Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Had another race yesterday. It was a British Masters race which would normally be a road race, but due to government restrictions, it had to be run in TT format. Thoroughly enjoyed it, finishing mid-pack so plenty of improvement required. Blog report here https://norryscyclingstuff.weebly.com/blog with a couple more pics. (Big thanks to Cheryl Owens for the Action Shots)

1597045107333.png

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
To bump it up for anyone one interested. I filled in the online consultation listed in the above link. It takes 10 mins max to read through and answer all the amendments proposed, all of which are sensible, giving a lot more protection for pedestrians, cyclists and horsey folk.

eg vehicles should not cut across a cyclists when turning left, cyclists have priority on roundabouts and ride centrally more unless its a busy carriageway. Overtaking vehicles should have minimum of 1.5 metres passing at slow speeds and 2 metres for higher speeds. Lorries minimum 2 metre passing.

There are some things cyclists must do too given as there will be a heirarchy of responsibility with pedestrians being more vulnerable. So cyclists probably will have to give way on side streets and junctions- dont disagree personally with that.

Andy
I have completed this Andy. Added a few extra comments too. Mostly common sense, although once some drivers get behind the steering wheel common sense seems to vanish! Be interesting how this is implemented in practice and how the 'hierarchy' really plays out when there is an accident or if it's just words.

Whorty

Did you see that video a few years back? Teenagers were given an old dial phone to use and asked to make a phone call. It was amusing to see :laugh:
No - not seen that - must look it up :okay:

Edit- just watched that. Isn't it funny how everything is 'simple' once you know what to do?

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
It’s the reverse with me to be fair. Pretty much anything to do with modern tech and my eldest daughter runs rings around me
My nieces and nephew look at me weirdly when I say I don't understand tech. I build PC's for the family so I'm not a luddite (most of the time)

Most of my confusions come with social platforms and software. I don't have a facebook account, I rarely watch or read news unless something gets posted on forums I frequent. All of the other look at me platforms have no attraction to me.

I live up to my avatar :laugh:

Whorty

My nieces and nephew look at me weirdly when I say I don't understand tech. I build PC's for the family so I'm not a luddite (most of the time)
I'm more of an applications guy at work and have teams that build the hardware for me. Back in the day I'd build PCs (I'm talking the 286, 386, 486, Pentiums :laugh:) but with the world of virtualisation I let the clever young guys do their stuff. I know enough to be able to spot if they're trying to pull a fast one (usually a vendor!) but not enough knowledge to do it myself. The world certainly has moved on since my first job in IT !

bridgy

Legendary Member
I've signed up for the Team IRL race tonight - the new French course again, same as last week's TTT so I wonder if I'll have any more time/energy to look around a bit this time (probably not!)

Also I think I've finally worked out how to switch teams for an event on ZP so I should be riding officially for Team Cyclechat if that has worked!

Whorty

I've signed up for the Team IRL race tonight - the new French course again, same as last week's TTT so I wonder if I'll have any more time/energy to look around a bit this time (probably not!)

Also I think I've finally worked out how to switch teams for an event on ZP so I should be riding officially for Team Cyclechat if that has worked!
Yep - looks like you're signed up as CC :okay:

A good turnout tonight in B Cat. Once @IrishAl goes across there will be 6 Ccers in B out of 12 currently signed up on ZP. On a flat course like this with just the short fast KoM could be a win tonight :hyper:

Only 3 of us in C cat. The strong Irish guys are there in force so I'm going to have to surf their wheels and see if I can nick a few points off them :laugh:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Yep - looks like you're signed up as CC :okay:

A good turnout tonight in B Cat. Once @IrishAl goes across there will be 6 Ccers in B out of 12 currently signed up on ZP. On a flat course like this with just the short fast KoM could be a win tonight :hyper:

Only 3 of us in C cat. The strong Irish guys are there in force so I'm going to have to surf their wheels and see if I can nick a few points off them :laugh:
I'm totally not up to speed with the format of these races - are there intermediate sprint points that people will be going for?

BurningLegs

Veteran
I'm totally not up to speed with the format of these races - are there intermediate sprint points that people will be going for?
Usually, yes. Tonight there is some confusion though because apparently Zwift haven’t set the course up properly for primes yet. I don’t think we have anything certain on it from IRL?

Whorty

Normally yes. The official 'primes' (so sprints and KoMs) get you extra points so you could feasibly take the sprints and KoMs then roll in 10th and still position 1st. Zwift haven't quite sorted out France yet so whilst we will ride through 2 sprints and 1 KoM tonight only the KoM will gain points (that is unless Zwift fix France before the race tonight but that's not likely).

I think they are giving double points on the KoM tonight and triple for the Sprint Finish.

These are the points for tonight ...

Primes (first across the line)
Double points Aqueduc KOM Reverse

Treble points Finish

1 point for all finishers

1597054483833.png

Last edited:

Whorty

Usually, yes. Tonight there is some confusion though because apparently Zwift haven’t set the course up properly for primes yet. I don’t think we have anything certain on it from IRL?
The official line currently is only the KoM prime is counting (Zwift haven't sorted the sprints out yet). Could be easy pickings for you :tongue: I'm hoping to grab a few points but there are some strong C guys so will be a challenge - I'm hoping the KoM in C splits the group and I can get in the break away.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Once @IrishAl goes across there will be 6 Ccers in B out of 12

I guess I should really sign up for the B race. I’ve had a few IRL C riders giving out (in a friendly manner) already. I just say I’m looking for an easy recovery day which seems the usual sandbaggers excuse.

So are we having tactics tonight in B or do we preempt the Mike Tyson quote and just see how it pans out?

bridgy

Legendary Member
I guess I should really sign up for the B race. I’ve had a few IRL C riders giving out (in a friendly manner) already. I just say I’m looking for an easy recovery day which seems the usual sandbaggers excuse.

So are we having tactics tonight in B or do we preempt the Mike Tyson quote and just see how it pans out?
I'm happy to try and do a job for the team or for someone who's in contention for a series win or whatever. Having said that, planning to do something in advance, and actually managing to do it in the race itself is often a very different matter!

I would make a suggestion or two but we may be being monitored 🤫 :ph34r:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I was kind of contemplating racing tonight. But it’s going to be 30 degrees down here at 7pm so... I’m leaning towards and giant HELL NO! at the moment...

That course makes it look pretty straight forward though doesn’t it? I’ll be very surprised if there isn’t still a big group together at the bottom of the kom. Then a bit of carnage to finish off with!

Top Bottom