Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
I suggest time rather than points. Or time and points tables?

One cat for all?
Time is easier to calculate to be honest, with slowest plus 5% (or more/less?) awarded if you miss a stage. Which based on previous editions of this is usually my time plus 5% 😢

As for length and type. I say we do a good mix of profiles - something flat, something punchy, something climby (but maybe not the Alpe or Ventoux). Approx 40 minutes?
Don't forget that you can be creative in terms of what courses you pick by choosing custom finish lines. What's to stop us from doing a course that is say mainly flat but tackles the first three bends of the Alpe right at the end? Actually that's not a great idea having thought about it as it means you have to ride through the Jungle dirt to get there, but you get my gist.

40 mins for A's / high B's, would probably mean under an hour for someone like me, so I'd be okay with that.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
As for length and type. I say we do a good mix of profiles - something flat, something punchy, something climby (but maybe not the Alpe or Ventoux). Approx 40 minutes? Bologna ITT to finish things off?
Remember that as Bologna is event-only, you could only ride it by hijacking a proper event.

Some of the most fun events I've done have been mass-start drafting races on Bologna... but they're very few and far between.

mjd1988

Guru
If you are doing points could always do a course with a segment near the start and have a sprint for fun, all cats could compete for the green jersey while keeping main competition GC?

I also don't really care about the ZRL playoffs, I've never really understood what the point of them is but must read up again

steverob

Guru
If you are doing points could always do a course with a segment near the start and have a sprint for fun, all cats could compete for the green jersey while keeping main competition GC?
The trouble is without access to ZwiftPower (which you don't get on a Club organised race) or the Zwift API, you won't get a post-race breakdown of who finished where on the sprint.

The only way you could do it manually is to ask one person to trail round the course in last place each race and take a screenshot of the sprint leaderboard once all the results were in. Even then that would only give you the FTS times, not tell you who was first across the line.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Remember that as Bologna is event-only, you could only ride it by hijacking a proper event.

Some of the most fun events I've done have been mass-start drafting races on Bologna... but they're very few and far between.
I think what we did last time is we chose an event (no draft & only TT bikes) and then (for those that couldn't make it) gave people a week to complete a TT in Bologna .

bobinski

Legendary Member
I'm good for any day of the week and don't really care about the ZRL playoffs to be entirely honest. If I had to choose it would be Thursdays.

As for length and type. I say we do a good mix of profiles - something flat, something punchy, something climby (but maybe not the Alpe or Ventoux). Approx 40 minutes? Bologna ITT to finish things off?

Defo both time and points but time is of course the ultimate winner.

Surely every ride at least an hour to punish the sprinters🤔😁

Joffey

Big Dosser
Time is easier to calculate to be honest, with slowest plus 5% (or more/less?) awarded if you miss a stage. Which based on previous editions of this is usually my time plus 5% 😢

It'll be mine now :laugh:

Maybe a simple(ish) way would be to have a 10 mile TT where we get points for finishing but use that time to calculate how far riders are behind and work out a simple handicap system for the overall timed classification. Bit like a prologue.

Tommy might be off 0 and I might get 7% off my time to keep it competitive based on the TT.

Maybe it sounds complicated and would never be perfect but it would give the slower riders a bit more of a chance to be in the mix maybe?

I remember that Bologna TT thing we did was pointless for me to enter, so I didn't. I knew I would be last :whistle::laugh:

Anyway, feel free to ignore me!! I'll get involved in some way or other!! :bicycle:

mjd1988

Guru
The trouble is without access to ZwiftPower (which you don't get on a Club organised race) or the Zwift API, you won't get a post-race breakdown of who finished where on the sprint.

The only way you could do it manually is to ask one person to trail round the course in last place each race and take a screenshot of the sprint leaderboard once all the results were in. Even then that would only give you the FTS times, not tell you who was first across the line.

Ah fair enough. Even videoing it wouldn't necessarily tell us who won it can differ from the result. Unless we have a 2km flat drag race and then start a race straight away afterwards, which would be a bit extreme

mjd1988

Guru
Ah fair enough. Even videoing it wouldn't necessarily tell us who won it can differ from the result. Unless we have a 2km flat drag race and then start a race straight away afterwards, which would be a bit extreme

Tiny race splitters series

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
It'll be mine now :laugh:

Maybe a simple(ish) way would be to have a 10 mile TT where we get points for finishing but use that time to calculate how far riders are behind and work out a simple handicap system for the overall timed classification. Bit like a prologue.

Tommy might be off 0 and I might get 7% off my time to keep it competitive based on the TT.

Maybe it sounds complicated and would never be perfect but it would give the slower riders a bit more of a chance to be in the mix maybe?

I remember that Bologna TT thing we did was pointless for me to enter, so I didn't. I knew I would be last :whistle::laugh:

Anyway, feel free to ignore me!! I'll get involved in some way or other!! :bicycle:
I think that is a bit too complicated. Simplest things are usually more fun

My vote would be on a straight up mass start and classic GC. We all know roughly who are our closest opponents are and therefore know who to beat.

And it saves us all the back and forth around calculating gaps, handicaps, etc. which would be a real pain.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
My vote goes to joffies idea. No idea what he’s talking about but something that complicated is guaranteed to start an argument 👌

Edit: not the bit about me starting on zero obviously! Just the rest of it 👍👍

Joffey

Big Dosser
I think that is a bit too complicated. Simplest things are usually more fun

My vote would be on a straight up mass start and classic GC. We all know roughly who are our closest opponents are and therefore know who to beat.

And it saves us all the back and forth around calculating gaps, handicaps, etc. which would be a real pain.

Says the Cat B who will be at the pointy end!! Only joking Pete - I know what you are saying and agree TBH... just trying my luck at getting favourable time advantages so I can spoil the party :laugh:

steverob

Guru
Tiny race splitters series
I'd actually be up for that. Maybe not as extreme as the Zwift Insider ones, maybe only 2-3 races a night with a slightly longer gap between each, but having lots of short races would keep the interest up for someone like me who normally doesn't see any of the other riders after the first minute of the race because you've all disappeared off into the distance!

You could have one week where we do 3 routes all finishing at the top of climbs, but then the next week it's all 5km flat races but we do them on TT bikes so it's not a guaranteed bunch finish, then the week after we come up with something else...

Top Bottom