Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Flowers something like this. Returning the land to nature for 5 years, got to get it all done whilst weather is good

View attachment 692548

We are doing countryside stewardship.

The land has been neglected for since 2018, rock hard , we have to prepare a seed bed for seeding, power harrow, great implement but you can't whizz along like with some pieces of kit
That's quite some retirement project to keep you busy :laugh:
Farmland -> Flowers -> Bees -> Honey -> Mead

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Clocked a 6s PB on Tempus this morning - down to 24:18. The dip occurs just after 20 minutes - I was pushing for a 20-min best power today as much as for a time - it neatly coincides with the slight downhill on the return legs so it didn’t really cost me any time.

20 mins @ 326W average ^_^

6F02E8D5-244D-4BCD-8785-96AFD09E2D1C.jpeg

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Clocked a 6s PB on Tempus this morning - down to 24:18. The dip occurs just after 20 minutes - I was pushing for a 20-min best power today as much as for a time - it neatly coincides with the slight downhill on the return legs so it didn’t really cost me any time.

View attachment 692762
Impressive numbers. You should try one of the FRR events, Tim - I know you would enjoy the strong competition - and they have a 6am Friday slot - your favourite ;)

JuhaL

Guru

View attachment 692762

I heard and read that Tempus Fugit is Latin and it means time flies but your effort and time tells different, cracking effort.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I heard and read that Tempus Fugit is Latin and it means time flies but your effort and time tells different, cracking effort.
Aw, thanks Juha, that’s a lovely thing to say. But time seemed to be going incredibly slowly yesterday morning, particularly around 10 minutes in…!

bridgy

Legendary Member
Well, your preparation for the ToC is still probably better than mine Martin!
(yes, I know you're in the Race and I'm only in the Sportive, so I don't really need to prepare to anywhere near the same degree, but you know what I mean)

Having had nearly two months where I've barely cycled, I've finally started to feel like my old self again and have begun to put together a level of form where it actually feels worthwhile me attending the event; only for my bike to then crap out on me:cry:

Four punctures total across the long weekend's rides (three sudden, one slow, both wheels affected) were not a good sign, so checked my tyres and they aren't in a pretty state - all sorts of lumps and gouges out of them, meaning anything even remotely sharp is easily able to work its way in and do damage. So it's off to the LBS tomorrow for a new set, although not the size or brand I'd usually go for, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

But at least it gave me an excuse last night to get on Zwift one last time before my subscription expires for the summer - pleasantly surprised that I was only 11 watts down on the FTP I set back in early March, which was the last time I felt good on the bike - hopefully I can keep that going.

@steverob how did your TOC go? Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up - pre-ride we were actually quite busy and @Rich A and I didn't hang around much after we finished as we had a long drive back and I knew I was going to be tired!

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
@steverob how did your TOC go? Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up - pre-ride we were actually quite busy and @Rich A and I didn't hang around much after we finished as we had a long drive back and I knew I was going to be tired!
Oooh, it's a long winding tale that I did post on the CCC forum (cause there was also some personal stuff involved), but basically at 4pm on the Saturday it was still touch and go whether I'd actually be on the start line or not...

Thankfully with the aid of Terry Wright Cycles in Peterborough (the sort of LBS we could do with in my home town) I did get a bike capable of taking part, even if I was absolutely paranoid about it going wrong for the first hour or so of the event.

Completed in 4 hours 10 minutes, which is very close to what I'd hoped for, so overall pretty satisfied. Having a headwind on that long straight was an absolute killer wasn't it!

Norry1

Legendary Member
Oooh, it's a long winding tale that I did post on the CCC forum (cause there was also some personal stuff involved), but basically at 4pm on the Saturday it was still touch and go whether I'd actually be on the start line or not...

Thankfully with the aid of Terry Wright Cycles in Peterborough (the sort of LBS we could do with in my home town) I did get a bike capable of taking part, even if I was absolutely paranoid about it going wrong for the first hour or so of the event.

Completed in 4 hours 10 minutes, which is very close to what I'd hoped for, so overall pretty satisfied. Having a headwind on that long straight was an absolute killer wasn't it!

I remember the last time I did ToC, we had a raging tailwind on that stretch and absolutely flew along it.

steverob

Guru
Done ToC four times - different courses but all of them have ended up on that road at some point. I've had direct headwinds (in 2016 and 2023), a strong tailwind (2019) and a cross/tail but on a day where the wind wasn't that strong (2018). Let's just say it's a lot more fun with the latter two than the former!

My times on that segment range from 12 minutes to almost 18... https://www.strava.com/segments/9578748

bridgy

Legendary Member

Ah, well I'm glad you made it then! I'll be honest I didn't really have too much of a problem with the wind this year - maybe I was tucked in behind a big guy on the headwind section or something!

I wasn't really aiming for anything, but wanted to ride reasonably fast on the closed roads whilst prioritising staying safe even if that meant losing the wheels of a group - which I did with about 10 miles to go so was mostly solo from there. Finished in 2 hours 58, with Rich a couple of minutes ahead of me. (We did the 66 mile Gran Fondo)

Top Bottom