Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Got the power meter installed and tested tonight. Thanks for the heads up about the hollow tech tool @Alongo - picked one up this morning, got it fitted at lunchtime then did a test ride this evening.

A few observations:
  • You can’t have some sensors connected directly and some through companion app, it’s one or the other. I was hoping to have trainer and PM connected directly to ATV then HRM via companion but I will need to pair all via companion (unless I switch to 4iiii HRM)
  • There is no noticeable lag or difference in performance when sensors are paired via companion app compared with direct pairing
  • Sensors stay paired when the app is in the background and when the device (iphone)
My test ride was only 15 minutes (no motivation or time for the Alpe - new sofa arriving tomorrow moving furniture around!)

Pleasantly surprised with initial feel and power numbers. I did the start of Watopia’s hilly route and was able to climb at 5.0-5.5w/kg spiking to 6.5 out of the saddle. Still planning to do “my” FTP test up the Alpe, but that will probably be Thursday now.
That's great news Nick :notworthy: Time to set a PB up the Alpe :okay:

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Specialized are a monster of a brand aren’t they. They clearly put a ton of money into promotion. But I think they put loads into the design too.

My comment was just that the presentation looked exactly the same way as most recent Apple presentations, even down to the “just one more thing”. :smile:

I know nothing about Specialized as a brand or whether they are better than the Canyons, the Cannondales, Treks or any other major brands. :smile: Heck I didn’t even know KTM made road bikes and my employer is a KTM supplier. :laugh: But that is for their offroad (motor) bikes.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
My comment was just that the presentaktion looked exactly the same way as most recent Apple presentations, even down to the “just one more thing”. :smile:

I know nothing about Specialized as a brand or whether they are better than the Canyons, the Cannondales, Treks or any other major brands. :smile: Heck I didn’t even know KTM made road bikes and my employer is a KTM supplier. :laugh: But that is for their offroad (motor) bikes.

Yeah they clearly spend a fortune on marketing! It’s hard for me to compare to those brands too as I haven’t owned the equivalent frame of those brands. I think they must all be pretty close together though in terms of aero, weight, and all that.

Just as a side point because you mentioned trek. They are quite a good example of the power of marketing too. The Lance Armstrong effect turning them from a relatively modest manufacturer into one selling millions of bikes off the back of his endorsement.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Yeah they clearly spend a fortune on marketing! It’s hard for me to compare to those brands too as I haven’t owned the equivalent frame of those brands. I think they must all be pretty close together though in terms of aero, weight, and all that.

Just as a side point because you mentioned trek. They are quite a good example of the power of marketing too. The Lance Armstrong effect turning them from a relatively modest manufacturer into one selling millions of bikes off the back of his endorsement.

I have Trek, Cannondale, Giant and Cube across my road/MTB bikes, so not very brand “loyal”. :smile:

I think the Armstrong effect has somehow vanished these days. :laugh:

Last edited:

<Tommy>

I have Trek, Cannondale, Giant and Cube across my road/MTB bikes, so not very brand “loyal”. :smile:

I think the Armstrong effect has somehow vanished these days. :laugh:

Don’t know. He definitely has a different effect on people now. But he has a chain of bike shops and a popular podcast which is heavily sponsored. I don’t suppose any big manufacturer would go near him anytime soon. But he’s doing a pretty good job of re branding himself considering everything.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Don’t know. He definitely has a different effect on people now. But he has a chain of bike shops and a popular podcast which is heavily sponsored. I don’t suppose any big manufacturer would go near him anytime soon. But he’s doing a pretty good job of re branding himself considering everything.

I suspect you have seen the 3 hour+ ESPN documentary on his career/person? I don’t think that puts his person or merits in a very good light. He cheated like so many others at the time, but the way he treated people around him before and after he/they got caught was awful to hear.

<Tommy>

I suspect you have seen the 3 hour+ ESPN documentary on his career/person? I don’t think that puts his person or merits in a very good light. He cheated like so many others at the time, but the way he treated people around him before and after he/they got caught was awful to hear.

I haven’t seen that latest documentary. I feel like I’ve heard it all before to be honest. I’ve seen loads of Armstrong documentaries in the past and from what I gather it’s just more of him trying to justify his actions without ultimately taking responsibility.

He’s very clever in lots of ways. Street smart. Strong survival instincts.

<Tommy>

Lance is a bully, no doubt about that in my mind. But that doesn't really seem to go against you in the US, does it?!:wacko:

Nor most other places unfortunately.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Great attack. Got clear and splintered the chasing group
It's when the first 2 guys went ahead and I followed them, thinking I was just marking them ..... then I went over the top of them and their power dropped. For a second I was considering just dropping back too and riding with the group, but then kept the power on to see what happened :laugh: Interesting that of the 4 chasers 2 were B's - had they not been there maybe the chasers wouldn't have been so close - not sure. Was enjoyable though if ultimately pointless :tongue:

Top Bottom