Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Proper real world ride this morning, hard core, 18 mile trip to deposit cheque-remember those :laugh:
Remember real world rides? Barely!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Sorry about that ... I saw you as I was doing a sprint interval. I think BKool may have been kind to me again tonight as it felt too easy hitting 1000 watts :sad: I was planning on joining the WBR 1 lap race but decided not to in the end as it just felt too easy tonight.

Fair play for not entering the race last night Carl. I think it's things like that which put me off using the pro unit in zwift. I'm wary of putting up records I won't be able to compete with once I have the atom. I put up a time on alp d'duez on bkool before one of the update and spent the next 6 months post update watching my ghost leave me for dead! Bloody soul destroying :sad:

What I find strange with my (very) limited understanding of the techy stuff... is the inconsistencies of the pro unit on zwift. Does this prove that the bkool behaves differently from one day to the next? Or is zwift responding differently to the unit? :wacko:

rob01792

Über Member
I agree with TT about the inconsistencies of the pro unit on bsim
and the neo is at more of a disadvantage in bsim than the pro is at on zwift
my conclusion is that the bsim software is the biggest problem

bobinski

Legendary Member
One of the Zsunr racing team uses a pro but paired to a pedal based pm. He rode Today having forgot to put pedals on his turbo bike. 395w average for an hour with a bpm average of 140ish. He came onto the FB Page and fessed up that the ride and times were messed up reading far too high and fast. Pedals back on.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Fair play for not entering the race last night Carl. I think it's things like that which put me off using the pro unit in zwift. I'm wary of putting up records I won't be able to compete with once I have the atom. I put up a time on alp d'duez on bkool before one of the update and spent the next 6 months post update watching my ghost leave me for dead! Bloody soul destroying :sad:

What I find strange with my (very) limited understanding of the techy stuff... is the inconsistencies of the pro unit on zwift. Does this prove that the bkool behaves differently from one day to the next? Or is zwift responding differently to the unit? :wacko:

I'm not sure the problem is entirely a Pro issue. Let me explain what I did differently last night......

Actually, it started on Sunday. I logged on to Zwift and after I entered the ride I went to the main menu and set the 'turbo realism' to about 60%. I'd read that having it lower was good for being able to spin a lot and not change gears too many times as it kind of equals out the ups and downs (and adjusts the speed accordingly). Anyhow, I rode for an hour and a bit and saw little difference as all, if anything it was possibly harder but I can't be too sure.

Cut to last night. I logged on 30 mins before the race to warm up, but remembered I had changed the turbo setting so again once in Zwift (as it's the only place you can make this change) I reset the realism back to 100%. I then went for my warm up. This is when I started to notice I was putting in big power for not enough effort (I was pushing hard, but no harder than normal). What was very noticeable was on the flat, if I kept power/pressure on the pedals for no extra effort the watts kept creeping up.

I suspected that maybe this was related to changing the realism but then not rebooting Zwift (something you have to do when you only change the full/window option in the menu). I wonder if this is a Zwift bug, but question is, does it only impact some turbos like the Pro or would it impact all trainers?

I did try to log off Zwift, back and and see if that was better and it was a bit (hardest effort I could only get to 700 watts where I could do 1000 earlier). Does this equate to the 60% realism ... not sure?!?

Only had this problem once before and I suspect this may also have been when I changed the realism option but can't be 100% sure. So, whilst the Pro may over report watts generally, I think there may be more to when they 'fail' to work on the odd occasion as expected.

I'm pretty sure when I use the turbo tomorrow or Friday it will be normal again, due to both the turbo being turned off and Zwift being re-started.

Any ideas?!?

Last edited:

Whorty

One of the Zsunr racing team uses a pro but paired to a pedal based pm. He rode Today having forgot to put pedals on his turbo bike. 395w average for an hour with a bpm average of 140ish. He came onto the FB Page and fessed up that the ride and times were messed up reading far too high and fast. Pedals back on.
Did he say (or do you know) what his normal power is?

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Carl the realism/effort isn't to make it easier, it just changes the part of the Cass where you would normally ride. I have I think a 25/28 Cass on my trainer.By having the setting on 50%, It allows me to go up the Pretzel without grinding a low cadence. Now I still have to make the power by pressing harder on the pedals or spinning a higher cadence. I can't make more power no matter where I have the setting. I think my highest end of race power is high 600s early 700W. My best sprint figure was 800W. I dont have an explosive sprint, I build power and hold it for a period rather than peaking for a few seconds.

Whorty

Carl the realism/effort isn't to make it easier, it just changes the part of the Cass where you would normally ride. I have I think a 25/28 Cass on my trainer.By having the setting on 50%, It allows me to go up the Pretzel without grinding a low cadence.
yes, I understand that. It allows for less gear changing effectively, so a 6% incline is more like a 3% incline, and hence less up and down gear changing. I wonder though if the simulator has reset to 100% but for some reason the message hasn't got to the trainer. I then push on the turbo at what it thinks is 3%, but the sim reads this as 6% - the speed I do on the turbo is therefore twice what it should be, and hence the sim thinks I'm pushing more watts.

Now I'm not saying that this is the normal overreading by the Pro, but a bug/feature of changing the realism but not resetting everything. The only change made last night was this setting, and the effect was obvious, so I'm sure this is what happened. When I get my ant+ Thursday I'll try to test this again.

Now I still have to make the power by pressing harder on the pedals or spinning a higher cadence. I can't make more power no matter where I have the setting. I think my highest end of race power is high 600s early 700W. My best sprint figure was 800W. I dont have an explosive sprint, I build power and hold it for a period rather than peaking for a few seconds.

I was still pushing hard last night, and actively trying to hold form and push the power through the whole revolution. Quads were burning and I had a good workout, so the power wasn't free. I worked for it, but I'm pretty sure there is a bug that exagerated it even more than usual. I've NEVER seen this bug on the BSIM, and only seen it once before on Zwift, hence why I think it's linked to a change in the menu but not closing down Zwift and I think also turning off the turbo to fully reset the change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
You'll get a good workout as long there is enough resistance to raise the heart rate. I remember the time I won my race on Bkool. The first 3 or so miles were a climb then a long descent with lots of little bumps. I managed to get over the crest and began to descend. Every time I hit a bump I would pedal really hard hit 500W or more than settle in 350W whilst descending. I think I averaged nearly 400W. I never hit those figures before or since. My average Watts just before changing back to my Kickr was 350W. Once back on my Kickr I would be pleased to get high 290W for a race. I dropped average place on the Bkool of 4th/5th to 7th/8th on the Kickr all within 2 weeks.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Did he say (or do you know) what his normal power is?

Pretty sure his ftp is 288w.

Changing trainer difficulty has no impact on speed or power.Watts are watts. you just change gear less. I dropped to 60td for a 90km training ride tonight to avoid changing gears. It still hurt! you can change it mid ride. You dont have to come out of zwift and i have never known doing so to affect power/speed.

I am sure what you report is a pro issue and about the way it reports power-inconsistently. I experienced it in the past on zwift. I suspect we all experienced it a bit in bsim. This isnt a bitch about Pro's.Once you get a pm you will have an ideal combination used by many and the issue will likely go away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom