Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
What is your power profile like, Del?

If you had a similar avg output to Alongo but struggling to hold on at the start then maybe dropping 1-2KG and focussed training for 5min power would do it?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I've lost nearly 1.5 stone/9.5 kg in the last year from a starting point of 13 stone/82.5kg. Last night I was down to 11st 8lbs/73.4kgs, which is 1 pound above what I weighed in my late teens.

That is great news Derek:okay:

Please don't think I'm knocking you because I've done similar in the recent past.

What is it all for really?

Most of us are not breaking any records or likely to, we do it for fun and fitness, well I hope so!. Does it really matter whether you are 73 or 83kg or somewhere in between?.

If there is a specific reason you must be at the lower end of your weight range, then its perfectly fine to keep chasing the odd pound or two loss but if its for nothing specific, then have a thought, would it be more pleasant, easier to maintain a weight a few pounds heavier?

Plus you can be top 10 in C's and have a cake :hungry:

Del C

Veteran
What is your power profile like, Del?

If you had a similar avg output to Alongo but struggling to hold on at the start then maybe dropping 1-2KG and focussed training for 5min power would do it?
I think 11 stone 7lbs/73kg is the lowest weight I can get to without cutting my food intake to a level that I'm not interested in doing. It's meant to be fun and that just wouldn't be.

The problem is definitely my short term power. 20 minute power could be better but it's ok. It's really my 15 and 30 second power where I struggle, and that means I'm likely to lose the faster starters and I can't always hold attacks on rolling courses

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I think 11 stone 7lbs/73kg is the lowest weight I can get to without cutting my food intake to a level that I'm not interested in doing. It's meant to be fun and that just wouldn't be.

The problem is definitely my short term power. 20 minute power could be better but it's ok. It's really my 15 and 30 second power where I struggle, and that means I'm likely to lose the faster starters and I can't always hold attacks on rolling courses
At my height I definitely have more weight I could lose .... i think, technically, I'm still close to being overweight on the BMI scale :laugh: I weighed myself at the end of the last league and subsequently dropped my weight to 73kg. I won't weigh myself again now until this league is over but I'm still pushing to go sub 70kg. This is def put me in B at some stage I know ... but then I'll have to train to chase @bobinski down :gun: :rofl:

Del C

Veteran
That is great news Derek:okay:

Please don't think I'm knocking you because I've done similar in the recent past.

What is it all for really?

Most of us are not breaking any records or likely to, we do it for fun and fitness, well I hope so!. Does it really matter whether you are 73 or 83kg or somewhere in between?.

If there is a specific reason you must be at the lower end of your weight range, then its perfectly fine to keep chasing the odd pound or two loss but if its for nothing specific, then have a thought, would it be more pleasant, easier to maintain a weight a few pounds heavier?

Edit: Beer consumption at home has been rising during the lockdown! :cheers:

Plus you can be top 10 in C's and have a cake :hungry:
It's really just how my metabolism works.

I used to play a lot of squash to a good level when I was in my 20s and 30s. I'd play at least 5 times a week, eat what I wanted and usually drink 2 pints after a match and put no weight on at all. I was normally around 12 stone.

When I stop exercising I slowly put weight on. My highest was around 14 stone 10 when I was very busy at work and stopped exercising for a while.

So, my current weight isn't anything surprising to me based on past experience. Probably the only difference is that I drink less beer than I did, and I don't eat as much bread and cheese as I did, but I'm eating quite well. I enjoy food.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Feck me boys- you realise the sun is shining?

Shut it Bob:crazy:

You only want someone to ride with at the back:okay:

We are building Codgers dream team

Last edited:
Well I woke up to some excellent and hilarious advice this morning. Thanks guys! That's cheered me up after last night! ^_^

A perfect summary really! :laugh:

I've lost nearly 1.5 stone/9.5 kg in the last year from a starting point of 13 stone/82.5kg. Last night I was down to 11st 8lbs/73.4kgs, which is 1 pound above what I weighed in my late teens.

This all started off with a viral infection that caused a loss of appetite, but since then its been a mixture of cutting down on certain foods like bread, slightly smaller meals and less snacks and riding regularly on my turbo. I still eat well, so this has just been an adjustment, not some sort of mid life obsession.

I suppose a couple of things also drove me on. Firstly, less weight and more power means better climbing when I go riding in the mountains each summer, except that's not looking too promising this year. Secondly, it was part of my effort to get to B cat, which seemed like a good old bastard challenge, especially for someone who's always been fit and active and is determined to stay that way.

@CXRAndy has summed up my problem. Having got to B, and then got back there again after my short enforced lay off, I've got the power on the flats, but the rolling stuff is what seems to get me. On the longer climbs, I seem to do ok as well. On the Haute Route rides at the weekend, I was always gaining places on the climbs at the weekend.

So, I've got two choices it seems. Get fatter and drop to C or try and keep up with @bobinski in B !!

I need to think about this!! :laugh:

There is a third option, just stick to the climbing races in B cat

Alongo

Guru
@Del C , looking back on your Strava , over the past two weeks you have been involved in “Races” about 10/11 times , including the gruelling Haute Route . I didnt look at the intensity you rode on each race but it seems to me you are racing too often , you are always going to be carrying a fair bit of fatigue and you are probably not showing up to any of them in a fresh state .
Another observation is you are organising and riding your clubs virtual club runs and time trials plus riding them no doubt, maybe you are spreading yourself too thin , you can’t possibly expect to be on top form on every outing , especially at our age 😂,
I felt like I would “enjoy “ last nights race more if I was flying at the front of the “c”s , at the moment I’m putting it down to a course that didnt suit me and an slightly higher heart rate which I am putting down to having my dinner only 90 mins before race and my body was busy digesting food as well as racing .
It’s obvious your passion is on fire at the moment Del , mines not really , ignore all this if it doesn’t seem relevant , but don’t burn out mate .

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Everyone’s got their own level I guess. Different levels for different things too. some people lack motivation. Some people find motivation easily. These are all relative concepts...

If the things you do make you happy and don’t hurt anyone else then what else is there to worry about?

But if enjoy pushing yourself hard then what’s the problem in that? If you don’t then don’t. Each to their own?

Del C

Veteran
@Del C , looking back on your Strava , over the past two weeks you have been involved in “Races” about 10/11 times , including the gruelling Haute Route . I didnt look at the intensity you rode on each race but it seems to me you are racing too often , you are always going to be carrying a fair bit of fatigue and you are probably not showing up to any of them in a crash state .
Another observation is you are organising and riding your clubs virtual club runs and time trials plus riding them no doubt, maybe you are spreading yourself too thin , you can’t possibly expect to be on top form on every outing , especially at our age 😂,
I felt like I would “enjoy “ last nights race more if I was flying at the front of the “c”s , at the moment I’m putting it down to a course that didnt suit me and an slightly higher heart rate which I am putting down to having my dinner only 90 mins before race and my body was busy digesting food as well as racing .
It’s obvious your passion is on fire at the moment Del , mines not really , ignore all this if it doesn’t seem relevant , but don’t burn out mate .
That's a pretty good summary to be fair.

peterob

Veteran
@Del C , looking back on your Strava , over the past two weeks you have been involved in “Races” about 10/11 times , including the gruelling Haute Route . I didnt look at the intensity you rode on each race but it seems to me you are racing too often , you are always going to be carrying a fair bit of fatigue and you are probably not showing up to any of them in a crash state .
Very good advice from @Alongo. I know from my own experience that I can realistically only 'race' once a week (possibly twice depending on other workload) at a level that I'm happy with.

Also the nature of racing on Zwift tends to be relatively short races with explosive starts. This suits my riding as I have relatively good explosive / short-term power but lack endurance (something I've been trying to address) but will work against other people.

peterob

Veteran
Here's the early Cyclechat league table after last night's rides.

It makes interesting reading and clearly show the importance of getting into a group on races with long flat sections. There was very little difference in the times from the high C cat riders compared to myself and @Norry1, who finished mid-pack in B. Whereas Andy and Del suffered by not being in a large group for long periods.

Hopefully @Whorty and @CXRAndy will not have issues next week. @Brusgaard & @LBHIFI - what happened to you guys last night?

Top Bottom