Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Was there talk of a few of us doing the same Tour De Zwift event this afternoon/evening? Did we decide on a time slot? (Sorry if I've missed it)

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Haha, I'm entered for a race tomorrow morning and there's only one other entrant so far. I clicked on her and she's got a hilarious ZwiftPower profile:

https://zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=3478003

I don't know what's funniest; that her weight has apparently fluctuated so much, that she rides at constant power (bot?), or that she appears to have raced up to 7 times a day...

alex_cycles

Veteran
Haha, I'm entered for a race tomorrow morning and there's only one other entrant so far. I clicked on her and she's got a hilarious ZwiftPower profile:

I don't know what's funniest; that her weight has apparently fluctuated so much, that she rides at constant power (bot?), or that she appears to have raced up to 7 times a day...

Big lunch on Christmas eve, followed by a glorious evacuation :laugh: ...

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 13.25.57.png

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Was there talk of a few of us doing the same Tour De Zwift event this afternoon/evening? Did we decide on a time slot? (Sorry if I've missed it)
There was an idea but not too many takers. I'm signed up for 17:00 3-laps but looks like there's also 3 people for the 18:00 3- and 2-laps.

This person probably doesn't even know they're on ZP.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I do know quite a bit about how that works as I've seen a looooot of my own graphs. Not really complicated.

Effort above your critical power - tank depletes. Effort below your critical power - tank replenishes. The more over/under CP you go, the quicker the depletion/replenishment. Recovery is very quick early on and then tapers off - i.e. If you spend yourself and then drop down to zone 2, first 60s will replenish (e.g.) 10kJ, but the next 60s just 5kJ, the next 60s just 2.5kJ, etc.

My W'bal from the Innsbruckring ZRL race:

View attachment 676589

My W'bal from ZRL TTT:

View attachment 676588

[EDIT]: Analysing these after the event is really useful - I think it gives more insight into how hard/smart you raced than any other graph.

You can see, for example, that in Innsbruck I didn't go all out on the Legsnapper - I left a decent chunk of energy in the tank for the subsequent sprint - which in hindsight was a good move. I don't deplete myself until the very end.

As for TTT, you can clearly see where we went from 3-man pulls until the KOM to all-team pulls. However, you can also see that over time my tank balance actually increases - means I could have done longer pulls then I did.

I've just found out how to do this on intervals.icu. Excellent. Now a quick look at Tuesday's ZRL on Neon Flats shows me what happened when I emptied the tank by going early on Castle Park iteration 1...

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 13.53.01.png

Now I want it displayed in real time :laugh:
Dammit! I'll have to make another custom field on my Garmin if I want that.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I've just found out how to do this on intervals.icu. Excellent. Now a quick look at Tuesday's ZRL on Neon Flats shows me what happened when I emptied the tank by going early on Castle Park iteration 1...

View attachment 676596

Now I want it displayed in real time :laugh:
Dammit! I'll have to make another custom field on my Garmin if I want that.
If you go any deeper down that rabbit hole, you'll end up lost forever, Alex ;):laugh:

Yeah, during the race on Tuesday, I felt I couldn't really go on Castle Park right after Alley. I let it go on both laps - did just enough to hold on to the lead group - and instead sprinted properly (or at least tried) on the second pass on each lap. Looking at the W'bal graph for that event, it was definitely the right move.

I think W'bal would be very difficult to follow during a sprint. A good effort can deplete around 12kJ in 15s for me - that gauge would go down faaast. It could be really handy on long climbs and TTTs though.

alex_cycles

Veteran
If you go any deeper down that rabbit hole, you'll end up lost forever, Alex ;):laugh:

Yeah, during the race on Tuesday, I felt I couldn't really go on Castle Park right after Alley. I let it go on both laps - did just enough to hold on to the lead group - and instead sprinted properly (or at least tried) on the second pass on each lap. Looking at the W'bal graph for that event, it was definitely the right move.

I think W'bal would be very difficult to follow during a sprint. A good effort can deplete around 12kJ in 15s for me - that gauge would go down faaast. It could be really handy on long climbs and TTTs though.

I don't think it would be any use during a sprint. The main use for it would be to see if you're ready for the next one (in theory) :laugh:
But the legs and lungs do a fairly good job of indicating that as well.

Top Bottom