Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
But in all honestly, for a sprint, TNT by AC/DC will do it. If you time it so that the chorus kicks in as you start your effort: 2500W guaranteed ;):laugh:

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Looks like karma struck me down for poking @Legs. 999W peak for me today :laugh:

Call the Police :eek:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Hi guys. Hopefully you remember who I am!

Firstly thanks and apologies to those who have commented/messaged on various platforms which I haven't replied to.

For a long time, I've struggled a bit with tightness in various parts of my right leg which I always put down to my heavy training load and insufficient stretching. This got worse just before and during my trip to Calpe and I went to a physio when I got back (once my Covid had gone). Several weeks of physio-work didn't help so I went for an X-Ray.

This showed that I had moderate/severe arthritis in my right hip which explained it. I've just been to a consultant today and as expected his recommendation is either to manage the symptoms and lower my expectations of what I will be able to do OR have a hip replacement. I've chosen the hip replacement (not cheap!) and have a surgery slot booked for 18th Aug.

The consultant is an avid cyclist and has advised me to do whatever cycling I can do, at whatever level, whilst awaiting the surgery. He's also pioneering an App for people about to have hip replacements which guides them through the process and advises on pre-hab abd re-hab training/exercises. He is using me as a guinea pig and I'll be providing feedback to him and the developer.

To be honest, the setback really hit me hard mentally and I avoided things like Cyclechat and Strava.

So 2022 is obviously a complete write-off for me. I'm hoping that my recovery will open up 2023 but we'll have to wait and see.

Back to Zwift this afternoon, so if you see some slow old git wobbling around at 1 w/kg, say Hi and give me a wave ^_^

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Sorry to here that Martin. I would expect you to be back to your best quite quickly. One of our club members has had both hips done and he is as fast has he ever was and back to cycling in quite a short rehab period.

Good luck with your op, keep us posted. You know we will jolly you along with a bit of humour ;) :whistle: :okay:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Hi guys. Hopefully you remember who I am!

Firstly thanks and apologies to those who have commented/messaged on various platforms which I haven't replied to.

For a long time, I've struggled a bit with tightness in various parts of my right leg which I always put down to my heavy training load and insufficient stretching. This got worse just before and during my trip to Calpe and I went to a physio when I got back (once my Covid had gone). Several weeks of physio-work didn't help so I went for an X-Ray.

This showed that I had moderate/severe arthritis in my right hip which explained it. I've just been to a consultant today and as expected his recommendation is either to manage the symptoms and lower my expectations of what I will be able to do OR have a hip replacement. I've chosen the hip replacement (not cheap!) and have a surgery slot booked for 18th Aug.

The consultant is an avid cyclist and has advised me to do whatever cycling I can do, at whatever level, whilst awaiting the surgery. He's also pioneering an App for people about to have hip replacements which guides them through the process and advises on pre-hab abd re-hab training/exercises. He is using me as a guinea pig and I'll be providing feedback to him and the developer.

To be honest, the setback really hit me hard mentally and I avoided things like Cyclechat and Strava.

So 2022 is obviously a complete write-off for me. I'm hoping that my recovery will open up 2023 but we'll have to wait and see.

Back to Zwift this afternoon, so if you see some slow old git wobbling around at 1 w/kg, say Hi and give me a wave ^_^
The app isn't called Skynet is it? We don't need you to become some sort of cycling terminator, Martin - you're good enough as things stand!

But seriously, looking at the last few pages only, there isn't a person here that doesn't know the mental impact of injuries. Hope the procedure goes well and you recover quickly. Tell them to use the lightest possible alloy!;)

Norry1

Legendary Member
The app isn't called Skynet is it? We don't need you to become some sort of cycling terminator, Martin - you're good enough as things stand!

But seriously, looking at the last few pages only, there isn't a person here that doesn't know the mental impact of injuries. Hope the procedure goes well and you recover quickly. Tell them to use the lightest possible alloy!;)

Thanks Peter. I'll get Tommy's advice on the alloy - he is our weight weenie expert.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Martin, sorry to hear that mate but glad it’s not something really serious. Though I can only imagine the personal set back.
There was a woman with 2 replacement knees and a replacement hip staying at our hotel in France. One morning she ran 20km. Later that afternoon she went off on a 65km hilly ride.American, in her 70’s. Bodes well.
Good luck mate and keep us posted. I promise none of us will take the piss 😉😁

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Thanks Peter. I'll get Tommy's advice on the alloy - he is our weight weenie expert.

Maybe next time I tell you nothing good comes from zone 2 training you’ll listen…

All (bad) jokes aside… I can’t help with advice on alloy hips I’m afraid mate. But I hope it goes without saying that we’re all going to help in any other way we can.

I fully intended to try my hardest to sell you the dream of a cycling trip next summer after you missed out on ventoux. And this has just made me more resolute. You’ll be back from this Martin, I have zero doubt about that 👍

Spartak