Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
If i win Lottery some day or have heritage, then Passoni would be answer for a next and last road bike i need...ever. Sort of wet dream i guess.

JLaw

Veteran
Problem is any defect in carbon is a catastrophic failure waiting to happen! While companies do their absolute best to ensure zero defects it can't be guaranteed. Wasn't there an issue with specialized fork crowns coming unglued a couple of years ago?

I keep looking, well lusting really, at carbon bikes, but there is this little nagging voice at the back of my head saying yes but! Sort of pushing me towards a Ti frame ... Most of those though have carbon forks. Doh!!
I've run carbon frames for my mtn bikes since the mid 90s. And back then I was hitting the trails pretty seriously. Never had any problems with 'em. I managed to break just about everything else at some point though, but the frames were rock solid and very light.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

While the results are the same the 'feel' was not and you can see that in the video. Max difficulty and the cadence was in the low to mid 70's, Min has mid to high 80's. That is my experience. I could not turn over the gears I had, IRL, as fast as I could in a sim. So although my power was similar I ended up grinding up the steeper climbs and my legs would just stop turning. This is why I use 100% all the time. It tells me where I am and what I need to do to get quicker.

bobinski

Legendary Member
While the results are the same the 'feel' was not and you can see that in the video. Max difficulty and the cadence was in the low to mid 70's, Min has mid to high 80's. That is my experience. I could not turn over the gears I had, IRL, as fast as I could in a sim. So although my power was similar I ended up grinding up the steeper climbs and my legs would just stop turning. This is why I use 100% all the time. It tells me where I am and what I need to do to get quicker.

TB I can see what you mean. You are drawing a distinction between irl rides and Zwift. I thought JuhaL was concerned with Zwift.
I train at 100% but race at about 50% mainly because when racing it means fewer gear changes making it a little easier to stay in the draft. I moved to 48/32 front rings when training at 100% for Pyrenees made me realise the change would allow me to improve my cadence.

JuhaL

Guru
That's right, i was concerned about Zwift. For me it's better with Zwift if i set a difficulty level little lower when i ride mountain courses. That gives me better way to recover and i will probably avoid over training symptoms as well. In a winter it's a lot of time to improve my physical shape and set difficulty level higher, if i can only do it right way. That doesn't come fast/shortcut, need a patient.

theboxers

TB I can see what you mean. You are drawing a distinction between irl rides and Zwift. I thought JuhaL was concerned with Zwift.
I train at 100% but race at about 50% mainly because when racing it means fewer gear changes making it a little easier to stay in the draft. I moved to 48/32 front rings when training at 100% for Pyrenees made me realise the change would allow me to improve my cadence.
I was trying to find a 48/30 or 46/30 crankset that were about a few years ago. Problem is no one now stocks them and the ones available, that I can find, are square taper designs or ovalised chain rings or both :sad:. It was originally going to go on a 11-32/34 cassette setup to help improve my cadence at lower gears / steeper gradients. I then found a Road Link hanger extension and changed the cassette instead (currently 11-42). Steps between gears are a little higher between the lower gears, but the high gearing is the same. My cadence can now be kept at 80-90 up to about 10% it only tapers off after that but not down to the 50-60 I had experienced before, unless really steep >15%.

I've found that I can maintain an 75-85 cadence for quite a while now. Although not quite spinning, it is also not quite grinding. I don't seem to have the heart rate headroom to spin or the out right grunt power to grind for long periods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
@theboxers Try spinning at 90-95 for 1 minute, then 2, etc .

The benefit of spinning is for longer duration rides, multiple hours etc .For shorter events just smash it in whatever gear feels comfortable. Also if you've got the right gearing, spinning up hills/ mountains becomes alot easier-flattening the gradient :smile:

I'm currently doing base training(TR), where I'm in lower power zones for multiple hours, it requires to keep above 85, nearer to 95 for the workout, to train the aerobic without overly stressing the legs

Last edited:

Breedon

Legendary Member
Anyone up to anything later!! Helloooo our there
I've signed up for the 5pm race round innsbruck Kom TWICE.
I'm hoping to be back in time for it.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I've signed up for the 5pm race round innsbruck Kom TWICE.
I'm hoping to be back in time for it.

I will join too. I will be easy meat. The Bobiński house is full of illness with Mrs B vomiting etc last few days, and now the Nipper has it to. Sleep has been a luxury. And then there’s my knee;) Yep, easy meat.

Though given I cannot do an irl ride I might also have a low pace crack at Alp d Zwift midday.

bobinski

Legendary Member
TB, I LOVE my ovalised absolute black rings. I cannot say whether they have made me a more efficient rider. I am pretty sure though that riding with them leaves my quads less fatigued and that they have helped my knee. That may be as simple as spinning a higher cadence and/or th alleged power benefit of the oval. Perhaps try them ? You can always sell them on.

Norry1

Legendary Member
TB, I LOVE my ovalised absolute black rings. I cannot say whether they have made me a more efficient rider. I am pretty sure though that riding with them leaves my quads less fatigued and that they have helped my knee. That may be as simple as spinning a higher cadence and/or th alleged power benefit of the oval. Perhaps try them ? You can always sell them on.

Ovalised seems to be very marmite - people love or hate them.

Does it not affect the recorded power??

bobinski

Legendary Member
Ovalised seems to be very marmite - people love or hate them.

Does it not affect the recorded power??

I recall reading that some do and depending on type of PM. I have not yet justified the £52 for the through axle adapter to put my TCR on the NEO so I can’t say. Perhaps it’s time to do so.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm about to start the ZA workout #10 so if anyone bumps into me during the ride - it will explain why my speed goes up and down so erratically. Looks a tough one to me, soon find out.

theboxers

@theboxers Try spinning at 90-95 for 1 minute, then 2, etc .

The benefit of spinning is for longer duration rides, multiple hours etc .For shorter events just smash it in whatever gear feels comfortable. Also if you've got the right gearing, spinning up hills/ mountains becomes alot easier-flattening the gradient :smile:

I'm currently doing base training(TR), where I'm in lower power zones for multiple hours, it requires to keep above 85, nearer to 95 for the workout, to train the aerobic without overly stressing the legs
I understand the benefits of spinning and do it as much as possible. When doing bkool workouts on the kickr I am able to maintain a 90-100 cadence in zone 1, 2 and 3. It is something to do with the way the kickr applies resistance and bkool reads the power sent by the kickr. I couldn't do it on the pro :sad:.

My issue is my weight and going up hills. I have improved/increased my cadence a lot when climbing, it used to be in the 50's. I'm now able to do 80-85 most of the time up to about 6-7% and usually above 75 on anything steeper than that on the kickr, gearing permitting. As my weight comes down I should be able to continue my cadence increase. When I do go out into the real world I'll have a fairly good understanding of what I can do :bicycle:.

Top Bottom