Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I'm just working off the option that's best for budget

Buying a 6 year old CPU/GPU is not best in any way. Zwift is a game and needs all the power you can throw at it. It does not run great on my iPad Air 2, which has the same CPU as the non-4K ATV, especially in big rides/races.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
A few of the guys have jumped over to appletv lately. I think @peterob has got the best deal so far. He can correct me but I think it was around £120 with 6 month warranty for a reconditioned unit(?). Like I said earlier I don’t think you get a better pc or laptop for that money unless you strike it lucky.

I think appletv is one of those things where general consensus amongst people who get it seems to be, “I should of done this ages ago’”.

I’d like a straight forward way of filming racing action on it though if anyone has worked out a good method I’d be grateful.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
A few of the guys have jumped over to appletv lately. I think @peterob has got the best deal so far. He can correct me but I think it was around £120 with 6 month warranty for a reconditioned unit(?). Like I said earlier I don’t think you get a better pc or laptop for that money unless you strike it lucky.

I think appletv is one of those things where general consensus amongst people who get it seems to be, “I should of done this ages ago’”.

I’d like a straight forward way of filming racing action on it though if anyone has worked out a good method I’d be grateful.

One also has remember that you limit yourself to only a few select simulator options with an ATV. The rest of your “training eco-system” has to do Bluetooth (and you may even have to use your phone for full connectivity). If not, you will need some kind of ANT+>BT bridge, be it CA:BLE or a 4III HRM, and then you have to invest even more on top of just the ATV, moving the price closer to that of a used PC. It doesn’t have to be a laptop in my opinion!

To record your ATV races you need an input box connected to a PC, making it pretty pointless with the ATV in the first place. GPlama dropped the ATV for a gaming PC, which has far superior graphics, and no stupid Bluetooth channel limitations etc.

Only problem with PC is the start of Zwift. I simply don’t get, why the PC (Mac too?) version of Zwift takes ages to load. I am up and riding in Bkool Simulator within 20 seconds, whereas Zwift takes at least 1-2 minutes, that is if it doesn’t hang on startup...

Last edited:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Alan C (vEveresting)

That’s it.

Thanks for the support boys. I should be in bed long ago but I’m faffing about getting stuff ready.

I’ll most likely have discord on the go - Team IRL Social Channels Everest Channel 🚵
https://discord.gg/TCYe6V

And for anyone on Facebook I’ll do the odd live check in but that might stop if I’m under pressure or the undercarriage is getting rusty

Joffey

Big Dosser
That’s it.

Thanks for the support boys. I should be in bed long ago but I’m faffing about getting stuff ready.
View attachment 524412

I’ll most likely have discord on the go - Team IRL Social Channels Everest Channel 🚵
https://discord.gg/TCYe6V

And for anyone on Facebook I’ll do the odd live check in but that might stop if I’m under pressure or the undercarriage is getting rusty

Good luck! :boxing:

<Tommy>

One also has remember that you limit yourself to only a few select simulator options with an ATV. The rest of your “training eco-system” has to do Bluetooth (and you may even have to use your phone for full connectivity). If not, you will need some kind of ANT+>BT bridge, be it CA:BLE or a 4III HRM, and then you have to invest even more on top of just the ATV, moving the price closer to that of a used PC. It doesn’t have to be a laptop in my opinion!

To record your ATV races you need an input box connected to a PC, making it pretty pointless with the ATV in the first place. GPlama dropped the ATV for a gaming PC, which has far superior graphics, and no stupid Bluetooth channel limitations etc.

Only problem with PC is the start of Zwift. I simple don’t get, why the PC (Mac too?) version of Zwift takes ages to load. I am up and riding in Bkool Simulator within 20 seconds, whereas Zwift takes at least 1-2 minutes, that is if it doesn’t hang on startup...

I think that last point is the reason I like appletv so much. It just works when you turn it on. The graphics are fine for me. I don’t really pay much attention to my surroundings when I‘m racing. But if that’s important to you then it’s something to think about. And all my stuff pairs instantly 99% of the time.

The filming thing is a bit clunky. I’d assume most people who have appletv already have a laptop so it’s not the end of the world. But it’s a shame there’s not a more straight forward way of recording.

The lack of loading thing is the winner for me personally. Just sit on the bike, click on zwift and you’re cycling in seconds. My hrm etc pair instantly 99% of the time first time. Then if you want to change ride no problem. Just another few seconds to do that. On desktop it’s a bit of a pain waiting. And it seems to go wrong a lot more too. Most times when I’m racing with someone it seems if they don’t make the start line it’s because they have desktop version rather than the app.

It’s definitely still not perfect. So I think some people will prefer one system over the other with good reasons. But I’d definitely recommend everyone tries it to see if it works for them.

<Tommy>

All the very best @IrishAl you crazy fool !!!

:bravo:

peterob

Veteran

I got this deal which is still on at the BT online shop. A reconditioned unit for £109 but it came spotless with all the cables etc and a 6 month warranty.

Attachments

• 1BB394B1-B873-4134-8FC7-D59F17AE0504.png
    1BB394B1-B873-4134-8FC7-D59F17AE0504.png
    26 KB · Views: 2

JuhaL

Guru
Only problem with PC is the start of Zwift. I simple don’t get, why the PC (Mac too?) version of Zwift takes ages to load. I am up and riding in Bkool Simulator within 20 seconds, whereas Zwift takes at least 1-2 minutes, that is if it doesn’t hang on startup...
i have installed Zwift to my iPad Pro, Macbook Pro and iMac. iPad and Macbook works fast and Zwift load fast but with iMac i have been issues for awhile. My iMac must have memory or hard drive problems, it loads everything slowly but after that it works well. iMac Pro would be nice replacement but their price is pure robbery.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I got this deal which is still on at the BT online shop. A reconditioned unit for £109 but it came spotless with all the cables etc and a 6 month warranty.

Yes, that’s the one to get! Who cares if it has a few scratches anyway. The one I linked to (~£153) of course comes with a 24 month warranty, but is it worth the premium?

Last edited:
Top Bottom