3 w/kg and you'd neither be disqualified or upgraded.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
You would say that being a bigger rider ... it's not easy for us squirts either :tongue: We only have little legs ;)

For climbs

Example. 70kg V 90kg.

250W is 3.57W/kg (70kg)

321W for 90kg to achieve same W/kg

Now 70kg rider goes upto 4.5W/kg =315W a jump of 65W

90kg rider needs 405W to match 4.5W/kg a jump of 84W

29% more watts to achieve same W/kg

Then we could also add just little more aero drag for a bigger rider.

That's why light riders go up hills faster for longer. It takes less out of them even when standing.

Im not saying heavyweight riders are disadvantaged always, they can out power in short bursts lighter riders generally(short stabby hills). But long duration event s its not beneficial to be heavy, it just wears out the riders resources.

kipster

Guru
I didn’t know this. Everyday school day :okay:
I always use big ring and mid cassette, but I don't have a direct drive turbo.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Proportionally its harder for a bigger rider to maintain higher Watts per kilo.

Yes but you said from watching brusgaard video they were doing more w/kg than you. That doesn’t mean they are necessarily lighter than you, just that they are doing higher watts per kg. In fact, they could of been heavier than you!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Yes but you said from watching brusgaard video they were doing more w/kg than you. That doesn’t mean they are necessarily lighter than you, just that they are doing higher watts per kg. In fact, they could of been heavier than you!
Fair point - the top 3 in Cat C weighed 100kg, 94kg, and 92kg respectively

Top Bottom