Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I’ve been a bit unhappy with my shoes/cleats pedals recently but not sure where my problem lies.

I’ve got Shimano MTB pedals, cleats, and shoes. I get what feels like quite a lot of swing on my heel and up/down movement before the clear disengages. This is what’s known as float, right?

The pedals are on their tightest setting, the cleats obviously aren’t adjustable but are tight on the shoe. I’m using SH-56 multi-release cleats and do have a set of SH-51 available.

Does anyone here have first hand experience of both and can confirm if swapping them is likely to help? I almost did it tonight but decided not to because my next ride is the TTT on Tuesday and became worried about the possibility of damaging the shoe or something!😂

So I’m thinking of buying new shoes then fitting the SH-51 cleats to them, but if this is just the way it is with Shimano MTB pedals then it won’t help a jot and might feel like a waste of money...

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’ve been a bit unhappy with my shoes/cleats pedals recently but not sure where my problem lies.

I’ve got Shimano MTB pedals, cleats, and shoes. I get what feels like quite a lot of swing on my heel and up/down movement before the clear disengages. This is what’s known as float, right?

The pedals are on their tightest setting, the cleats obviously aren’t adjustable but are tight on the shoe. I’m using SH-56 multi-release cleats and do have a set of SH-51 available.

Does anyone here have first hand experience of both and can confirm if swapping them is likely to help? I almost did it tonight but decided not to because my next ride is the TTT on Tuesday and became worried about the possibility of damaging the shoe or something!😂

So I’m thinking of buying new shoes then fitting the SH-51 cleats to them, but if this is just the way it is with Shimano MTB pedals then it won’t help a jot and might feel like a waste of money...

It sounds like your cleats are worn out. Have you noticed it’s got worse? Is the one you use to un clip at traffic lights looser than the other? How cack handed are you on a scale of 1 to 10? I only ask because it’d take quite a high level to bust the shoes by over tightening the bolts. You can just tighten them until you can’t physically move the clear with your fingers. Then another half turn maybe. Then test them on the peddles. If the cleat turns while your trying to disengage them then just tighten them a bit more at a time until it stops happening.

Even if it isn’t that, that’s the first place I’d start.

Last edited:

I've switched to crank brothers pedals and cleats with 0 degree float and it has corrected a problem I had with my heel hitting my chain stay.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/blogs/news/cleats-customize-your-float-release-angle

BurningLegs

Veteran
Thanks guys, think I will swap the cleats over on Wednesday and see what difference it makes.

If I see a good deal on a set of shoes I might just get them anyway :tongue:

@Randyberlin - I’d be a little worried about going for something too restrictive in case it results in injury? I assume the crank brothers stuff is adjustable?

bobinski

Legendary Member
BL, my recollection , going back a few years, is that there is quite a bit of difference between the 2 and the multi release for me just felt wrong, as if on Ice. I am sure the feeling got worse over time. Supposed to be better for knees though...ok, I won’t go there😁

mjd1988

Guru
Because I use a vintage bike for the turbo and can't find cleats that fit it (/haven't looked at all) I just cycle in my trainers in the turbo. Wonder how many watts I'm missing there

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Despite old Bazza getting DQ'd he's in the pen for tomorrow :laugh:
Maybe someone from the organisers need to contact his team manager and if he doesn't leave then the team's link is revoked and the team are kicked out. I think that really is the only way to deal with this.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
Because I use a vintage bike for the turbo and can't find cleats that fit it (/haven't looked at all) I just cycle in my trainers in the turbo. Wonder how many watts I'm missing there
Yeah, on my Wattbike I have flat pedals with toe cages and so just use (admittedly fairly hard-soled) trainers while riding indoors. SPD's are only on my road bike.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Yeah, on my Wattbike I have flat pedals with toe cages and so just use (admittedly fairly hard-soled) trainers while riding indoors. SPD's are only on my road bike.

Can't you just swap pedals? When I've used Wattbikes at the gym etc. I take my pedals with me.

steverob

Guru
Can't you just swap pedals? When I've used Wattbikes at the gym etc. I take my pedals with me.
To be honest, I'm actually fine with using cages - heck, I was still using them on my road bike until about 3 years ago.

Plus to me, the joy of the Wattbike is that I can just leap on it without having to do tons of set up first, so I even keep the trainers I use right next to the bike, that way I can be on and riding within minutes (and most of that is just waiting for Zwift to load).

Norry1

Legendary Member
To be honest, I'm actually fine with using cages - heck, I was still using them on my road bike until about 3 years ago.

Plus to me, the joy of the Wattbike is that I can just leap on it without having to do tons of set up first, so I even keep the trainers I use right next to the bike, that way I can be on and riding within minutes (and most of that is just waiting for Zwift to load).

Fair enough. If it were me, I'd want to leave a set of SPDs on the Wattbike. ......... but it isn't me :smile:

BurningLegs

Veteran

Ah but if you had clip in pedals then you could just leave the shoes on the bike and just slide your feet in :laugh:

Top Bottom