Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Yeah, Angus carries spare clothing, spare bits and pieces, gels, gallons of water, food - whatever you want.
The local weather forecasts tend to be spot on so we will check them before we ride. I have only ever been caught out in colder weather once though it was quite a shock and I will carry a light weight Gillet or wind/rain jacket if there is any risk of cold or wet weather at the top. That said I should say in all my other rides if it was hot at the bottom then at least very warm at the top.

Norry1

Legendary Member
on a serious note - fully expecting it to be hot at the bottom but i can imagine it changeable to cold at the top - what happens about clothing ? does Angus see us at the top or are carrying what we need just in case ?

When I did the Pyrenean RAID last year, it was the week after the 30+ degree heatwave across Europe. That week the weather was very variable - and it was down to 5 degrees at the top of some of the summits. It was a fully supported trip so we had all sorts of clothing with us - most of which got used at onetime or another. So moral - take more stuff than you think you will need.

bobinski

Legendary Member
you need winter kit for the descent if cold hats MIT's jackets leg warmers if really cold

The weather can be changeable. When I went to Morzine a few years back we had 4 days of cool wet weather. Frigging scary descending on rim brakes. Then weather broke and so lovely and hot. Best to plan and have everything in the van and carry depending on weather forecast.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
^_^

Tommy is very goadable. Unfortunately this is undeniable :rolleyes:.... tommy also has rocks in his head... not sure why Tommy talking in third person though but anyway!...

I could well see myself half killing myself to get to the top of a hill before you featherweights on day one. But I’m trying my hardest to think about days 2,3 & 4 too!

I’m with Andy on this. I could bugger up the whole holiday just to race for some hollow victory. So I’ve just got to keep telling myself to let you guys go up the road... hence while I’ll be taking photos and being sociable.

Plus I already have one big advantage. I’m already 1 up on the year after Cambridge :wahhey:. The fact Berty jumped on a plane out the country and Deano took to the needle tells you all you need to know! :cycle:

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Aside from clothing I am bringing spare wheels. There are excellent local bike shops and the chances of a wheel failing are tiny but given Angus is collect and taking it seems silly not to take advantage. Those using rim brakes should take spare brake pads. If your wheels use unusual spokes then get some spares.
I would also suggest fitting new tyres if yours are worn. One of our group didn’t and had 2-3 punctures just because carcass was worn. One of our ascents is currently a gravel road near the top so bear that in mind.
I am bringing spare chain.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Aside from clothing I am bringing spare wheels. There are excellent local bike shops and the chances of a wheel failing are tiny but given Angus is collect and taking it seems silly not to take advantage. Those using rim brakes should take spare brake pads. If your wheels use unusual spokes then get some spares.
I would also suggest fitting new tyres if yours are worn. One of our group didn’t and had 2-3 punctures just because carcass was worn. One of our ascents is currently a gravel road near the top so bear that in mind.
I am bringing spare chain.

I’m bringing spare wheels too. Aluminium brake track. I’m very likely to need them because I won’t discend in carbon if it’s too wet.

That’s good advice about the chain bob. I haven’t really thought about the finer details but I might write myself a list in the next few days.

I know it gets windy on discnets so I might bring a gillet. Waterproof jacket of course. I guess a selection of long and short sleeve tops. I’m not sure about base layers but I think I’ll bring some anyway. Like bob says, Angus is going to be driving the gear over so may as well overpack.

I’ll bring earplugs to drown out the snoring. But I aint bringing a eye mask. Better to sleep with one eye open with you lot lurking about!

bobinski

Legendary Member
I think we go through the odd road tunnel and legally obliged and sensible to have lightweight blinky lights for those rides.

Planet X have double wheel bags for £15. I will order this week if anyone needs some/anything else you can get from them.

I have persuaded myself I also need some new sunglasses because my current pair kept sliding down my nose at ToC. ^_^

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
SNIP
I have persuaded myself I also need some new sunglasses because my current pair kept sliding down my nose at ToC. ^_^
No need for new sunglasses @bobinski. Just use these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Teemico-Ne...qid=1528625463&sr=8-16&keywords=glasses+strap

There's enough colours to match most combinations :girldance:

BTW I don't have a choice. I have to use something similar :cry:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Come on guys, you're all racers, you know you want to set up a KoM league for your ride in France. Points allocated as 10, 6, 3, 1 for first to last up each lump. I'm happy to help keep the league going whilst you're away if that helps :okay: Not that I'm encouraging you to destroy each other, but, you know, a bit of competition is always good :whistle:

I'd suggest the same for the DD but, well, that is just a social ride so we won't want to race :biggrin: That, and the fact that the only person I'll beat up the hills is the bloke driving the broom wagon :tongue:

JuhaL

Guru
I don't get it why Bkool Sim is bit of tricky for me. I mean part of course where the very steep ascent (+10%) follows flat part. I have almost always difficulties change the lower gear fast enough before the speed slows down (have a feeling that i cut the chain someday), feeling is like a hit the wall, not much inertia. I just have a feeling that Zwift have a better inertia, resistance increase smoothly.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I don't get it why Bkool Sim is bit of tricky for me. I mean part of course where the very steep ascent (+10%) follows flat part. I have almost always difficulties change the lower gear fast enough before the speed slows down (have a feeling that i cut the chain someday), feeling is like a hit the wall, not much inertia. I just have a feeling that Zwift have a better inertia, resistance increase smoothly.

Get in and do that Alp ride with the quark:okay:

Top Bottom