Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
I think because we didn't have to do that whole 30 mile Fens loop that's been in previous editions, that's why the wind didn't come into play quite as much.

I was quite happily riding in various large-ish groups until we reached about 40 miles, when I realised that most of the people I was sitting in with were doing the 100 mile version (and presumably had been pacing themselves on account of that), which of course meant that they then split off to do their second lap and I suddenly found myself pretty much riding solo from that point until I reached the final pit stop (which was the only one I stopped at).

Considering I hadn't done a ride over 55 miles since February, I wasn't too surprised that my legs started to flag just before that final rise at Haddon and sure enough the final five mile stretch was the slowest one I did all day at 14.4 mph, but even that is about the average pace I'd do for the whole route on a normal ride.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
How do ZwiftPower race rankings work? This fella has won his last 54 (yes fifty-four!) races, hasn't finished off the podium in a race for 18 months, and yet his ranking score is higher (worse) than mine!

Oh, and how can Holden Comeau be a 'B'? :eek:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
How do ZwiftPower race rankings work? This fella has won his last 54 (yes fifty-four!) races, hasn't finished off the podium in a race for 18 months, and yet his ranking score is higher (worse) than mine!

Oh, and how can Holden Comeau be a 'B'? :eek:
@alex_cycles is the expert, but I think I takes into account the quality of the field - i.e. the ranking of the top riders in the race - and calculates your result based on where you finished compared to them. So finishing 30th in a high-quality field is better than winning a low-quality race.

Just checked and even my ranking is better than yours :tongue: In midst of the multi-day FRR events, I was dipping below 110 points, despite finishing 50th.

Legs

I knew that - was just pointing out that it's a very flawed system. Four of my counting events are the Tiny Races I did a few weeks back, where I was going like a sack of spuds and placed in the bottom quarter of the field in every race. Most of the riders I did beat were Bs like me, racing up in A. OTOH, last night I beat some cromulent As but my result score was higher than it was in all those Tinies...

Check out this guy for an impressive 'B'! :ohmy:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I knew that - was just pointing out that it's a very flawed system. Four of my counting events are the Tiny Races I did a few weeks back, where I was going like a sack of spuds and placed in the bottom quarter of the field in every race. Most of the riders I did beat were Bs like me, racing up in A. OTOH, last night I beat some cromulent As but my result score was higher than it was in all those Tinies...

Check out this guy for an impressive 'B'! :ohmy:
No one system is perfect. I actually think the ZP one is probably the best one around. Just had a closer look at the profile of the first rider you linked, turns out 90% of his activities are not ranked at all - it's wins in events that are considered group rides and not races. The second one - yup, that's about as good as you can get as a B. If you have the endurance to keep up with people at the (legacy) category edge - 4.2/4.4 W/kg AND are a very good sprinter, you're going to be killing it.

alex_cycles

Veteran
@alex_cycles is the expert, but I think I takes into account the quality of the field - i.e. the ranking of the top riders in the race - and calculates your result based on where you finished compared to them. So finishing 30th in a high-quality field is better than winning a low-quality race.

Just checked and even my ranking is better than yours :tongue: In midst of the multi-day FRR events, I was dipping below 110 points, despite finishing 50th.

the simple answer is "it doesn't work" :laugh: As far as I know it's never been used for anything useful apart from some category splits in DRS.
That's why we call them wranking points because that's all they're worth. :laugh:

But there is an algorithm that sets race quality as "(the average of the top 5 people in the top 10 finishers) *0.9" then the race winner gets that score and everyone else gets that plus an increment multiplied by their (race position-1).

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Entered the Zwift OG tonight, Hilly Watopia. Never got on with this course, having a full effort soon after the start . Legs felt strong after doing weights, lack of time on the bike exposed lungs we the weak link. Dropped to mid pack after first climb, struggled to hold onto my small group for the second lap. Rode almost solo after 2nd climb to finish between groups.

Good workout, fair assessment

mjd1988

Guru
Entered the Zwift OG tonight, Hilly Watopia. Never got on with this course, having a full effort soon after the start . Legs felt strong after doing weights, lack of time on the bike exposed lungs we the weak link. Dropped to mid pack after first climb, struggled to hold onto my small group for the second lap. Rode almost solo after 2nd climb to finish between groups.

Good workout, fair assessment

It's some start isn't it. I did it an hour later, field broke in half up climb then stayed together but lots of attacking and counterattacking which was good. Final sprint top 9 all within 0.7 of a second. Pleased to be in the shakeup after 10 days off the bike but HR spiking like mad

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
It's some start isn't it. I did it an hour later, field broke in half up climb then stayed together but lots of attacking and counterattacking which was good. Final sprint top 9 all within 0.7 of a second. Pleased to be in the shakeup after 10 days off the bike but HR spiking like mad

Looking back at my video. I got a new PB up the first climb😁

Despite that I was still 10 secs off the main lead pack and a whopping 16 secs slower than the fastest. That's an eternity, with the leaders already out of sight when I rolled through the banner.
Told y'all it wasn't my favourite :laugh:

Norry1

Legendary Member
It is going to be a while before I get my Blog sorted for the ToC - so I thought I'd drop my "draft" Race Report on here now with a few pics. Apologies - it is quite a long post!

Since the UCI announced it in 2019, my long-term goal has been “Qualifying for and being competitive” in the 2023 Gran Fondo World championships. Now I accept that “being competitive” is not very specific but I think I will know if I’ve achieved it.

To qualify for the Worlds, you have to be in the top 25% of an eligible event and in the UK that means the Tour of Cambridgeshire hence why the race this weekend was kind of a big deal for me.

I drove to Peterborough on Saturday and as usual stayed in the Park Inn which is about 5 miles from the event. I registered on Saturday afternoon and took advantage of the Ekoi stand, who were doing 50% discount on all their stuff at the show, to buy an Aer14 aero helmet. Brian Smith of Eurosport fame was on the stand but he was just sat on his phone so he didn’t get the pearls of my wisdom or witty repartee.

Our race was due to start at 09:18 and the pens opened at 8:30. Working backwards from that time in terms of how long before the race to eat, you can see that it meant an early start – my alarm was set for 5:50 a.m. but I was up before that anyway having gone to bed at 9pm.

I’d brought 200g of Muesli and a carton of cashew milk for my 6 a.m. breakfast and slowly got kitted up and ready. The race numbers were not very sturdy and mine had already ripped. I noticed many others looked the same way as the day went on.

I rode to the event doing about 9 miles as a warmup and went into the pen (G) as soon as it opened. I have a habit of not getting and staying near the front at the start of races which sometimes means I can miss an early break if there is one and I was determined not to make that mistake this time. I had a good chat with a few guys, one of whom was the eventual winner.

It was fairly chilly to stand around for 45 minutes but I had brought a dispensable sweatshirt with me which I wore in the pen intending to chuck it just before the start. Luckily some of our Warwick Lanterne Rouge peoples saw me in the Pen and took it away for me. Cheers all. The weather was forecast to be sunny and around 19 degrees. It was in fact a lovely sunny day and felt much hotter than 19 degrees when in the sun.

I looked around and I was in a small minority of people with a saddle bag. You were advised to carry a tube and pump and the organiser on the mike said he had no sympathy with people who punctured with no means of repair. I think most people decided to take the risk to save the weight/drag impact. I had changed my mind several times regarding whether to carry a spare but ended up with the 400g liability.

The flag dropped and we were off. It was quick but not manic and I stayed near the front. It was reasonably straight for a while which helped and no one broke away.

After a while it got a bit more rural and whilst there are few hills, there are quite a few turns, some quite sharp, and there is always a sprint out of them which can catch you out.

I think the biggest hill is Alconbury Hill which comes after about 32 miles. I know I worked really hard up there as I thought a break would go. I did a PR of 2:41 and 352W average which would have been quicker except it was directly into the wind this year.

I’m not sure how many riders had been shelled but there was still a very large front group. There had been a few attempts to break away but none stuck. With the flatness and the wind it would take a strong group to do so.

Around 50 miles in we were catching big groups from the younger categories and this made it hard to see where the front of our race was. I realised that I was no longer at the front and had to make a major effort to pass groups and chase onto our leaders. This was the hardest part of the race for me and I had to really dig in mentally to not give in. Once back on, I was pleased with how quickly I recovered.

The race followed the pattern of the race I did last week in that it became quite start/stop with periods where we were almost bimbling along and then an explosion of speed. This is okay in a normal race, but here we were also trying to ensure we qualified for the World’s and this is calculated from the top 25% of times in the Road Race and the corresponding age group Gran Fondo.

The final 10 miles have a lot of narrow and rutted lanes with quick rises and a few sharp corners. This was pretty sketchy as the group of about 40 were still together. I saw (and had) near misses but I didn’t see any actual crashes in our race.

The finish almost crept up on me. I was in a decent position, say 15-20th feeling ready for a sprint and came into the final roundabout. I hit it at pace and then some dickhead got it wrong and had to chop right in front of me. I didn’t crash but lost all my momentum and quite a few places. I jumped on the pedals and just went all out. I passed at least half a dozen riders in the final sprint and ended up 24th.

Now some stats:

Distance: 66.1 miles

My time was 2hrs 51:09 Average Speed 23.2 mph

Average Power 191W, NP 244W, IF 0.89 TSS 244

As my first race of the year was only last week, I was reasonably pleased with this performance. I now have a couple of months to get some more racing in and get more
“race-ready for World's.”

The Gran Fondo had started after the race so there was a bit of a wait to see what their times were.

The winner of the Gran Fondo was actually 13 minutes faster than us, but only 9 of them were quicker than us, so Qualification was secure.

The event had a large grassy square with exhibitors, race HQ and food outlets around the outside. As we all sprawled in the warm sun it was great to catch up with people from my club, Warwick Lanterne Rouge, mates I went to Calpe with and also Bridgy and Rich Averley from Cyclechat.

The UCI Qualification medals were given out after the podium awards. This was really badly organised but we got our medals in the end.

So, on to the Gran Fondo World Championships in Perth (Scotland, not Oz.) Who else is going?

1686124829364.jpeg

1686124878936.jpeg

1686124932773.jpeg

1686124993801.jpeg

1686125086102.jpeg

1686126468119.png

Last edited:

JuhaL

Guru
I had often (many years) lower back pain when I was cycling, usually started after 45min ride. Few weeks ago I adjust saddle more fore, little bit lower and saddle nose slight downward. After that back pain disappeared immediate. Too many years I was looking for reason somewhere else, I did different adjustment but all them was to wrong direction. Great to enjoy cycling now more than many years.

Legs

Looking back at my video. I got a new PB up the first climb😁

Despite that I was still 10 secs off the main lead pack and a whopping 16 secs slower than the fastest. That's an eternity, with the leaders already out of sight when I rolled through the banner.
Told y'all it wasn't my favourite :laugh:

That's a great result, Andy.

Considering how much of an effect the KOM has on results in Hilly Route races, it's useful to train specifically for 1-2 minute efforts. I really like the short Miracle workout - the 115% FTP efforts are nowhere near hard enough to stretch you, but they're a really good primer for the full-gas free-ride intervals.

I see @alex_cycles is riding the Zwift Hill Climb Racing Club event on the KOM this morning - nothing like that feeling of oxygen debt as you come to the 300m-to-go sign!

Top Bottom