Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
On the real ascent, you will be carrying water bottles, energy bars, tools, rain jacket etc which all add weight. You also may have another 40 miles (say) afterwards to ride. Altitude may play a minor part although it isn't that high.

The descent is fun :smile: although I normally go across and descend the Sarenne.
I don't think that weight isn't a main issue, you can always add extra weight to Zwift to have more realism if you like. You can always add bikes weight too....unless if Zwift do that automatically already.

kipster

Guru
According to zpower, I'm now cat c after the mountain climb on the Etape. Guess I should be happy as its probably also due to being lighter. Might even try a C race....

How horrid is the Alpe to descend in real life?
The Alpe descent is great fun, but that depends on you're attitude to descents. I love them and am a bit gung go, but if you're more cautious it's a long way and you're hands and shoulders could be aching by the time you reach the bottom.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Just did a little calc on the steepest segment of climb today (1.26km at average of 8%, 99 metres of ascent and took me 5:44). Alpe D'huez averages 7.9% apparently, for an ascent of 1120 metres and 14km - based on my climbing today, and assuming I could hold this for the full distance, I get up the Alpe in about 65 mins.

My best Zwift time is just below 60 mins and I was pushing really hard for that, but I average just over 60 mins so quite pleased with that. I'm hoping one day I'll get to ride the real climb, but for now I'll have to stick to the virtual version, and local roads :tongue:

For those of you who have ridden the real climb and Zwift how do your times compare?

Edit: also worth noting on Zwift I ride the Alpe on a Tarmac and Lightweight wheels which must save me a few kg compared to real life :laugh:

Does a Bkool to Zwift comparison count? 😂

Ive never riden Alpe dHuez in real life but if it is anything like Bkool then it’s a piece of Cake.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
How do you catch a cold when you are socially distancing? I've managed, just in time to probably keep me out of the race tonight and test my new Zwift set-up in the garage. Photos to follow!
Very good question Joffey. I hadnt been feeling great towards the end of last week and my head was full of cold. I’ve turned the corner now after a couple of rest days. Looking forward to pics of the pain cave setup.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Reminder for tomorrow. Just 8 signed up so far...

Tuesdays CycleChat Race

Here are all the details for our ‘private’ cycle chat race. This race will be all start together on standard road bikes.
🧿Sign on at - https://www.zwift.com/events/view/948635
🧿Race Type: Standard road race. All start together after set time dealt First to the line wins. Results in Zwiftpower.
🧿Everyone should enter the B pen (per the race organisers rules so no fear of being called a sandbagger)
🧿We all wait for 5 minutes until me or Tommy give the go for a neutralised roll out for 1.6km or 1 mile.
🧿Event starts 6:30pm so we will be off at 6:35pm after the 5 minute wait.
🧿Tommy or me will give the “race go” message after the roll out distance.
🧿Gentleman’s rule should be no immediate attacks - to prevent me or tommy having an advantage or catching someone off guard.
🧿Anyone who misses the start can try and catch up but the group won’t wait.
🧿Any false starts and the rider can wait provided they are within sight of the start pen.
🧿Blatant cheating will be given the traditional CycleChat treatment!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Tuesdays CycleChat Race

Here are all the details for our ‘private’ cycle chat race. This race will be all start together on standard road bikes.
🧿Race Type: Standard road race. All start together after set time dealt First to the line wins. Results in Zwiftpower.
🧿Everyone should enter the B pen (per the race organisers rules so no fear of being called a sandbagger)
🧿We all wait for 5 minutes until me or Tommy give the go for a neutralised roll out for 1.6km or 1 mile.
🧿Gentleman’s rule should be no immediate attacks - to prevent me or tommy having an advantage or catching someone off guard.
🧿Any false starts and the rider can wait provided they are within sight of the start pen.
Hoping I can make this - I have to go to a funeral tomorrow unfortunately and its not local, so its obviously dependent on me getting back in time, which I really don't know if I will yet. Sounds good though - thanks for organising guys

steverob

Guru

Tuesdays CycleChat Race

I knew I was going to be called in to the office at least one day this week and was hoping it wasn't going to be Tuesday, but having read my work e-mails this morning, it's not looking good for me doing this ride...

Hopefully I can persuade one of my colleagues to swap with me and I can do Wednesday or Thursday instead, but I'd say it was maybe a 30% chance of me taking part right now.

peterob

Veteran

Tuesdays CycleChat Race

Thanks for organising chaps. Is it one or two laps do you know? ZwiftPower is showing 1 lap but Zwift.com is showing B group as 2 laps.

Don't know if I fancy racing 46 odd km and twice up the corkscrew :laugh:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Thanks for organising chaps. Is it one or two laps do you know? ZwiftPower is showing 1 lap but Zwift.com is showing B group as 2 laps.

Don't know if I fancy racing 46 odd km and twice up the corkscrew :laugh:
Companion app says 2 laps - 46.2km for B pen (and 3 laps/69.1km for A)

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
According to zpower, I'm now cat c after the mountain climb on the Etape. Guess I should be happy as its probably also due to being lighter. Might even try a C race....

How horrid is the Alpe to descend in real life?
I hate descending so I can't even imagine that ... I descended my 1.26 km hill yesterday and it was horrible ... can't contemplate that another 11 times on the bounce :eek:

Whorty

You can’t go mad going up real thing as you can’t just hop off and jump in shower - you have to get where you are going without collapsing
Wind would be a bitch and it was nice to tuck behind shelter where you could even though it wasn’t a bad day
I always feel like I'm in a headwind around here, irrespective of which direction I'm riding :wacko:

Fully agree, out on the road you always have to leave enough in the tank to get home safely, whilst on a turbo the aim is almost always to empty the tank then get off!

Whorty

On the real ascent, you will be carrying water bottles, energy bars, tools, rain jacket etc which all add weight. You also may have another 40 miles (say) afterwards to ride. Altitude may play a minor part although it isn't that high.

The descent is fun :smile: although I normally go across and descend the Sarenne.
Read an anecdote recently where as 2 guys were reaching the base of a climb, the one turned to the other and said "I'm drinking all my water now as I don't want to carry the extra weight of the water up the mountain. That will save me a kg" :laugh:

I had a full 1 litre bottle and half full yesterday when I was going up the hills .... that was an extra kg compared to Zwift.

Top Bottom