Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Crazy idea - but if anyone else is interested, I've contacted a tour company in Taiwan who organise rides up the Taiwan KoM - they can do the official KoM Challenge (looks to be October) but also a spring tour. I can't do this year so I'm talking to them about next year/2025. If anyone else has this on their bucket list and wants to be kept up to date with the chat, costs etc then let me know and I'll start a private chat.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Crazy idea - but if anyone else is interested, I've contacted a tour company in Taiwan who organise rides up the Taiwan KoM - they can do the official KoM Challenge (looks to be October) but also a spring tour. I can't do this year so I'm talking to them about next year/2025. If anyone else has this on their bucket list and wants to be kept up to date with the chat, costs etc then let me know and I'll start a private chat.

Crazy idea is right!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I would assume pretty much everyone has ridden most of the courses on Zwift. So how about looking at the finish times for proposed course in each category. Take an average if there are plenty of results. This will give the start time difference for each category.

Hare n Hounds handicaps are one of my favourite events. Team work with the category initially, then as the finish looks every man for themselves.

When the faster cats catch, they're usually a bit fatigued so aren't as lively and lower cats can sometimes jump on to their train and get away from their own pack

bridgy

Legendary Member
I would assume pretty much everyone has ridden most of the courses on Zwift. So how about looking at the finish times for proposed course in each category. Take an average if there are plenty of results. This will give the start time difference for each category.

Hare n Hounds handicaps are one of my favourite events. Team work with the category initially, then as the finish looks every man for themselves.

When the faster cats catch, they're usually a bit fatigued so aren't as lively and lower cats can sometimes jump on to their train and get away from their own pack
if we do go down the handicap race route, a simpler alternative way is to just copy one of the regular handicap race events and use the same course and time gaps between Cats they use (on the assumption there's some logic to their time gaps!)

Still only really works for us if all Cats are represented by vaguely similar numbers of riders though I think?

steverob

Guru
Yeah, I'm not planning on calculating specific gaps between groups as that way madness lies, as proved by previous incarnations of events we've tried to run, where people have fallen out over gaps being too big or too small.

I'll just set an arbitary gap between groups of 1 or 2 minutes (depending on the length of the course) and if it means the faster riders catch the slower ones at only one third of the course distance in, so be it. And after all, it's not about the catch - remember this is NOT intended to be a "team" race; it's everyone for themselves, we just happen to be setting people off at intervals. There's no intention to try and make everyone finish at roughly the same time or anything like that.

And all of that of course depends on whether it's even possible to set up time gaps on these sorts of events - it might turn out not to be something we can do.

Went route badge hunting again, joined a D 1hr endurance ride for the Big Flat 8, must nicer than the 100KM C I did the other day.

I then did a Herd TT on the castle crit course, only 6 Cat C's. I got totally confused bombed off then saw someone only doing 1.7 W/kg , looked up on the screen and it showed a lead in, then lap 1 and lap 2. So I slowed down not wanting to waste energy, then people bombed past so then figured the lead in was only a lead into the course but was part of the TT. By then too late and I had cocked it up. However at the end the results on Zwift power gave no times just points in the series. I had the 4th highest 20 min w/kg which is weird as not even a 20 min event. Got the castle crit route badge though, Also equal shortist on the TT with a lady LOL, she was considerably lighter though.

bobinski

Legendary Member

Interested.

Brusgaard

Über Guru

Just checked my calendar, and unfortunately 2025 is my downhill/flat course year. :becool:

mjd1988

Guru

I mean I'd love to but likely a bit too ambitious with small kids

I intend retiring summer next year so would have the time, doubt whether my missus would be impressed though she might stomach the idea if part of a holiday with her included. Probably be a bit too expensive for me but would be interested to know a ball park figure of cost. To be honest I don't think I would do as a quick google was showing holidays with flights around the 4K mark, touring holiday without flights around 2.5K

Top Bottom