Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Thinking of getting a Wahoo Kickr Core - anyone else got one, or any strong opinions about them? I've read DC Rainmaker's in depth review and it seems to tick all the boxes I'm after for a reasonable price. I can see there are some slight benefits with the more expensive kickr and Neo - mostly slightly higher max power and max incline simulation - but I don't think these are things that would really affect me on Zwift anyway. Not enough to justify the extra cost anyway. Having said that, any comments or real world experience welcome, cheers.

The core has fundamentally the same features as the Kickr.

Differences, no height adjust for different wheel sizes(road bike only) .No built in cadence sensor.

The core has nearly as much top rated power and incline capabilities.

It allows for the climb to be fitted and Wahoo variable fan.

A good choice Paul

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Thinking of getting a Wahoo Kickr Core - anyone else got one, or any strong opinions about them? I've read DC Rainmaker's in depth review and it seems to tick all the boxes I'm after for a reasonable price. I can see there are some slight benefits with the more expensive kickr and Neo - mostly slightly higher max power and max incline simulation - but I don't think these are things that would really affect me on Zwift anyway. Not enough to justify the extra cost anyway. Having said that, any comments or real world experience welcome, cheers.

Paul, FWIW,I cannot see any good reason not to. Ticks a lot of boxes.

kipster

Guru
Paul, before you push the button on the kickr core, tacx announced a flux s yesterday, an updated and cheaper version of the flux. I guess some of the original flux will get discounted.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Paul, before you push the button on the kickr core, tacx announced a flux s yesterday, an updated and cheaper version of the flux. I guess some of the original flux will get discounted.
Thanks Paul - that is a good point about the Tacx Flux and I have actually considered it. In fact Halfords now have the old model discounted to £450.

The thing is, I can use Tesco Clubcard vouchers for the Kickr, making it only £315 left to pay, and I think on balance I'd prefer the Kickr - it is better spec'd in terms of max power, max incline and accuracy. Also, I'm a bit concerned about the reports that you can't use a long cage derailleur on the Flux because that's exactly what I have on my turbo bike - left on there since I got a 32 tooth cassette fitted from my first DD ride a few years ago. I know this can be changed but it would just be another expense and faff!

Very good point though - thanks

kipster

Guru
Thanks Paul - that is a good point about the Tacx Flux and I have actually considered it. In fact Halfords now have the old model discounted to £450.

The thing is, I can use Tesco Clubcard vouchers for the Kickr, making it only £315 left to pay, and I think on balance I'd prefer the Kickr - it is better spec'd in terms of max power, max incline and accuracy. Also, I'm a bit concerned about the reports that you can't use a long cage derailleur on the Flux because that's exactly what I have on my turbo bike - left on there since I got a 32 tooth cassette fitted from my first DD ride a few years ago. I know this can be changed but it would just be another expense and faff!

Very good point though - thanks
I have a kickr snap and think it's great so the core is a good choice. One of the improvements with the flux s is the deraileur cage length compatibility.

Assuming you're thinking of Evans cycles and using club card. Just be aware they are looking for a buyer as they are in trouble.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I have a kickr snap and think it's great so the core is a good choice. One of the improvements with the flux s is the deraileur cage length compatibility.

Assuming you're thinking of Evans cycles and using club card. Just be aware they are looking for a buyer as they are in trouble.
Yeah thanks - I was aware of that and it's kind of why I thought I'd get a move on and do it now in case they pull the Tesco Clubcard deal!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Just got thru the door - gonna have a cup of tea and wind down - looking at something around 6.30

bobinski

Legendary Member
doing the italy sub 2 as a warm up and may jump into tt race or find something a little later

18-05 one lap hilly

Last edited:

Del C

Veteran
I got a real taste of drafting on Zwift today.

Joined the KISS base training ride today. Just under 47 miles at Zone 2 for a C cat rider, based on 6 laps of the Volcano loop.

First 2 laps, no problem. 3rd lap, momentarily lost concentration on a corner as we started to climb, and suddenly I'd been gapped. Not by much, so I thought I could get back on. Pushed harder, got out of the saddle, but was doing no better than holding the gap, and as I went past the waterfall and started the short descent I was just gradually falling further back.

Rider leader messaged me and asked if I wanted help, then 2 of them dropped back to pace me back up to the group. Over about 3-4 miles they gradually paced me back up to the group, and I made the junction just as we completed lap 3.

It was hard work and I thought I'll never keep this pace going to the end of lap 6, but once I was back in the group, it was actually ok and easier to hold the pace. Made sure I kept my concentration and I stayed well in the group until the end of lap 6 and the end of the ride.

You certainly don't get the feeling of drafting like you do in Bkool, but I learnt today that you certainly go faster for the same effort if you stay in the group.

I'd wondered how I'd lost time to similar powered riders in a couple of earlier races, but I can see how now and how its important to get a good start and make it into a good group that you can work with.

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
I got a real taste of drafting on Zwift today.

Joined the KISS base training ride today. Just under 47 miles at Zone 2 for a C cat rider, based on 6 laps of the Volcano loop.

First 2 laps, no problem. 3rd lap, momentarily lost concentration on a corner as we started to climb, and suddenly I'd been gapped. Not by much, so I thought I could get back on. Pushed harder, got out of the saddle, but was doing no better than holding the gap, and as I went past the waterfall and started the short descent I was just gradually falling further back.

Rider leader messaged me and asked if I wanted help, then 2 of them dropped back to pace me back up to the group. Over about 3-4 miles they gradually paced me back up to the group, and I made the junction just as we completed lap 3.

It was hard work and I thought I'll never keep this pace going to the end of lap 6, but once I was back in the group, it was actually ok and easier to hold the pace. Made sure I kept my concentration and I stayed well in the group until the end of lap 6 and the end of the ride.

You certainly don't get the feeling of drafting like you do in Bkool, but I learnt today that you certainly go faster for the same effort if you stay in the group.

I'd wondered how I'd lost time to similar powered riders in a couple of earlier races, but I can see how now and how its important to get a good start and make it into a good group that you can work with.

Excellent. That Kiss at Base is a great ride and the pacing back is one of those social group things that always impresses me.

bobinski

Legendary Member

^_^
3min slower for the lap than my best and indeed slower at 3.3w/k than some c cat racers! A stitch after 20 min made no difference. But at about 30 min on the second climb I struggled to hold 4w for a minute. 4 of our group of 5 pulled away and that was that. It was all I could do to keep a 20sec gap on the Cat A rider behind me.
Cat C’s obviously sandbagging and a fair number of riders without HR. Knackered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom