Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
He’s dropped the power off now. I don’t know what target he’s set for each climb. But we’re a fairly similar weight and ftp and I think I’d be aiming at around 1:15. Even that might be too quick for me though. Dunno...
My cycling Tenerife buddy, who weighs somewhere high 50's kgs completed it doing 1.09 per climb. He said it was too quick and blew up after 6 climbs. I hope Alan has got his pacing correct, what time did he start?

JuhaL

Guru
My cycling Tenerife buddy, who weighs somewhere high 50's kgs completed it doing 1.09 per climb. He said it was too quick and blew up after 6 climbs. I hope Alan has got his pacing correct, what time did he start?
Alan is ride now about 5hrs so is that start time about 7am?.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Any plans?

roller skating with my youngest daughter after lunch followed by a couple of beers 😄

Don’t know to be honest mate. Have you thought about it? I’ve done three climbs twice and felt like crap after both times. Not sure I’ve got it in me. But maybe that’s why I’d try to do it, for that challenge. I know that that quite a few people have completed it but they’re all blood impressive aren’t they! 8 1/2 seems like a small number but I can’t even imagine the different moments you must go through along the way.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

On that group I mentioned they talk about doing a base camp. Which I think is 4 or maybe 5 climbs before you go for the full attempt. Just to try and gage what it’s all about. It must be very tempting to try and go out fast so you’re not on the bike for 12+ hours. But there’s a price to pay I guess. God it sounds bloody horrendous doesn’t it?!

messaging Alan through the day might help. I bet he’ll appreciate the odd shout out as he goes up.

JuhaL

Guru
Those kind of challenges like everest challenge as well need a full healthy check to make sure that heart and every thing else is fine.

Del C

Veteran
Just checked in on @IrishAl

He's around 5.5 - 6 hours in and still climbing at around 250w, and he's peaked up around 290w a couple of times.

That's pretty impressive.

Sent him a message of support. Said he's 'grinding away'!

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Alan have lot of kilometers. From the start about 300km and some :eek:

12.2 km up and 12.2 km down = 24.4 km. He should do that about 8.5-9 times to do an Everest (8.848m), which is less than 210 km. Should not need to ride nowhere near 300 km, unless he chooses to for variety. Road to Sky has about 5 km "lead-in" and then just up/down the Alpe.

mjd1988

Guru
roller skating with my youngest daughter after lunch followed by a couple of beers 😄

Don’t know to be honest mate. Have you thought about it? I’ve done three climbs twice and felt like crap after both times. Not sure I’ve got it in me. But maybe that’s why I’d try to do it, for that challenge. I know that that quite a few people have completed it but they’re all blood impressive aren’t they! 8 1/2 seems like a small number but I can’t even imagine the different moments you must go through along the way.

Haven't even done a century yet mate! And one climb of the alpe has always felt like enough. Its not something I'd rule out but at this point in my life I just can't spend enough time on the training or the one off event. And that's before lack of ability comes into it!

mjd1988

Guru

Chapeau! Alan was saying thanks to everyone again there. I doubt I would be able to type at all! Over 5500 metres down

JuhaL

Guru
12.2 km up and 12.2 km down = 24.4 km. He should do that about 8.5-9 times to do an Everest (8.848m), which is less than 210 km. Should not need to ride nowhere near 300 km, unless he chooses to for variety. Road to Sky has about 5 km "lead-in" and then just up/down the Alpe.
I am a warning example about over 50yo man, especially when i am at work my sense is not that sharp anymore :blush::wacko:

Top Bottom