Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLaw

Veteran
Holy smokes, I don't believe it - I WON A RACE!

And not in the "ZwiftPower has said that I came first after all the sandbaggers and non-registered have been removed from the results" sort of way (which I have done before), but actually legitimately crossing the finishing line with "1st / 17" on the scoreboard to the right of the screen. I have NEVER managed that before and I am so totally stoked that I'm struggling to type this (although that might also be down to sheer exhaustion as well, because I am completely knackered too).

Okay, I'll admit that I was a bit lucky. It was a ZHQ Beta Crit Race, so the green cones were in effect, which meant that the field was limited to actual D's and not people pretending to be. And they really did work well - I got to take advantage of at least three riders who had the brakes put on them, including the one where I timed an attack perfectly into what turned out to be the winning breakaway with 2 laps to go. I also got some absolutely stellar power-ups at exactly the right time; hardly a duff one in there. And the guy who was catching me on the line also got green coned with just 10 metres to go (he was sprinting at 8.1 w/kg admittedly), which probably just about helped seal the win.

Anyway, I won't bore you with the details - especially when you can watch it for yourself later! Yes of course I did record it. Yes I will put in on YouTube and post the link on here. Yes I am definitely that vain!
Congrats. It definitely feels good to see the "1st" in the zwift results. I like those ZHQ beta races because it's a hell of a lot easier to know who's legit and who isn't and it certainly feels good to lap the green cones.

Interesting note, if a green cone rider uses the invisibility powerup, you can still see their cone :-)

It'd be useful to know how long he held that 8.1w/kg to get a code of shame. That's right about where my sprint is right now for ~15s.

JLaw

Veteran
Shorter crit city race today (I did a hr race yesterday and will likely race tomorrow too).

Good turnout in D. I picked an opponent that was likely to just barely DQ and marked him for all but the last half mile. Result was 2nd as they let a 2.8w/kg rider win. More importantly, best 20min power in ~18 months.

Even with the recent weight drops, still not enough to push me into C, but closer. Interestingly enough my result would have been either 3rd or 4th for the C group.

Del C

Veteran
Well a tough TTT last night.

2 laps of the Yorkshire UCI course, which is one of the toughest starts on Zwift. Out of the pens and very quickly starting the long draggy ascent, while trying to hold a group of 8 riders together is a real challenge!

Our team was boosted by the inclusion of a GB age group triathlete. When I heard the news, my initial thought was 'this has just got harder'! :wacko: But the team rode really well together and I had my best ride since I joined 5 weeks ago. A good start (at last!) meant I was comfortably in the group which was important with the long drag soon upon us, and no sticky draft issues. We grouped up well and powered through and kept our shape in the process.

Consequently, not much to report as we continued to work well and approached the final climb with the roundabout with all 8 riders intact. It was here that the split finally happened, with 5 of the team going over the top with a 5 second gap on me and 2 others. The other 2 guys were 3-4 seconds back from me. I shouted for the front 5 to go and then the 3 of us at the rear grouped up for the run in.

We finished 77 out of 194 in Frappe class and 160 out of 522 overall, with a time of 43.57. I came over the line in 44.50 with the other 2 guys in the rear group.

For me personally, the best ride I've had so far in TTT. Felt like I was really making a contribution and when the front 5 went clear on the final climb I felt good as I knew the 3 of us dropped had all done our part. Managed to score my third FTP upgrade in 5 weeks, now up to 258w, and my best 20 minute average power at 269w and 3.7w/kg. :boxing:

Looking forward to hearing how the other guys went last night.

BurningLegs

Veteran
What’s the best tactic for a start? All agree a power and ride to it for the final few seconds for a normal start I assume? In a weird “wait for your start” scenario, agree a power and ride up to it as quickly as possible??

Del C

Veteran
What’s the best tactic for a start? All agree a power and ride to it for the final few seconds for a normal start I assume? In a weird “wait for your start” scenario, agree a power and ride up to it as quickly as possible??
Not that scientific really.

The first weeks I sat on the line until zero and then found the team was flying up the road ahead of me.

Last night I started to pedal at 4 seconds to go, in a big enough gear that I could push against. Somebody pointed out to me in the week that when your avatar starts to move, its based on an average of the last 3 seconds, so waiting to zero isn't a good idea, and explains why I was chasing back on in previous weeks.

Also, you're normally sitting far enough back in the pen that it takes a second or 2 before you cross the start line. So, all in all I'd say start hard about 4 seconds before your start time, keep the power on and then you're reliant on the road captain making sure you all group up as the start settles down.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
It doesn't really work looking at the numbers either Watts or W/Kg. Heavier rider will need more Watts to accelerate to a cruising speed and less Watts to ride flat course in a pack

2 laps of the Yorkshire UCI course, which is one of the toughest starts on Zwift. Out of the pens and very quickly starting the long draggy ascent, while trying to hold a group of 8 riders together is a real challenge!

Our team was boosted by the inclusion of a GB age group triathlete. When I heard the news, my initial thought was 'this has just got harder'! :wacko: But the team rode really well together and I had my best ride since I joined 5 weeks ago. A good start (at last!) meant I was comfortably in the group which was important with the long drag soon upon us, and no sticky draft issues. We grouped up well and powered through and kept our shape in the process.

Consequently, not much to report as we continued to work well and approached the final climb with the roundabout with all 8 riders intact. It was here that the split finally happened, with 5 of the team going over the top with a 5 second gap on me and 2 others. The other 2 guys were 3-4 seconds back from me. I shouted for the front 5 to go and then the 3 of us at the rear grouped up for the run in.

We finished 77 out of 194 in Frappe class and 160 out of 522 overall, with a time of 43.57. I came over the line in 44.50 with the other 2 guys in the rear group.

For me personally, the best ride I've had so far in TTT. Felt like I was really making a contribution and when the front 5 went clear on the final climb I felt good as I knew the 3 of us dropped had all done our part. Managed to score my third FTP upgrade in 5 weeks, now up to 258w, and my best 20 minute average power at 269w and 3.7w/kg. :boxing:

Well I got shifted up a group from last week and I was a bit worried, to be honest especially with the course, but as you were talking about starts we tried something different last night and it worked for the TTT format, we all went into the pairing screen from zero, ticked over and with 5 seconds to go all sat at about 4w/kg then all systematically from over discord left the pairing screen on 2 seconds and it worked, the only difference that had to be adjusted was where we were in the pen. so tweaking next week where we join the pen at the same time should improve that.
the race went really well but as we started with 12 min delay we was at the back of the field and caught lots of traffic 😠but i held on and done a few good turns so really happy.group of 7 stated but i was in the last four break for the line. we came in 26th in latte class, time of 46.22. well happy with that on that course. i really need to improve on tucking in at my position but i find it really hard without yo yo ing. practice i ll get there :okay:

Strange evening for me tonight. I'm sitting in the lounge with my good lady listening to her works leaving do (via Zoom). Very emotional as she's giving up work due to her health. She's worked with these guys for the best part of 15 years, and I've known most of the guys for a long time too (we'd always gate crash each others works drinks when we lived in London) plus I did some contract work for the company previously.

So nice to hear all the wonderful comments about her; they made a video of personal comments to her - real tear jerker.

She helped set this company up, set up a lot of the teams and working practices and has been a senior manager for years; they will miss her, but she will miss 'going to work' each day. Her MD is so upset she's leaving - it's so touching.

We always said when we thought her time was getting short that she should pack in work to have some quality peaceful time so this is really very emotional not only for us, but also for those at her company who know the significance of her stopping work. For the first time in probably a year I've had a couple of beers too, which is probably not helping :sad:
All the best to you both CArl :okay:

Alongo

Guru

Looking how your Monday ride compared to last nights on the same course is interesting, pretty much exactly same power and intensity . Chapeau @Del C for your consistency, especially considering your other rides and races too.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Last night I started to pedal at 4 seconds to go, in a big enough gear that I could push against. Somebody pointed out to me in the week that when your avatar starts to move, its based on an average of the last 3 seconds, so waiting to zero isn't a good idea, and explains why I was chasing back on in previous weeks.

This .... can't recall if it was ZwiftInsider or Pritchard who said the same, but yes, Zwift takes you off the line at the average of the 3 second countdown. I now smash it with 5 secs to go so that I'm (hopefully) hitting big numbers for that last 3 seconds. :okay:

Last edited:

Del C

Veteran
Looking how your Monday ride compared to last nights on the same course is interesting, pretty much exactly same power and intensity . Chapeau @Del C for your consistency, especially considering your other rides and races too.
Cheers Andy.

A couple of weeks back I was a bit down about my riding. Felt like I had B cat power but the starts and short term power felt like they were really letting me down.

There's no doubt that riding the TTT and the ITT at the weekend has given me a lift in terms of holding 20 minute power, but it seems to be coming through in terms of fixing my short term power issues.

I started better for the TTT, but I was also much better on Monday for the DBR race. I still don't have the top end power that others have, but maybe its possible to make up for that by better positioning and just being more aware. I got my drafting much better on Monday and last night I was holding my position in the team better as well.

You're right that my figures for last night and Monday were quite close. The FTP upgrade really says that I put a bit more into the first part of the race to help keep the team pace high and that's reflected by the 3 of us falling off the back on the last climb.

So feeling a lot better at the moment. I think for me if I can just hold a solid mid B ranking I'll be happy!

steverob

Guru
It'd be useful to know how long he held that 8.1w/kg to get a code of shame. That's right about where my sprint is right now for ~15s.
Looking back at the footage, it wasn't for very long at all, plus he was using a featherweight powerup (but I only know that because it was still visible above his head as he overtook me just past the line). He was holding the same 3.5-3.9 range as me down the first half of the finishing straight and then from there his numbers went up about 1.2 every second until it actually peaked at 8.8 (figures had already turned orange the second before), which is when the green cone came out. At that point the power numbers disappear from under his name so you can't tell what he's doing, but that was literally 11 meters from the line (I was 3 metres away, he was 8 behind me) so any slow down effects would not have any chance to take effect.

I did notice that fact on all the others who were coned earlier in the race; it took a good few seconds for us to start catching them, but once we did we reeled them in pretty quick. That means it is definitely restricting your power not your speed, so even when coned you still have your previous momentum for those first few seconds before the catch can begin.

Overall, while I think the sprint was the thing that tipped him over the edge in order to get coned, he'd probably been riding hard for the last two laps to catch me (without draft) and that was what had pushed him so close to that limit, so pretty much any sprint would have coned him at that point. And ZwiftPower does have his 95% of 20 minute power as 2.512 w/kg, thus kind of proving my point.

Last edited:

Spartak