Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
You may have seen it on Thursday but I did a threshold effort up the Alpe ~4.86 w/kg, finishing in 41:38 IIRC. HR was lower than expected so it's possible I can squeeze out a touch more. I'm in no rush to find out though! ^_^
BTW I was 67 kg 3 months ago and I'm currently 61.4 kg, and that has made a massive difference.

Did you make a concerted effort to lose weight Dave, or did it just shed through training? Very impressed with the effort.

<Tommy>

^_^
You will be fine mate. You are not much heavier than me and put out more power. And you can sustain it. Though you won’t be able to ride the draft like you did last week :tongue:
I have ridden mountains back to back on 3-4 trips now. Personally I will be using the local sauna and steam room every day to recover. Seems to work for me.

Sauna sounds good. Although we better warn berty they’re not like the ones in soho ^_^

I’m not worried about the Pyrenees at all really. I’ve just ordeed a 11-32 cassette and I’ve been up steeper hills on less. I’m just trying to talk myself into enjoying the ride rather than trying to kill myself up the hills. It’s easier said than done... I just thought maybe stopping at some point would kill any chance of getting a ‘good’ time. As well as getting some nice photos. So it might change my mindset a little. Time will tell... :rolleyes:

uclown2002

Guru
Did you make a concerted effort to lose weight Dave, or did it just shed through training? Very impressed with the effort.
Concerted effort to lose weight using MFP. I track and log ALL food intake. I was quite competitive at 67 kg in Cat A but would get shelled up Box Hill with a fast group. Thought 2 kg might make a difference but I just ploughed on. My BMI is down to 20 so will stop at 61kg and try and maintain somewhere close. I still cycle roughly the same ~ 14-18 hrs per week but have introduced more Z2 and less Z1 coupled with doubling up races.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Sauna sounds good. Although we better warn berty they’re not like the ones in soho ^_^

I’m not worried about the Pyrenees at all really. I’ve just ordeed a 11-32 cassette and I’ve been up steeper hills on less. I’m just trying to talk myself into enjoying the ride rather than trying to kill myself up the hills. It’s easier said than done... I just thought maybe stopping at some point would kill any chance of getting a ‘good’ time. As well as getting some nice photos. So it might change my mindset a little. Time will tell... :rolleyes:

I don’t think we will be racing just riding to a pace we are comfortable with. Like I said on whatsapp I think best training is sweetspot for up to hour. Or over and unders. It gets you used to the effort which is similar to spinning or grinding up a gradient and digging in when the gradient gets too much. Hill repeats are all well and good and gets core worked etc and so not to be discounted but it’s so different.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Just take it easy for the first 2 days, you'll then find climbing legs good and proper.

That will be hard. After all we are not there that long. As soon as I get there and look at the roads leading up I just want to ride up them. 180w minimum. Anything less and it just feels wrong. That’s 2.4w/k so not a huge effort but just enough to have a bit of momentum and enjoy.

<Tommy>

I don’t think we will be racing just riding to a pace we are comfortable with. Like I said on whatsapp I think best training is sweetspot for up to hour. Or over and unders. It gets you used to the effort which is similar to spinning or grinding up a gradient and digging in when the gradient gets too much. Hill repeats are all well and good and gets core worked etc and so not to be discounted but it’s so different.

Meh.... hill repeats get me out on my bike and well , going up hills ^_^. Honestly at this point, a few weeks out. We are where we are. If I felt like a wanted to build power or fitness I’d prob doing something structured. But right now I think for me at least it’s just about conditioning. Being out on the bike works your body like the turbo doesn’t. The rest is just how hard you want to push!

bobinski

Legendary Member
Meh.... hill repeats get me out on my bike and well , going up hills ^_^. Honestly at this point, a few weeks out. We are where we are. If I felt like a wanted to build power or fitness I’d prob doing something structured. But right now I think for me at least it’s just about conditioning. Being out on the bike works your body like the turbo doesn’t. The rest is just how hard you want to push!

:smile:
Didn’t have you down as a pusher Tommy :okay: But to each their own. Bit of off the bike core and flexibility training for me. Doesn’t come easy

It will be frigging awesome however we each go about prep. Now, if I hadn’t eaten tonight’s thai Curry, drunk 2 cobra’s and then eaten a snickers I might be taking a leaf out of Dave’s book and be losing weight :rolleyes: And 3-5 kilos would make a huge difference

<Tommy>

:smile:
Didn’t have you down as a pusher Tommy :okay: But to each their own. Bit of off the bike core and flexibility training for me. Doesn’t come easy

It will be frigging awesome however we each go about prep. Now, if I hadn’t eaten tonight’s thai Curry, drunk 2 cobra’s and then eaten a snickers I might be taking a leaf out of Dave’s book and be losing weight :rolleyes: And 3-5 kilos would make a huge difference

Agreed! It’s going to be a blast!

It’s mental how much cr@p I’ve eaten recently. Talk about bad timing...

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Didn’t know it was time to get excuses in already !! Bit early :biggrin:
Don’t forget if it’s sunny we should push on before getting sunburnt ! :biggrin:
I am pretty sure I can goad tommy into one “ let’s just try it once “ bobs gonna be harder work if he’s twiddling a parasol :sun:
Big words from someone who’s never tried it eh!
Getting real now ain’t it !

bobinski

Legendary Member
I thought you were there for the whole week?

Andy, we are there 5 days. Including days we fly in and out. I think it is still possible to extend it a day or two but Tommy will be spent by then so...

Didn’t know it was time to get excuses in already !! Bit early :biggrin:
Don’t forget if it’s sunny we should push on before getting sunburnt ! :biggrin:
I am pretty sure I can goad tommy into one “ let’s just try it once “ bobs gonna be harder work if he’s twiddling a parasol :sun:
Big words from someone who’s never tried it eh!
Getting real now ain’t it !

:hyper:

Yeah, Tommy is goadable. I will just watch you break him ( breakback mountain :biggrin: ) and then pootle past :thumbsup:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
on a serious note - fully expecting it to be hot at the bottom but i can imagine it changeable to cold at the top - what happens about clothing ? does Angus see us at the top or are carrying what we need just in case ?

Top Bottom