Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Del C

Veteran
Just did a little calc on the steepest segment of climb today (1.26km at average of 8%, 99 metres of ascent and took me 5:44). Alpe D'huez averages 7.9% apparently, for an ascent of 1120 metres and 14km - based on my climbing today, and assuming I could hold this for the full distance, I get up the Alpe in about 65 mins.

My best Zwift time is just below 60 mins and I was pushing really hard for that, but I average just over 60 mins so quite pleased with that. I'm hoping one day I'll get to ride the real climb, but for now I'll have to stick to the virtual version, and local roads :tongue:

For those of you who have ridden the real climb and Zwift how do your times compare?

Edit: also worth noting on Zwift I ride the Alpe on a Tarmac and Lightweight wheels which must save me a few kg compared to real life :laugh:
Just checked my Strava time for the Alpe. There's loads of segments but I think my time IRL is about 1h20m and my Zwift time is 1h04m.

As others have said, the main factors are the weather (it was really hot on the day we did it), carrying extra weight such as bottles and you tend to hold a little more back IRL as you can't just bail out and walk indoors.

I see @Norry1 said he descends the Sarenne! He's crazy!! I came up the Sarenne and it's a killer, very narrow, steep and a poor road surface as it nears the top. Although, maybe that makes me more crazy?

Here I am arriving at the top in 2015 in my Alpe d'Huez kit. One has to arrive appropriately dressed! :laugh:

SV5D1734.jpeg

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
2 laps?!! 😬

It’s almost like someone didn’t read the small print...:reading:
Oops ... I'm signed up but I don't think I'll be able to do long ride so late in the day so may be crying off. Sorry to anyone who was hoping to draft behind my wheel tomorrow :laugh:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Finally finished my pain cave! I treated myself to a Tacx Flux in December for Zwift and got involved with you lovely lot. Since then and up until last week my set up was this:

A very cluttered garage with a bike stand fashioned into a computer table and an old office fan. Having not been sure I'd stick at it I didn't want to put too much effort into it but this weekend I finally decided to sort the garage out...

You could see this window and work bench in the first pic. A few tip runs and now I have a dedicated Zwift area, large fan (thanks to @Ketty) and a 37" TV to display Zwift on. I was using an iPad for Zwift but have switched to Apple TV - not sure if it will be better or worse. We'll see.

There is a little table that slots into the vice so that I can use a MacBook whilst riding - handy to check on Zwift Power or to use for Zwift if watching Netflix on the big TV.

The bike also rocks back on the trainer to give more space bike repairs at the work bench, or for just putting your shoes on.

Hope you all like it! I'm every pleased with it - just a shame I'm full of cold and might miss tonights race. Good job it's best 6 from 9.

Del C

Veteran
I hate descending so I can't even imagine that ... I descended my 1.26 km hill yesterday and it was horrible ... can't contemplate that another 11 times on the bounce :eek:
Some people descend naturally and others have to learn.

A friend of mine I've often ridden with in the mountains, is in the first group, and I was firmly in the second. On our first trip to the Pyrenees, his approach was to follow the fastest descender in the group on the basis if he could do it so could he. My approach was to grip the saddle as tightly as I could with my arse and forge a very close, unhealthy relationship with my brake levers. I don't know how to describe my technique on hairpins!

My first 2 descents were down the Portet d'Aspet, with its unusually steep (for a French Col) 17% section and the Casartelli memorial (he died in a crash on the descent). That was an interesting start for somebody with so little natural descending technique. Having recovered from that, we then climbed the Col de Mente. 2 things stand out from that. Firstly, at the top we saw 2 German cycle tourists coming up from the other side, with heavily laden panniers, dressed only in Speedos! That sight is etched upon my mind! Secondly, someone said the descent is like Hairpin City. "Oh s*it" I thought.

There followed the most ridiculous descent in the history of road cycling. The more I approached each hairpin the more I gripped the brakes, and pairing that with a total inability to lean the bike, I came to a series of stops at each corner. At one time I started laughing and thought that I'd be up there all night!

Gradually, I got off the hairpin section and rode pathetically down the rest of the mountain unit l met my friend and the rest of the group. I can't remember how I explained myself. I think they thought I'd got lost somewhere!

In the end, I had to listen to others and learn what I had to do. The basic rules are stay low on the bike, hands in the drops so you can cover the brakes if needed, arse towards the back of the saddle, relax and stay loose, lean the bike beneath you (that's how you do hairpins) look well down the road to where you want to go (never look close as you'l brake and tighten up) and never, ever look where you don't want to go (eg over the side of the mountain or into a wall) because where you look is exactly where you will go.

I'll never ever be as quick as my friend down a mountain, but I'm quite close to him now, and while I'll never be a natural, I do enjoy descending now. So, if I can do it, you can do it too!

One last thing that helped me was I used to sing to myself in a self-deprecating way as I descended, which I found helped me to concentrate while reminding me of my limitations. You may remember the Freddie Mercury song that goes "Oh yes. I'm the great pretender"? I modified this to "Oh yes. I'm a crap descender". This got me all the way through the Raid Pyreneen, including descents of the Peyresourde, Tourmalet and the Aspin without an incident.

So, get out and practice and get yourself a song! :biggrin:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Finally finished my pain cave! I treated myself to a Tacx Flux in December for Zwift and got involved with you lovely lot. Since then and up until last week my set up was this:

View attachment 535732

A very cluttered garage with a bike stand fashioned into a computer table and an old office fan. Having not been sure I'd stick at it I didn't want to put too much effort into it but this weekend I finally decided to sort the garage out...

View attachment 535733

You could see this window and work bench in the first pic. A few tip runs and now I have a dedicated Zwift area, large fan (thanks to @Ketty) and a 37" TV to display Zwift on. I was using an iPad for Zwift but have switched to Apple TV - not sure if it will be better or worse. We'll see.

View attachment 535736

There is a little table that slots into the vice so that I can use a MacBook whilst riding - handy to check on Zwift Power or to use for Zwift if watching Netflix on the big TV.

View attachment 535738

The bike also rocks back on the trainer to give more space bike repairs at the work bench, or for just putting your shoes on.

Hope you all like it! I'm every pleased with it - just a shame I'm full of cold and might miss tonights race. Good job it's best 6 from 9.
Very good. I always have a look round peoples pain cave photos for something embarrassing
left out on display, but I think you’re either wise to that or else just had a very good tidy up 😂

bridgy

Legendary Member

View attachment 535732

View attachment 535733

View attachment 535736

View attachment 535738

I like it @Joffey - a big improvement :okay:. I changed over to ATV a couple of months ago and really like it - much neater and I love how quickly it starts up

Joffey

Big Dosser
I like it @Joffey - a big improvement :okay:. I changed over to ATV a couple of months ago and really like it - much neater and I love how quickly it starts up

I'll just have to learn how to operate with the remote, it's a bit sensitive when selecting routes. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I should really take a picture of my pain cave before the missus turns it into a music room / guest bedroom / whatever else she has pencilled in... agreeing to let her put her treadmill in there was a big mistake... first new carpet, now new blinds... Next talk of a complete repaint.... bollocks...

<Tommy>

Just checked my Strava time for the Alpe. There's loads of segments but I think my time IRL is about 1h20m and my Zwift time is 1h04m.

As others have said, the main factors are the weather (it was really hot on the day we did it), carrying extra weight such as bottles and you tend to hold a little more back IRL as you can't just bail out and walk indoors.

I see @Norry1 said he descends the Sarenne! He's crazy!! I came up the Sarenne and it's a killer, very narrow, steep and a poor road surface as it nears the top. Although, maybe that makes me more crazy?

Here I am arriving at the top in 2015 in my Alpe d'Huez kit. One has to arrive appropriately dressed! :laugh:

View attachment 535721

Is that Del C or Marco Pantani coming over the hill?!! :bicycle:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'll just have to learn how to operate with the remote, it's a bit sensitive when selecting routes. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it!
Yeah the remote does take a bit of getting used to - its not ideal. Top tip - pressing "menu" works like a "back" button too, so if you've gone into a menu or something and want to go back to your ride, just keep pressing "menu" to go back rather than scrolling to select particular buttons - saves a bit of time (and cursing!)

<Tommy>

There’s a trick to making the movements a bit more controlled too. If you take your thumbs of the remote after attempting to make a selection it’ll keep scrolling on a bit. But if you keep your thumb pressed on the control after making your movement it stays on the selected icon rather than continuing to scroll.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Atv is brilliant especially when you change from an old laptop
The remote has had a serious bollocking on more than one occasion for doing what it wants but like Paul says , menu is your friend
One thing that is annoying and maybe others can help me - I have Spotify on through atv but if I use a power up by pressing the play button , it stops the music ! - is there something I am missing ? - should I be using phone companion ?

Top Bottom