Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
16CC1E7A-1164-4CFA-BF07-665DC2C38FD1.png
97A18C5F-96CA-4736-A363-2C6E43027EFC.png
Not much point in taking a NEO to bsim.
3s slower despite 70 more watts.

JLaw

Veteran
Two race reports.

Tuesday KISS EUR. Huge blob of riders. Had to be 20+. The usual story. Hung with them most of the race -- hardest part for me was that short 5% climb 6 times. The first 4 weren't too bad. #5 required a significant effort to hang onto the back, then get back into the pack for the final lap. Lost the pack on the final climb and solo'd the last mile or so for a 10th place finish.

Wednesday KISS 10mi TT. A pretty good showing for the TT. Wanted to start off around 280W, then around 290W for the bulk of the race, then wrap up at something close to 300W and average for the ride around 292W (PB for the expected race time). Not surprisingly, most of the C riders jumped out of the gate hard, but with no draft there was no incentive to deviate from the plan. So I tried hard to stick to my 280 target for the first 2-3 miles and not worry about placement. I started pulling back C and a few B riders when I upped my target into the 290W range. In fact I was pretty sure I was leading the qualified C riders once we went into the final quarter of the race where I wanted to up the power again. I was pretty sure I wasn't keeping up the kind of watts I wanted for the last few miles, but I was holding my position over my nearest C competitor (15seconds).

Finished with 289, 297, 297, 289 for the 4 periods. So a bit harder than I wanted for the first 3/4s of the race and a bit under for the end. Still took first and was nearly dead on for my target average of 292. Best power in the 25-27 minute range ever. FTP bump from zwift. The one C rider up the road from me finished just shy of 4W/kg and obviously DQd out of C. He would have won B cat.

Not sure if I'll have anything for KISS EUR tomorrow.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Jeff, superb progress mate:okay:

You just have to work on those 5% bumps^_^

That's the success to a quick lap. Running at your FTP or near but being able to peak the power for the climbs to stick in the pack. It's actually that brief period after the climb where you can't back off, return to FTP pace

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Two race reports.

Tuesday KISS EUR. Huge blob of riders. Had to be 20+. The usual story. Hung with them most of the race -- hardest part for me was that short 5% climb 6 times. The first 4 weren't too bad. #5 required a significant effort to hang onto the back, then get back into the pack for the final lap. Lost the pack on the final climb and solo'd the last mile or so for a 10th place finish.

Wednesday KISS 10mi TT. A pretty good showing for the TT. Wanted to start off around 280W, then around 290W for the bulk of the race, then wrap up at something close to 300W and average for the ride around 292W (PB for the expected race time). Not surprisingly, most of the C riders jumped out of the gate hard, but with no draft there was no incentive to deviate from the plan. So I tried hard to stick to my 280 target for the first 2-3 miles and not worry about placement. I started pulling back C and a few B riders when I upped my target into the 290W range. In fact I was pretty sure I was leading the qualified C riders once we went into the final quarter of the race where I wanted to up the power again. I was pretty sure I wasn't keeping up the kind of watts I wanted for the last few miles, but I was holding my position over my nearest C competitor (15seconds).

Finished with 289, 297, 297, 289 for the 4 periods. So a bit harder than I wanted for the first 3/4s of the race and a bit under for the end. Still took first and was nearly dead on for my target average of 292. Best power in the 25-27 minute range ever. FTP bump from zwift. The one C rider up the road from me finished just shy of 4W/kg and obviously DQd out of C. He would have won B cat.

Not sure if I'll have anything for KISS EUR tomorrow.
Well done Jeff :okay:

Sounds like you need to move up to B now and get even more improvements:training:

JLaw

Veteran
That's the success to a quick lap. Running at your FTP or near but being able to peak the power for the climbs to stick in the pack. It's actually that brief period after the climb where you can't back off, return to FTP pace
It's the ability to repeat those surges above FTP where I'm currently struggling. I think a certain amount of it is mental. If I contrast the bump on the volcano route vs the one in London or Watopia flat, the former happens at the very end of the race and I know it's 400W for a minute and I can collapse. For London/Watopia flat, you have the bump surge, but then another mile and the final sprint and that seems to be a bit of a mental block for me :sad:

On the physical side, I'm sure surging over FTP after running at 98-100% of a PB for nearly an hour is just plain tough and not something I've really thought about how to overcome. I'm actually more concerned with the tail-off from 60-80 at steady state as 80 minutes is the goal time for my benchmark ride this year. Ideally the Zwift races would be slightly longer to push me hard after the 1hr point, but I'll take what I can get.

WRT moving up to B, it's certainly on my radar. I've thought seriously about riding with the B guys for the flat courses and C for climbing courses. THough I've also heard that's discouraged. So my current thinking is to stick with C as I've still got headroom on the W/KG limits. Ideally I'd eat up that headroom by lowering KGs and then move up to B.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
1,2,3 minute HIT intervals. They really do help. around 150% of FTP for 1 minute, coming down to 120% for 3 mins. If you cant do 120% then you need to build an endurance base first.

JLaw

Veteran
1,2,3 minute HIT intervals. They really do help. around 150% of FTP for 1 minute, coming down to 120% for 3 mins. If you cant do 120% then you need to build an endurance base first.
Funny. 150% of FTP for 1 minute just about nails what I shoot for on the bump for the final lap of the volcano circuit. 120%, but for a shorter period is about where I'm climbing that bump on prior laps. You'd have to figure several sets would be needed...

WRT endurance base. It's a bit ironic. I'm rapidly approaching 1 year of racing regularly on zwift and was looking at the data from the last 11 months -- there's a post forming in my head about what's changed over the last year and a stronger endurance base is definitely a part of that.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Fwiw I think few of us do enough endurance riding , 1 1/2 h minimum and those that do have seen the biggest improvements; Lee, Andy.
I saw huge improvements in my strength and endurance when I was training with Zsun for the worlds but that involved 2-3 2h plus rides a week and a lot of hill climbing at 120-150% ftp and expectation you carried the power over for as long as possible. I wish I could have kept it up!
Sorry that sounded like I know what I am talking about:laugh:

Last edited:

kipster

Guru
Fwiw I think few of us do enough endurance riding , 1 1/2 h minimum and those that do have seen the biggest improvements; Lee, Andy.
I saw huge improvements in my strength and endurance when I was training with Zsun for the worlds but that involved 2-3 2h plus rides a week and a lot of hill climbing at 120-150% ftp and expectation you carried the power over for as long as possible. I wish I could have kept it up!

I get in some 3 to 4 hour rides on a Saturday at this time of year, 50 to 60 miles ish, hills to pump out some efforts. I get some over unders and 125% FTP sessions on TrainerRoad to build strength.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I can’t get this right ?? Turbo is connected to laptop via Bluetooth it also connects to zwift app on my phone by Bluetooth and works normally. However zwift on the laptop won’t find anything to connect to cadence sensor or trainer ? Any help for a newbie noob appreciated.

027AE316-0536-4632-A5DF-593E45395C5D.jpeg

Top Bottom