Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joffey

Big Dosser
oops - actually going Great Ayton - well just outside the village on the edge of the moors , wouldnt mind tackling some of the climbs so any help would be appreciated - just about to start googling stuff now :okay:

edited -- rosedale chimney ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

I don't ride that way much but you have lots of great rides on your doorstep. Have a look at Harry Tanfield's Strava - he spent most of lockdown in Great Ayton and was riding every day - he certainly knows the good routes round there.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I managed to get out in the real world today which was a joy. Got Rachel safe and relaxed enough to give me 90 mins out in the countryside :wahhey: Headed out to a little hill I quite like - only had time to climb it twice but it's got some nice kickers over 10% so good for the legs ^_^ The descent is horrible though, road all broken up and loads a large pot holes so not fun.

Only downside was I think I've gained 2kg from all the flying ants I swallowed xx(

I felt really good, could have stayed out there for a few more hours. Loving my new bike :dance: And so glad I took the advice on here and got the Di2, it's suits me perfectly :okay:

JuhaL

Guru
I ordered Shimano Ultegra Di2 R8050 SS rear derailleur today. I have this funny thought that short cage fits better 11-28 cassette than medium GS cage and maybe better adjust to work more accurate. I could be wrong too but i am gonna try that anyway.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Just did a little calc on the steepest segment of climb today (1.26km at average of 8%, 99 metres of ascent and took me 5:44). Alpe D'huez averages 7.9% apparently, for an ascent of 1120 metres and 14km - based on my climbing today, and assuming I could hold this for the full distance, I get up the Alpe in about 65 mins.

My best Zwift time is just below 60 mins and I was pushing really hard for that, but I average just over 60 mins so quite pleased with that. I'm hoping one day I'll get to ride the real climb, but for now I'll have to stick to the virtual version, and local roads :tongue:

For those of you who have ridden the real climb and Zwift how do your times compare?

Edit: also worth noting on Zwift I ride the Alpe on a Tarmac and Lightweight wheels which must save me a few kg compared to real life :laugh:

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I ordered Shimano Ultegra Di2 R8050 SS rear derailleur today. I have this funny thought that short cage fits better 11-28 cassette than medium GS cage and maybe better adjust to work more accurate. I could be wrong too but i am gonna try that anyway.

It’ll prob shift a bit quicker 🤷‍♂️. I have etap medium and long cage and the medium is noticeably quicker to shift. Doesn’t really make any difference though I don’t think. You just notice that you adjust your peddle stroke slightly when shifting.

<Tommy>

Just did a little calc on the steepest segment of climb today (1.26km at average of 8%, 99 metres of ascent and took me 5:44). Alpe D'huez averages 7.9% apparently, for an ascent of 1120 metres and 14km - based on my climbing today, and assuming I could hold this for the full distance, I get up the Alpe in about 65 mins.

My best Zwift time is just below 60 mins and I was pushing really hard for that, but I average just over 60 mins so quite pleased with that. I'm hoping one day I'll get to ride the real climb, but for now I'll have to stick to the virtual version, and local roads :tongue:

For those of you who have ridden the real climb and Zwift how do your times compare?

Edit: also worth noting on Zwift I ride the Alpe on a Tarmac and Lightweight wheels which must save me a few kg compared to real life :laugh:

My best time up the real d’huez was around 65 minutes I think. I can’t find it on my phone. But my power was around 280w, and I probably weighed around 80kg ish.

On zwift my best time is around 47 minutes. 316w, and 77kg

Real life and on zwift I had the tarmac with lightweight wheels :becool:

Both in real life and on zwift, he who shall not be named, sulked his way into beating my times a couple of days later... :headshake:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

My times are
1hr dead Zwift Alpe
1hr30 Real Alpe-was at the end of the day and wasn't racing up just Z2/3

berty bassett

Legendary Member
My best time up the real d’huez was around 65 minutes I think. I can’t find it on my phone. But my power was around 280w, and I probably weighed around 80kg ish.

View attachment 535647

Both in real life and on zwift, he who shall not be named, sulked his way into beating my times a couple of days later... :headshake:
dont forget you lost time fannying around with your coat :rolleyes:

JuhaL

Guru
It’ll prob shift a bit quicker 🤷‍♂️. I have etap medium and long cage and the medium is noticeably quicker to shift. Doesn’t really make any difference though I don’t think. You just notice that you adjust your peddle stroke slightly when shifting.
Most of a time i will adjust my pedalling while i’m shifting but accident happens. Not for sure but i have a thought that i can adjust shorter cage derailleurs jockey wheel closer to cassette and therefore had a better shifting.

JuhaL

Guru

View attachment 535647

Did you measure heartrate when you did indoor and outride to alpe (as a comparison)?. Which one felt harder and what make the bigger difference those two rides. Was it roughness of a road or weather conditions what make the bigger difference between irl and virtual alpe?.

<Tommy>

Did you measure heartrate when you did indoor and outride to alpe (as a comparison)?. Which one felt harder and what make the bigger difference those two rides. Was it roughness of a road or weather conditions what make the bigger difference between irl and virtual alpe?.

Loads of things really isn’t it. The road up d’uez isn’t bad at all really. Not when we did it anyway. Lots of heavy good vehicles, snow plows etc use it so it’s not perfect tarmac. But it gets recovered a lot so it’s not dreadful. People say the climb can be spoilt a bit by the amount of traffic but we were lucky doing it mid September the roads were pretty quiet.

But on the turbo you don’t have to worry about anything do you. And you can just fall off the bike afterwards or even stop halfway up if you‘ve had enough. you can just blast up the first half and see what happens. On real climbs you have to try and be a bit more respectful 😄

I didn’t have a hrm on either attempt but I think it was probably higher doing it on zwift.

I found the photo of when I set my best time (lee’s second best time)

Looks like I was doing zone 2 as well andy. Looks like lee was more like zone 0! ^_^

berty bassett

Legendary Member
You can’t go mad going up real thing as you can’t just hop off and jump in shower - you have to get where you are going without collapsing
Wind would be a bitch and it was nice to tuck behind shelter where you could even though it wasn’t a bad day

Norry1

Legendary Member
On the real ascent, you will be carrying water bottles, energy bars, tools, rain jacket etc which all add weight. You also may have another 40 miles (say) afterwards to ride. Altitude may play a minor part although it isn't that high.

The descent is fun :smile: although I normally go across and descend the Sarenne.

Top Bottom