Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Gplama does a sterzo smart test :becool:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Elite have an exclusivity agreement (with zwift at least) until April. There are other competitors ready to go (jetblack) so I'm sure there will be loads eventually.

In that case I'll probably get one at some point, rip it to bits so I can use a thumb steerer. I don't think it will work as well on a rocker board, because it will upset the centre of balance I've got.

Some game controller like this might work

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vastar-Replacement-Controller-Screwdrivers-Thumbstick/dp/B07TPLZHBB

View: https://www.amazon.com/BRHE-Original-Joystick-Replacement-Controller/dp/B07RJ2PSCB

Get a 2 pack version so can have two points for adjusting steering one on the hoods the other in sprint drop position.

Lets get ready to Fettle! :biggrin:

Last edited:

mjd1988

Guru
In that case I'll probably get one at some point, rip it to bits so I can use a thumb steerer. I don't think it will work as well on a rocker board, because it will upset the centre of balance I've got.

Some game controller like this might work

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vastar-Replacement-Controller-Screwdrivers-Thumbstick/dp/B07TPLZHBB

View: https://www.amazon.com/BRHE-Original-Joystick-Replacement-Controller/dp/B07RJ2PSCB

Get a 2 pack version so can have two points for adjusting steering one on the hoods the other in sprint drop position.

Lets get ready to Fettle! :biggrin:

If you succeed you might get some orders from smart bike owners that aren't compatible (doubt first gen atom has steering buttons?)

Apparently you can go to France from the world hack now as well btw. Might try and get on, works been a bit mad so haven't been on the bike except for that 30 min TT monday

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
If you succeed you might get some orders from smart bike owners that aren't compatible (doubt first gen atom has steering buttons?)

Apparently you can go to France from the world hack now as well btw. Might try and get on, works been a bit mad so haven't been on the bike except for that 30 min TT monday
Works a treat - France = World No. 10 :okay:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

First Gen atom does have steerer buttons. I think all the smart bikes do but I might be wrong.

What I’m not sure of. And this kind of regards andy’s thinking too. Is whether buttons will work as well as a proper steering mechanism. For example what do you do, hold on to the button longer depending on how big an angle you want to turn at? Won’t that make turning by holding the button slower? I just have a feeling it’ll be easier to control via the elite system than via a turbo bike.

I dare say they’ll try hard to get it as good as possible because there’s a lot of investment in the bikes. But I’m not sure...

mjd1988

Guru
First Gen atom does have steerer buttons. I think all the smart bikes do but I might be wrong.

What I’m not sure of. And this kind of regards andy’s thinking too. Is whether buttons will work as well as a proper steering mechanism. For example what do you do, hold on to the button longer depending on how big an angle you want to turn at? Won’t that make turning by holding the button slower? I just have a feeling it’ll be easier to control via the elite system than via a turbo bike.

I dare say they’ll try hard to get it as good as possible because there’s a lot of investment in the bikes. But I’m not sure...

Shows how long awaited this feature is then, does any other app have steering already (I think cvrcade had talked about it)

bobinski

Legendary Member
Watching the gp lama vid am I wrong in thinking the angle and extent of turn are fixed? They have to be to keep you on the road. So you can go inside/outside of someone and turn back again to get past/block and also cut left or right to take the fastest line ? As some suggest the buttons on any of the smart bikes should be able to do this easily. I wonder if those with Di2 or etap could be allowed access to the companion app over WiFi or bt to use tbe extra buttons to change direction in much same way can be used to scroll through garmin and wahoo screens.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Looking at GP Lama video, its more like selecting (parallel) tracks not active steering per se. You turn until you hit your selected track and then stop turning you remain in that track until you turn again. I think to have real time steering too would be overload in controls.

Riding on the road, there are quite a number of elements which are totally autonomous. Like driving, a lot of actions are second nature and require little attention to perform the action.

Will see how the feature develops in time, but I like this 'track' selection feature.

<Tommy>

Watching the gp lama vid am I wrong in thinking the angle and extent of turn are fixed? They have to be to keep you on the road. So you can go inside/outside of someone and turn back again to get past/block and also cut left or right to take the fastest line ? As some suggest the buttons on any of the smart bikes should be able to do this easily. I wonder if those with Di2 or etap could be allowed access to the companion app over WiFi or bt to use tbe extra buttons to change direction in much same way can be used to scroll through garmin and wahoo screens.

I hope that’s correct. It would certainly make it a lot easier to roll out for smart bikes. Makes you wonder why they haven’t already...

<Tommy>

Shows how long awaited this feature is then, does any other app have steering already (I think cvrcade had talked about it)

yeah I think dcrainmaker said in the original atom review they had included the buttons on the premise zwift were going to implement steering. that was at least 2 years ago

mjd1988

Guru
It does look very like the veloton app steering (and zwift invested in virtupro which was the semi smart bike compatible with that app). Wonder if they've moved that hardware along at all.

Any update on the stages bike @Brendan Parker ?

Also, first pootle around the France world today - very nice and simple lush scenery with the odd wee flourish. Big fan so far.

Top Bottom